Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Problem configuring IP address on remote device Post 302828539 by in2nix4life on Tuesday 2nd of July 2013 03:54:45 PM
Old 07-02-2013
Most printers usually have some application available for local and/or remote configuration.

Maybe this will help:

Lexmark IP Utility

Release Notes
The IP Setup Utility allows initial configuration of individual or multiple print servers.
This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty: : No such device or address

I encoutered the error "stty: : No such device or address" in the korn shell script log. I added STTY EARSE ^H in profile. why iam i getting that error in Korn shell Thanks nandinisagar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandinisagar
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Device Probe freezes after detecting Ethernet address while installing FreeeBSD 7.0

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 from CDs I made a few months ago on a brand new system with parts I just got in from NewEgg. I select the default option from the Boot Loader and it goes into the device probe. Several devices are recognized, but then it freezes at: mskc0: <Marvell Yukon... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideogon
2 Replies

3. Solaris

sar : insufficient address space to load xxxx device records

Hello, i am using Solaris 10, The sar running in my system might be corrupted, but not sure why as there has been no updates to it ( to the best of my knowledge) and it was working fine until few days back. If i try to get sar reports using sar -o <filename> 60 180 there is no error but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimi20
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Configuring xSun for automatic remote login window

Hey folks, I wish every one is just great. I got to do this: I'm trying to configure my Solaris 10 clients to Automatically Show the login windows of the Main Server whenever the Client restarts or a user logs out. By other means, the Client user don't have to Go to Options->Remote-Login->... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ua-agent
5 Replies

5. SCO

Remote printing configuring

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name an ip-adress. This is the configuration file : root@sco1 # cat configuration Banner: on:Always Content types: simple Device: /dev/null Interface:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

7. AIX

Backup to a remote tape device. Is it possible?

Hi all The situation is as follows: We need to take an mksysb image from an AIX 6.1 server. From some reason (irrelevant to this discussion) this server does not have access to a local CD-ROM or a tape drive. We do have another server with AIX 6.1 (but different technology level) which got access... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stty: : No such device or address

hi, i am trying to execute a script through Cron, then everytime it is redirecting a message stty: : No such device or address Unmatched ` here is the cron entry: 35,40,45,50,55 04,05 07 08 * /uv1402/u207/home/bravodba/bestdbscript/shscriptfiles/bravo_main_refresh.sh while the script... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
20 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring static ip address on several systems

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } Hello, I'm have an interesting issue with some Raspberry Pi's which I have on my home network. The pi's are on 192.168.1.102, 192.168.1.103, 192.168.1.104 Something very strange is happening on my network. The pi on 192.168.1.104 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeOnaMac
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Configuring NIC device in Solaris 9 SPARC OS [QEMU]

I have Xubuntu 18.04 installed on my PC. I have created a 10G .img image file created by QEMU-IMG. I have installed inside of it Solaris 9 SPARC edition . If I try and mount the image file as a loop device (using sudo losetup /dev/loop0 /path-to-img-file) I can only mount it as read only. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alphatron150
1 Replies
GRE(4)                                                     BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                     GRE(4)

NAME
gre -- encapsulating network device SYNOPSIS
To compile the gre device into the kernel, place the following line in the kernel configuration file: device gre Alternatively, to load the gre device as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_gre_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The gre network interface pseudo device encapsulates datagrams into IP. These encapsulated datagrams are routed to a destination host, where they are decapsulated and further routed to their final destination. The ``tunnel'' appears to the inner datagrams as one hop. gre interfaces are dynamically created and destroyed with the ifconfig(8) create and destroy subcommands. This driver currently supports the following modes of operation: GRE encapsulation (IP protocol number 47) Encapsulated datagrams are prepended an outer datagram and a GRE header. The GRE header specifies the type of the encapsulated data- gram and thus allows for tunneling other protocols than IP like e.g. AppleTalk. GRE mode is also the default tunnel mode on Cisco routers. This is also the default mode of operation of the gre interfaces. As part of the GRE mode, gre also supports Cisco WCCP protocol, both version 1 and version 2. Since there is no reliable way to distinguish between WCCP versions, it should be configured manually using the link2 flag. If the link2 flag is not set (default), then WCCP version 1 is selected. MOBILE encapsulation (IP protocol number 55) Datagrams are encapsulated into IP, but with a shorter encapsulation. The original IP header is modified and the modifications are inserted between the so modified header and the original payload. Like gif(4), only for IP-in-IP encapsulation. The gre interfaces support a number of ioctl(2)s, such as: GRESADDRS Set the IP address of the local tunnel end. This is the source address set by or displayed by ifconfig(8) for the gre interface. GRESADDRD Set the IP address of the remote tunnel end. This is the destination address set by or displayed by ifconfig(8) for the gre interface. GREGADDRS Query the IP address that is set for the local tunnel end. This is the address the encapsulation header carries as local address (i.e., the real address of the tunnel start point). GREGADDRD Query the IP address that is set for the remote tunnel end. This is the address the encapsulated packets are sent to (i.e., the real address of the remote tunnel endpoint). GRESPROTO Set the operation mode to the specified IP protocol value. The protocol is passed to the interface in (struct ifreq)->ifr_flags. The operation mode can also be given as link0 IPPROTO_GRE -link0 IPPROTO_MOBILE to ifconfig(8). The link1 flag is not used to choose encapsulation, but to modify the internal route search for the remote tunnel endpoint, see the BUGS section below. GREGPROTO Query operation mode. GRESKEY Set the GRE key used for outgoing packets. A value of 0 disables the key option. GREGKEY Get the GRE key currently used for outgoing packets. 0 means no outgoing key. Note that the IP addresses of the tunnel endpoints may be the same as the ones defined with ifconfig(8) for the interface (as if IP is encap- sulated), but need not be, as e.g. when encapsulating AppleTalk. EXAMPLES
Configuration example: Host X-- Host A ----------------tunnel---------- Cisco D------Host E | / +------Host B----------Host C----------+ On host A (FreeBSD): route add default B ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN A D netmask 0xffffffff linkX up ifconfig greN tunnel A D route add E D On Host D (Cisco): Interface TunnelX ip unnumbered D ! e.g. address from Ethernet interface tunnel source D ! e.g. address from Ethernet interface tunnel destination A ip route C <some interface and mask> ip route A mask C ip route X mask tunnelX OR On Host D (FreeBSD): route add default C ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN D A ifconfig greN tunnel D A If all goes well, you should see packets flowing ;-) If you want to reach Host A over the tunnel (from Host D (Cisco)), then you have to have an alias on Host A for e.g. the Ethernet interface like: ifconfig <etherif> alias Y and on the Cisco: ip route Y mask tunnelX A similar setup can be used to create a link between two private networks (for example in the 192.168 subnet) over the Internet: 192.168.1.* --- Router A -------tunnel-------- Router B --- 192.168.2.* / / +------ the Internet ------+ Assuming router A has the (external) IP address A and the internal address 192.168.1.1, while router B has external address B and internal address 192.168.2.1, the following commands will configure the tunnel: On router A: ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1 link1 ifconfig greN tunnel A B route add -net 192.168.2 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 On router B: ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN 192.168.2.1 192.168.1.1 link1 ifconfig greN tunnel B A route add -net 192.168.1 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 Note that this is a safe situation where the link1 flag (as discussed in the BUGS section below) may (and probably should) be set. NOTES
The MTU of gre interfaces is set to 1476 by default, to match the value used by Cisco routers. If grekey is set this is lowered to 1472. This may not be an optimal value, depending on the link between the two tunnel endpoints. It can be adjusted via ifconfig(8). For correct operation, the gre device needs a route to the destination that is less specific than the one over the tunnel. (Basically, there needs to be a route to the decapsulating host that does not run over the tunnel, as this would be a loop.) If the addresses are ambiguous, doing the ifconfig tunnel step before the ifconfig(8) call to set the gre IP addresses will help to find a route outside the tunnel. In order to tell ifconfig(8) to actually mark the interface as ``up'', the keyword up must be given last on its command line. The kernel must be set to forward datagrams by setting the net.inet.ip.forwarding sysctl(8) variable to non-zero. SEE ALSO
gif(4), inet(4), ip(4), netintro(4), protocols(5), ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) A description of GRE encapsulation can be found in RFC 1701 and RFC 1702. A description of MOBILE encapsulation can be found in RFC 2004. AUTHORS
Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de> BUGS
The compute_route() code in if_gre.c toggles the last bit of the IP-address to provoke the search for a less specific route than the one directly over the tunnel to prevent loops. This is possibly not the best solution. To avoid the address munging described above, turn on the link1 flag on the ifconfig(8) command line. This implies that the GRE packet des- tination and the ifconfig remote host are not the same IP addresses, and that the GRE destination does not route over the gre interface itself. The current implementation uses the key only for outgoing packets. Incomming packets with a different key or without a key will be treated as if they would belong to this interface. RFC1701 is not fully supported, however all unsupported features have been deprecated in RFC2784. BSD June 20, 2008 BSD