Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How can someone hack into a Linux server ? Post 302827681 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 30th of June 2013 11:35:36 AM
Old 06-30-2013
What services do you use, what ports do you have open? If you are not using a web server what is the account www-data for? Any service that is running on the server and that can be approached from the Internet by some port number, can be used for a hack and can be vulnerable. If there is a weakness in a service / daemon, than an attacker could potentially acquire the access rights of the user that is used to run that daemon, bypassing any strong password authentication you might have in place..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hack CPU Utilization

Hi friends, I am currently working on an issue where i should write a program which utilizes Cpu as specified by the user. The function should be provided with an argument ( how much percentage of CPU has to be utilized by the process ) for example CPU(75) should utilize 75% of CPU. The function... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdychandru
11 Replies

2. Solaris

tty hack

hi all, what i want to do when user open terminal like tty5 and do his work i want to see his terminal how can i do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xxmasrawy
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

how to hack linux driver to delay incoming packets

hello, can anyone suggest how to delay the incoming packets ?? or how the packets are prossed inside the kernal and a way to make the packets wait a while?? it wud be vry helpful regards sameer (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameer kulkarni
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Configure the AD Window server with Linux server(google Authenticator is installed)

Hi my name is Manju. ->I have configure the two way authentication on my linux server. ->Now I am able to apply two way authenticator on particuler user. ->Now I want to map this linux server to my AD server. ->Kindly tell me how to map AD(Active Directory) with this linux server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
2 Replies
XTELLD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 XTELLD(8)

NAME
xtelld - daemon receiving messages from xtell(1) clients SYNOPSIS
xtelld [options] DESCRIPTION
xtelld is daemon receiving messages from the xtell(1) client and displaying them to apropriate user. OPTIONS
--help Short help --alone Force server to run standalone --inetd Force server to act as service of inetd --version Print version information and exit. -sX Lifetime for spawned services (in seconds) ex: -s25 maintain connections for up to 25 seconds -mX Spawn no more than X children services at a time ex: -m15 service no more than 15 requests at once. Note: ignored if inetd service -pX Use port X, default: 4224 -n Do not lookup addresses, use IP numbers instead USAGE
Xtell daemon can run either from inetd(preferred) or from command line. If you decide to start it from inetd, add this line to /etc/ser- vices : xtell 4224/tcp # xtell server and this line to /etc/inetd.conf : xtell stream tcp nowait nobody.tty /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/sbin/xtelld Notice that the entries are separated by tabs, not spaces. Restart inetd with killall -HUP inetd What to do if you are a normal user and want to run xtell daemon: You can't run it from inetd, obviously. Just start ./xtelld to use xtell on default port (4224). In this case, xtell can write messages only to you. If there is another user on that system willing to get messages, either s/he starts xtelld on another port (e.g. ./xtelld -p4225), or makes his/her tty writable by you (e.g. chmod a+rw /dev/tty* /dev/pts/*) AUTHOR
Radovan Garabik (garabik@fmph.uniba.sk) SEE ALSO
xtell(1), write(1), talk(1), talkd(8), tty(1) XTELLD(8)