Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vi search starting from line n --- any trick for this ??? Post 302827483 by newbie_01 on Friday 28th of June 2013 08:45:47 PM
Old 06-28-2013
Vi search starting from line n --- any trick for this ???

Hi all,

It does not seem to be possible to use vi to search from text from line n forward or backward or is there a not well known vi trick to do that?

What I am trying to do is for example I am on line 100 and I want to search from line 100 backward or forward for a specific text. Using / and ? seems to either start from the top and from the bottom and not from which line you are currently in.

Can anyone advise if what I am wanting to do is possible or not?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete text from line starting pattern1 up to line before pattern2?

My data is xml'ish (here is an excerpt) :- <bag name="mybag1" version="1.0"/> <contents id="coins"/> <bag name="mybag2" version="1.1"/> <contents id="clothes"/> <contents id="shoes"/> <bag name="mybag3" version="1.6"/> I want to delete line containing mybag2 and its subsequent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I am new to this forum and i would like to get help in this issue. I have a file 1.txt as shown: apple banana orange apple grapes banana orange grapes orange .... Now i would like to search for pattern say apple or orange and then put a # at the beginning of the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I think you ppl did not get my question correctly, let me explain I have 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a cmd to search starting word

example - shsk mss-sdsd-asd i need a command which will search for staring word not others it should search only -shsk cat filename | grep '-' will search whole '-' in the file but i need to search only staring '-' thank u revenna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print line starting with certain string together with its following line?

Dear all, How can I print line starting with certain string together with its following line. Example is as follows: Input file: @M01596:22:000000000-A7YH7:1:1101:16615:1070 2:N:0:1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for words starting and ending with

im trying to search for a WORD in a file which begins with a number followed by a hypen follwed multiple words and end with a dot "." and pront the entire line which matches the above. Please note that there is a space at the begining of each line i/p file 19458 00000-CONTROL-PARA.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line starting with a numeric value and append it to the previous line

Hi, i have a file with multiple entries. After some tests with sed i managed to get the file output as follows: lsn=X-LINK-IN0,apc=661:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1, 00,2110597,2094790,0,81,529,75649011,56435363, lsn=TM1ITP1-AM1ITP1-LS,apc=500:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies
CREATE TEXT SEARCH 
CONFIGURATION(7) SQL Commands CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION(7) NAME
CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION - define a new text search configuration SYNOPSIS
CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION name ( PARSER = parser_name | COPY = source_config ) DESCRIPTION
CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION creates a new text search configuration. A text search configuration specifies a text search parser that can divide a string into tokens, plus dictionaries that can be used to determine which tokens are of interest for searching. If only the parser is specified, then the new text search configuration initially has no mappings from token types to dictionaries, and therefore will ignore all words. Subsequent ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION commands must be used to create mappings to make the configura- tion useful. Alternatively, an existing text search configuration can be copied. If a schema name is given then the text search configuration is created in the specified schema. Otherwise it is created in the current schema. The user who defines a text search configuration becomes its owner. Refer to in the documentation for further information. PARAMETERS
name The name of the text search configuration to be created. The name can be schema-qualified. parser_name The name of the text search parser to use for this configuration. source_config The name of an existing text search configuration to copy. NOTES
The PARSER and COPY options are mutually exclusive, because when an existing configuration is copied, its parser selection is copied too. COMPATIBILITY
There is no CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION [alter_text_search_configuration(7)], DROP TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION [drop_text_search_configuration(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION(7)