Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help creating shell script with output that has 2014 calendar and 2 text items from a"fortune" Post 302828339 by vbe on Tuesday 2nd of July 2013 09:38:54 AM
Old 07-02-2013
Look at my updated last post:
Start by doing the calendar part:
When you dont know what to do, you try simple instructions... look at my first post thenlook at the output of cal 2013 doesnt that inspire you? Do you see now the reason of the temporary file ? ( save the output...)
Get that working and we will see next step...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering/Finding a "Fortune" message

Hi, I have had a problem in Linux with the "Fortune" messages (unfortunately! :( ) and I need to trap the message again. It starts with a "IMPORTANT NOTICE". To capture this, I write a script as follows.. #!/bin/sh a=0 while ; do /usr/games/fortune >> fortune.txt a=`expr $a + 1` done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: Recording shell script screen output using "script" command ?

Hello, I need to capture everything showed on a screen by a shell script which needs user interaction. The shell script performs commads such as rsh so normal redirection to a file does not work. I know there is a special unix command call "script" which records screen session but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalfonso.gomez
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Creating VirtualBox-Image as "harddisk" by shell-script

Hello, I'm trying to create a VirtualBox "harddisk" and put an dd-image into it. This image shoudn't work as a virtual maschine, I just want to be able to mount it to an folder. How can I do this with an shell script? Sebi ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Shortcut (to just type "l" but it runs "ls -lah")

How do I create shortcuts? For example: I just want to type one key "l" and have it output the command of "ls -lah" I believe it's creating a file called l with 755 permissions but I'm not sure where to put the file. *if it matters, I'm on a shared hosting web server using cPanel with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the right way to redirect script output use ">" or ">>" ?

Which one of the following are more accurate and why? nohup myScript.sh 1>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh 1>>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal -- displays a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [-smjy13] [[month] year] DESCRIPTION
Cal displays a simple calendar. If arguments are not specified, the current month is displayed. The options are as follows: -1 Display single month output. (This is the default.) -3 Display prev/current/next month output. -s Display Sunday as the first day of the week. (This is the default.) -m Display Monday as the first day of the week. -j Display Julian dates (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -y Display a calendar for the current year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month (1 - 12) and year. If no parameters are specified, the current month's calendar is displayed. A year starts on Jan 1. The Gregorian Reformation is assumed to have occurred in 1752 on the 3rd of September. By this time, most countries had recognized the ref- ormation (although a few did not recognize it until the early 1900's.) Ten days following that date were eliminated by the reformation, so the calendar for that month is a bit unusual. HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. OTHER VERSIONS
Several much more elaborate versions of this program exist, with support for colors, holidays, birthdays, reminders and appointments, etc. For example, try the cal from http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/projects.html or GNU gcal. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD