Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print specific line using a variable Post 302831005 by zaxxon on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 04:05:06 AM
Old 07-10-2013
a) Sure, try it out with sed or awk - you can't break anything.
b) Where is the starting point (line number? string pattern?)?
c) Is this homework?

Have a look into positional parameters for shells.
awk takes variables with -v and for sed you can surround the code with either " at the end and start or have the shell variable separated with some more of these: '.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print any required line by its line no using awk and its NR variable

how to print any required line by its line no using awk and its NR variable for eg: ------------ 121343 adfdafd 21213sds dafadfe432 adf.adf%adf --------------- requied o/p if give num=3 it print: 21213sds -------------------------------------- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print a specific line in Shell or awk.

Hi, I want to echo the 15th line from a file named as abc.txt, also i want to echo only the values in that line not the line number. Thanks in advance:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a message at specific line on prompt

Hi Friends, I am using HP-UNIX(ksh). I want to print a message at specific line on the prompt screen. For Example: for num in 1 10 3 145 do echo $num // need to print this on the same line for each number sleep 2 done Actual Output: ========== 1 10 3 145 Expected Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in specific position and print the whole line

I have two files abc.dat and sant.dat (Big file 60k rows) for every line's 1,4 of abc.dat need to seach if this is present on 28,4 of sant.dat every line. if its present the output needs to go to bde.dat Example: contents abc.dat aaaa bbbb cccc dddd contents sant.dat this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssantoshss
4 Replies

5. Programming

Print specific pattern line in c++

Input file: @HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC +HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 TNTTJTTTETceJSP__VRJea`_NfcefbWe Desired output file: >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to print the file content from the specific line

Hi All, I would like to print the content from the specific line of a file . For example... i have file abc.txt which has 100 lines of code ,from this file i would like to print the content from 20,19,18th line......like that Regards Srikanth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to just print out specific line from an input file

Hi, I have a file which contains 2,500,500,432 lines. Can I know what command I should type in order just print out particular line from the input file? eg. I just wanna to see what is the contents at line 522,484,612. Thanks for advice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print String Every Specific Line

Dear All, I have input file like this, 001 059 079 996 758 079 069 059 079 ... ... Desired output: AA 001 BB 059 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with print out line that have different record in specific column

Input file 1: - 7367 8198 - 8225 9383 + 9570 10353 Input file 2: - 2917 3667 - 3851 4250 + 4517 6302 + 6302 6740 + 6768 7524 + 7648 8170 + 8272 8896 + 8908 9915 - 10010 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
18 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)