Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help creating shell script with output that has 2014 calendar and 2 text items from a"fortune" Post 302828323 by dandanhelpmeman on Tuesday 2nd of July 2013 09:07:00 AM
Old 07-02-2013
Yes I don't expect anyone to do the work for me. I was adding the link since I thought I was explaining the assignment poorly. I am quite lost, the professor assumes everyone knows how to do basic commands to start but I don't. I am not a computer science student. This was supposed to be an easy elective class, boy they fooled me! Thanks anyways for the attempt to help. I think I'll just try and see what happens.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering/Finding a "Fortune" message

Hi, I have had a problem in Linux with the "Fortune" messages (unfortunately! :( ) and I need to trap the message again. It starts with a "IMPORTANT NOTICE". To capture this, I write a script as follows.. #!/bin/sh a=0 while ; do /usr/games/fortune >> fortune.txt a=`expr $a + 1` done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: Recording shell script screen output using "script" command ?

Hello, I need to capture everything showed on a screen by a shell script which needs user interaction. The shell script performs commads such as rsh so normal redirection to a file does not work. I know there is a special unix command call "script" which records screen session but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalfonso.gomez
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Creating VirtualBox-Image as "harddisk" by shell-script

Hello, I'm trying to create a VirtualBox "harddisk" and put an dd-image into it. This image shoudn't work as a virtual maschine, I just want to be able to mount it to an folder. How can I do this with an shell script? Sebi ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Shortcut (to just type "l" but it runs "ls -lah")

How do I create shortcuts? For example: I just want to type one key "l" and have it output the command of "ls -lah" I believe it's creating a file called l with 755 permissions but I'm not sure where to put the file. *if it matters, I'm on a shared hosting web server using cPanel with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the right way to redirect script output use ">" or ">>" ?

Which one of the following are more accurate and why? nohup myScript.sh 1>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh 1>>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
mcxquery(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       mcxquery(1)

NAME
mcxquery -- Managed Client (MCX) compositor query tool SYNOPSIS
mcxquery [options] [-user recordName] [-group recordName] [-computer spec] options: -o path Writes output to a file at the specified path. -format space | tab | xml Specifies the format of the output. -computerOnly Ignore values for -user and -group. -useCache Return the cached computer settings in the local node if they are available. -raw Dumps Directory Service data for records contributing to managed preferences. -forApple Convenience for specifying options when sending bug reports to Apple. Currently enables "-raw" and "-for- mat xml". See usage example below. DESCRIPTION
mcxquery is a utility to determine the effective managed preferences for a user logging in to a workgroup from a specific computer. -user Specify the short name of the user record to read managed preferences from. If this parameter is omitted, or a value of "=" speci- fied, the short name of the currently logged in console user will be used. -group Specify the short name of the group record to read managed preferences from. A value of "=" may be specified to mean the name of the workgroup (if any) chosen for the current login session. -computer Specify the computer record to read managed preferences from. The computer can be specified using either an Ethernet MAC address (e.g. "11:22:33:44:55:66"), a Hardware UUID (e.g. "00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF") or the short name of the computer record itself (e.g. "lab1_12"). If this parameter is omitted, or a value of "=" specified, the record for the current computer will be used. EXAMPLES
mcxquery -user jane -group science -computer lab1_12 Displays the managed preferences that would be in effect if user "jane" logged in using workgroup "science" from the computer speci- fied in the "lab1_12" computer record. mcxquery -user jane -group science -computer 11:22:33:44:55:66 Displays the managed preferences that would be in effect if user "jane" logged in using workgroup "science" from a computer with an Ethernet MAC address of 11:22:33:44:55:66. mcxquery -user = -group = -computer guest Displays the managed preferences that would be in effect if the current user logged in using the current workgroup into a computer not specified by any computer record (i.e. a "guest" computer). mcxquery -user jane -group math Displays the managed preferences that would be in effect if the user "jane" logged into the "math" workgroup on the current com- puter. mcxquery -o /tmp/report.txt -format xml -user jane Writes the managed preferences that would be in effect if user "jane" logged into the current computer without a workgroup. The report is written in XML format to /tmp/report.txt. mcxquery -computerOnly -computer lab1_12 Displays the managed preferences for the computer specified in the "lab1_12" computer record only. Useful for determining managed settings when computer is at login window. mcxquery -computerOnly -computer 00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF Displays the managed preferences for the computer with the Hardware UUID "00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF". Supported on Mac OS X 10.6 and later. mcxquery -forApple -o results.plist Creates a plist, suitable for submitting along with bug reports to Apple, containing the managed preferences for the current user on the current computer. Also includes relevant records from Directory Services. Supported on Mac OS X 10.7 and later. SEE ALSO
dscl(1) MacOSX November 30, 2010 MacOSX