Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help creating shell script with output that has 2014 calendar and 2 text items from a"fortune" Post 302828313 by vbe on Tuesday 2nd of July 2013 09:02:32 AM
Old 07-02-2013
Well we are not going to do the work for you, you know that hum...
You seem to be quite lost ( were you listening during the course? ...) English is a second language for me so Im very cautious when it comes to understand assignments... not the same thing as to solve issues...
My understanding is that you are NOT to put in your shell script what you think but it is the expected output of the execution of your script: Not the same thing...
So the script you are to write has to produce for output the claendar 2014 on the left and the output of 2 files on the right,the pr code sample is a sample to me ... you may need to adapt...

Last edited by vbe; 07-02-2013 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typos sorry i thinkmy dislexya is playing with me again...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering/Finding a "Fortune" message

Hi, I have had a problem in Linux with the "Fortune" messages (unfortunately! :( ) and I need to trap the message again. It starts with a "IMPORTANT NOTICE". To capture this, I write a script as follows.. #!/bin/sh a=0 while ; do /usr/games/fortune >> fortune.txt a=`expr $a + 1` done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: Recording shell script screen output using "script" command ?

Hello, I need to capture everything showed on a screen by a shell script which needs user interaction. The shell script performs commads such as rsh so normal redirection to a file does not work. I know there is a special unix command call "script" which records screen session but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalfonso.gomez
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Creating VirtualBox-Image as "harddisk" by shell-script

Hello, I'm trying to create a VirtualBox "harddisk" and put an dd-image into it. This image shoudn't work as a virtual maschine, I just want to be able to mount it to an folder. How can I do this with an shell script? Sebi ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Shortcut (to just type "l" but it runs "ls -lah")

How do I create shortcuts? For example: I just want to type one key "l" and have it output the command of "ls -lah" I believe it's creating a file called l with 755 permissions but I'm not sure where to put the file. *if it matters, I'm on a shared hosting web server using cPanel with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the right way to redirect script output use ">" or ">>" ?

Which one of the following are more accurate and why? nohup myScript.sh 1>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh 1>>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
calendar(1)							   User Commands						       calendar(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [-] DESCRIPTION
The calendar utility consults the file calendar in the current directory and writes lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line to standard output. Most reasonable month-day dates such as Aug. 24, august 24, 8/24, and so forth, are recognized, but not 24 August or 24/8. On Fridays and weekends "tomorrow" extends through Monday. calendar can be invoked regularly by using the crontab(1) or at(1) commands. When the optional argument - is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file calendar in his or her login directory and sends them any positive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily by facilities in the UNIX operating system (seecron(1M)). If the environment variable DATEMSK is set, calendar will use its value as the full path name of a template file containing format strings. The strings consist of conversion specifications and text characters and are used to provide a richer set of allowable date formats in dif- ferent languages by appropriate settings of the environment variable LANG or LC_TIME; see environ(5). Seestrftime(3C) for the list of allowable conversion specifications. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Possible contents of a template The following example shows the possible contents of a template: %B %eth of the year %Y %B represents the full month name, %e the day of month and %Y the year (4 digits). If DATEMSK is set to this template, the following calendar file would be valid: March 7th of the year 1989 <Reminder> ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of calendar: LC_CTYPE, LC_TIME, LC_MES- SAGES, NLSPATH, and TZ. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /tmp/cal* temporary files used by calendar /usr/lib/calprog program used to determine dates for today and tomorrow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), mail(1), cron(1M), ypbind(1M), strftime(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Appropriate lines beginning with white space will not be printed. Your calendar must be public information for you to get reminder service. calendar's extended idea of ``tomorrow'' does not account for holidays. The - argument works only on calendar files that are local to the machine; calendar is intended not to work on calendar files that are mounted remotely with NFS. Thus, `calendar -' should be run only on diskful machines where home directories exist; running it on a disk- less client has no effect. calendar is no longer in the default root crontab. Because of the network burden `calendar -' can induce, it is inadvisable in an environ- ment running ypbind(1M) with a large passwd.byname map. If, however, the usefulness of calendar outweighs the network impact, the super- user may run `crontab -e' to edit the root crontab. Otherwise, individual users may wish to use `crontab -e' to edit their own crontabs to have cron invoke calendar without the - argument, piping output to mail addressed to themselves. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 calendar(1)