Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File cannot execute
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File cannot execute Post 302826987 by DGPickett on Thursday 27th of June 2013 04:57:36 PM
Old 06-27-2013
If gnuplot is a shell script, it needs to start with a #! line as described in man execvp.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No permission to execute file

I am logged in as root and am trying to execute a file called x_cleanup_equdata but keep getting the message ksh: x_cleanup_equdataNEW: 0403-006 Execute permission denied. I did FTP this file from another server using GET, would this make the difference? I tried chmod 666 but still no luck. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markbeeson
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a file from a different account

Okay, I have this homework assignment, and I think I have it all down path, but I just need help with this one line. Write a C Shell script that can be run under any CECS unix account and the script produces the following three lines output on the screen. Requirements 1. The first line in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DemonGal711
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot execute binary file

HI, i am trying to execute one .bin file which is a pre-installed (not compiled by me). But I am getting the error "cannot execute binary file".I checked the permissions and everything is ok. also I checked ldd <bin-filename> andit showed a msg "not a dynamic executable" Can anyone help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhag281
4 Replies

5. SuSE

can not execute binary file

When I am trying to execute a script created by Perl2exe in Linux SLES 8.1 running with virtual machine on mainframe s/390 ....I am getting "cannot execute binary file".... In the linux server which are not in mainframe the scripts are fine..... Thanks for help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anu10
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute file without extension

Hi, I have some perl script with names like abc.pl etc. I am Solaris 9 and i am not able to run "abc", either I have to do perl abc.pl OR ./abc.pl. Could you someone provide me an insight or reference on this. So that I can understand the basic, and apply it for my purpose. Thanks John. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I execute my file so it does one of 2 algorithms? such as ./file SPN??

Hi I completed a project for school where we had to do cpu scheduling by reading in a file processes.txt and then doing 2 algorithms on it and printing out the order in which processes execute (current time to current process executing) and then doing some calculations (turn around time, etc.).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razrnaga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Cannot execute sh file using button click in php file in apache

I the problem that i facing is cannot use button click to execute the sh file that store in the same location. the program file is a php file and running in apache2. the code that i run is show below <button onclick="sh()" name="sh">SH</button> <script type='text/javascript'> function sh()... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhengkoon8
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and if exists , execute a different file

Good Morning All, I'm a novice and please excuse me if i did miss some of the forum rules. What my intention is, i have a file (services) residing @ /u01/Oracle/services. I know i can use the find command to find the "service" file. I get this file from a windows box and there is no certain... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)