Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 9 ndd -set issues
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 9 ndd -set issues Post 302827261 by br1an on Friday 28th of June 2013 10:33:46 AM
Old 06-28-2013
Solaris 9 ndd -set issues

Hello forum,
I have a Solaris 9 Sun Fire v240 server and Sun Fire v440
Recently we made changes and installed a new switch which both of them are connected to it. Cisco Catalyst 3750.

Now the Sun Server v240 is having problems with the network. It was supposed to run at 1000mbs speed.
Code:
ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_speed

I tried changing the settings by the following,

Code:
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_1000fdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_1000hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_100fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_10fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_10hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_autoneg_cap 0

After that the link goes down.
HTML Code:
ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_status
The switches are configured at gigabit speeds.
Now I am confused as to why this is happening. The v440 is running at 1000 speed and it is connected to the same switch as the v240.

I was wondering if any of you have faced this similar problem before.
Could it be the problem with the Ethernet cable? But we are using the same cable that was used on the old switch and it was running at 1000 speeds before.

Thank you very much for your inputs!

Last edited by br1an; 07-04-2013 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: interface is bge0 not ce0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ndd and le1

I am trying to set an interface to 100/Full, but the command I use are getting rejected. I think it is the last argument, but I don't know how to find the correct values. I am trying to use the following script, but change hme to le . echo "Setting hme interface 1: 100mb/full-duplex..." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbrandeb49
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ndd help

Hi Guys, I need help with ndd. I was going through network FAQ but i have more questions then answers regarding ndd. #ndd -set /dev/hme instance 0 #ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 1 #ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 0 #ndd -set /dev/hme adv_10fdx_cap 0 #ndd -set /dev/hme adv_10hdx_cap 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions related to ndd commands

Hello Gurus I would like to know more about ndd commands related to ethernet(NIC) like how to set link_status, link_speed & link_mode as I know how to check these value. And I also would like to know how to make these setting permanents after reboot as I know that these setting will vanish... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
5 Replies

4. Solaris

ndd matters

Hi, I would like to know whether there is any config file that i can refer to for the result of 'ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval'? When i man 'ndd', there is one statement which is -> Each driver chooses which parameters to make visible using ndd. Does it answering my question above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
3 Replies

5. Solaris

ndd /dev/tcp help

Solaris 10 server (SunOS 5.10 Generic_137137_09) I have a services file configured in /etc in there windows clients connect to my server on port 6034-6037 when I do the following netstat | grep TestServices it pulls all the connections active for those ports so right now I have 10 clients... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
3 Replies

6. Solaris

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_host_param

Following command was set up in startup script on Solaris 8 servers - improved network transfers of files from one server to the another (doubled transfer speed). ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_host_param '10.140.20.10 sendspace 279600 recvspace 279600 timestamp 1' Now they are getting a new server... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: RTM
15 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 vs Solaris 10 compatibility issues !

Hello, I recently upgraded our system from Solaris 8 to 10. It seems couple of binaries crashed in the new server Solaris 10. Before digging too much on it , from theory it sounds like any binary that is built on Solaris 8 (using gmake) is supposed to be compatible with Solaris 10 , right ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudsa
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nLocal sendmail issues when hostname not set in official domain name

Hi, I'm having issues with sendmail when I try to send host to host mail. I've had to change the "my official domain name" line to mycompany.com to get the mails through the external spam filter, when a mail was sent with hostname.mycompany.com it was blocked. I had to change the Dj macro... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Ndd adv_autoneg_cap showing read only

Hi, Recently, I had to disable autoneg in one of my servers having ixgbe1 interface. While using below command I got "Permission denied" error: ndd -set /dev/ixgbe1 adv_autoneg_cap 0 On investigating further I found that adv_autoneg_cap is showing as read-only parameter. Although it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
1 Replies
ndd(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   ndd(1M)

NAME
ndd - get and set driver configuration parameters SYNOPSIS
ndd [-set] driver parameter [value] DESCRIPTION
ndd gets and sets selected configuration parameters in some kernel drivers. Currently, ndd only supports the drivers that implement the TCP/IP Internet protocol family. Each driver chooses which parameters to make visible using ndd. Since these parameters are usually tightly coupled to the implementation, they are likely to change from release to release. Some parameters may be read-only. If the -set option is omitted, ndd queries the named driver, retrieves the value associated with the specified parameter, and prints it. If the -set option is given, ndd passes value, which must be specified, down to the named driver which assigns it to the named parameter. By convention, drivers that support ndd also support a special read-only parameter named ``?'' which can be used to list the parameters supported by the driver. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Getting Parameters Supported By The TCP Driver To see which parameters are supported by the TCP driver, use the following command: example% ndd /dev/tcp ? The parameter name ``?'' may need to be escaped with a backslash to prevent its being interpreted as a shell meta character. The following command sets the value of the parameter ip_forwarding in the dual stack IP driver to zero. This disables IPv4 packet forward- ing. example% ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 0 Similarly, in order to disable IPv6 packet forwarding, the value of parameter ip6_forwarding example% ndd -set /dev/ip ip6_forwarding 0 To view the current IPv4 forwarding table, use the following command: example% ndd /dev/ip ipv4_ire_status To view the current IPv6 forwarding table, use the following command: example% ndd /dev/ip ipv6_ire_status ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nca(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5), arp(7P), ip(7P), ip6(7P), tcp(7P), udp(7P) NOTES
The parameters supported by each driver may change from release to release. Like programs that read /dev/kmem, user programs or shell scripts that execute ndd should be prepared for parameter names to change. The ioctl() command that ndd uses to communicate with drivers is likely to change in a future release. User programs should avoid making dependencies on it. The meanings of many ndd parameters make sense only if you understand how the driver is implemented. SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 1999 ndd(1M)