Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How can someone hack into a Linux server ? Post 302827661 by ParanoiaUser on Sunday 30th of June 2013 09:04:02 AM
Old 06-30-2013
I am considering attacks, actually i have proof of them and that's why i am posting here, trying to find out how they can get in other than SSH and FTP.

I do regular updates of my server so as far as i know everything is patched, should be no vulnerabilities,also,no one else has access to the server.

To brute-force my root account 506938 times they will need 253469 IP's cause they get permanently banned after 2 failed login attempts, but even if they did, my password is over 30 randomly generated characters long including upper + lower case letters, numbers, symbols and brackets.

For comparison a 10 char password with upper + lower case letters and numbers has a bit over 107 Billion combinations so i wish them good luck if they try to brute-force their way in lol.

Thats why i've posted here though to find out other ways they can get in other than SSH or FTP login so i can take measures to stop them or reduce their chances of success.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 06-30-2013 at 10:20 AM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hack CPU Utilization

Hi friends, I am currently working on an issue where i should write a program which utilizes Cpu as specified by the user. The function should be provided with an argument ( how much percentage of CPU has to be utilized by the process ) for example CPU(75) should utilize 75% of CPU. The function... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdychandru
11 Replies

2. Solaris

tty hack

hi all, what i want to do when user open terminal like tty5 and do his work i want to see his terminal how can i do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xxmasrawy
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

how to hack linux driver to delay incoming packets

hello, can anyone suggest how to delay the incoming packets ?? or how the packets are prossed inside the kernal and a way to make the packets wait a while?? it wud be vry helpful regards sameer (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameer kulkarni
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Configure the AD Window server with Linux server(google Authenticator is installed)

Hi my name is Manju. ->I have configure the two way authentication on my linux server. ->Now I am able to apply two way authenticator on particuler user. ->Now I want to map this linux server to my AD server. ->Kindly tell me how to map AD(Active Directory) with this linux server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
2 Replies
CRON-APT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       CRON-APT(8)

NAME
cron-apt -- program to update the system using apt-get SYNOPSIS
cron-apt [configfile] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the cron-apt command. cron-apt is a program that uses the information in /etc/cron-apt/action.d/ as arguments to apt-get line by line in file order. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. --help Show summary of options. CONFIGURATION
Configuration can be done by editing /etc/cron-apt/config and by adding rules to /etc/cron-apt/action.d/ The variables that you can set in /etc/cron-apt/config is documented in the configuration example in /usr/share/doc/cron-apt/examples/config From version 0.5.0 the optional FILTERCTRLM attribute is deprecated. SEE ALSO
apt-get (1) aptitude (1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Ola Lundqvist ola@inguza.com for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). This manual is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. CRON-APT(8)