Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to resize filesystem by resizing the LUN without impact to applications.? Post 302830011 by Just Ice on Sunday 7th of July 2013 09:33:34 PM
Old 07-07-2013
you can change the filesystem while it is running but you are asking for a disaster to happen ... essentially, you will be creating files and then messing up the filesystem underneath it ... it would be similar to jumping into a sand pit expecting a fairly solid spot but getting quick sand instead ...

i strongly advise against resizing filesystems while they are running or in use but if you really want to try it -- try testing the process you envision on a "disposable" server with LVM enabled and confirm if the risks involved are acceptable ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Filesystem resize (AIX 5.3)

Hi.. I have to resize a partition(filesystem). I mean reduce the size one particular partition and increase the size of another. What should I do?? Pls help Bala (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies

2. Solaris

VxVM filesystem resize

This is actually a VxVM question. I have a volume/filesystem spread over 4*146G disks. Now I want to shrink the filesystem - which I can do using vxresize. However, I want to shrink so that two of the four disks that the filesystem occupies are removed from the volume. Can I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Making filesystem on presented lun

Hi, I am working on SunOS perlrate 5.10 Generic_127111-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120. The server has an LSISAS3801E HBA card installed and is connected to a StorageTek 2530 array. I have made a volume on arrary using Common Array Manager. I can see the volume on server: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanban
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Netapp filer LUN Resize. Commands to run on Solaris afterwards.

Hi, I need to increase a veritas filesystem I have currently mounted on a Solaris 10 server. We can resize the LUN on the NetApp filer no problem. What I need to know is what do I do next on the Solaris 10 server I have so that it will see the increase in size. Do I run 'devfsadm' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
3 Replies

5. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

6. AIX

Dynamic LUN resize

Anyone know how to resize a LUN (if SAN disk array has increased the LUN size) and have AIX LVM know about it? Or is it automatic? Equivalent vxvm command is something like: vxdisk resize size= (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resize a filesystem in solaris 10

i am facing a problem, i would like to resize a file system called /pcard04 i am not useing any voulme manager and we have a NETAPP center storge. what i did is root@cms-dev # df -h | grep /pcard04 /dev/dsk/c4t60A9800043346C35636F2D6D4F354743d0s0 5.2G 4.0G 1.0G 80% /pcard04 then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Creating filesystem on new LUN

I'm new to linux and need information on how do I create a filesytem on a dedicated on LUN for RHEL 4 and 5? I want the filesystem to be a ext3 ---------- Post updated at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ---------- Found the answer. This thread can be closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

10. AIX

Resize Lun

Good afternoon! Help with a solution I have AIX 7.1 works through vios I expanded Lun that it is necessary to make that aix saw this change and to expand the section lvm Sorry for my English (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iformats
1 Replies
local-filesystems(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual				      local-filesystems(7)

NAME
local-filesystems - event signalling that local filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
local-filesystems [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The local-filesystems event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all local filesystems listed in fstab(5). moun- tall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. This event is typically used by services that must be started in order for remote filesystems, if any, to be activated. Remember that some users may not consider it wrong to place /usr on a remote filesystem. For most normal services the filesystem(7) event is sufficient. This event will never occur before the virtual-filesystems(7) event. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once local filesystems are mounted might use: start on local-filesystems SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) filesystem(7) mountall 2009-12-21 local-filesystems(7)