Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut the path into two parts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut the path into two parts Post 302831019 by munna_dude on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 04:33:50 AM
Old 07-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
Code:
$ echo ${file%/*}
/usr

Thanks. it is working

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut file details from the path given

Hi, Filenames come as /DataStage/temp/ERT/infile/RU.ER.09.0106.txt in a file. I want to cut first 2 chars of the filename like RU, then next 2 like ER and next like 09 I tried using var=/DataStage/temp/ERT/infile/RU.ER.09.0106.txt echo $var|cut -f 1 -d .(dot) this gives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshada
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a string in two parts and show the other part

hi everybody.. I have a string like : abcd:efgh xxyy:yyxx ssddf:kjlioi ghtyu:jkksk nhjkk:heuiiue please tell me how i can display only the characters after ":" in the output the output should be : efgh yyxx kjlioi jkksk heuiiue please give quick reply.. its urgent..!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamitra
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting parts from an absolute path

Hi, How can I extract parts from an absolute path? For example : The absolute path is /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5.I need the relative path starting with directory given as parameter : for instance if the parameter is dir3 then the result should be dir3/dir4/dir5 I need generic solution... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mortanon
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing parts of ten digits number by parts

I have number in file which contains date and serial number: 2013101000. The last two digits are serial number (00). So maximum of serial number is 100. After reaching 100 it becomes 00 with incrementing 10 which is day with max 31. after reaching 31 it becomes 00 and increments 10... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
31 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a log file to cut off some parts

Dear all, I would like to use SQL's log file to extract information from it. This file can include four different types of instruction with the number of lines involved for each of them: -> (1) "INSERT" instruction with the number of lines inserted -> (2) "UPDATE" instruction with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)