Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Is it bad to Install the Whole Repository? Post 302826963 by Danneskjold on Thursday 27th of June 2013 04:02:29 PM
Old 06-27-2013
Is it bad to Install the Whole Repository?

Hey Guys,
This week I installed Solaris for the first time, (trying to fix my ZFS array with some movies on it) and I noticed that unlike Linux or FreeBSD, their package management application almost encourages installing whole categories of software at a time. Theirs even a keyboard shortcut for selecting a category - like "Drivers" or "Web Services." It got me thinking, is there any harm in just installing an entire repository like that? Disk space & bandwidth aren't so scarce in most cases to make the few tens of gig's matter and it can be such a pain to have to install a new utility or library every 4 minutes when changing things up . . . . And also, if one installed everything beforehand, they wouldn't have worry about installation troubles on a tool or such during a downtime.

Now granted . . . Solaris has at most 1/10th the packages as FreeBSD or Mint . . . . but it's till something to think about. Who doesn't want three versions of every every slideshow application ever written AND the braille typesetting tools in 40 languages on the same laptop? Well. I'm gonna give it a try and see anyhow.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Best Repository for SUSE 10.1 install?

I've made a few attempts at an OpenSuse10.1 clean install using a boot.iso and network repository install dir. I've succesfully done a few network installs before and know what I'm doing with the procedure, however I seem to be getting problems with the connection to the remote repository. It's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

4. AIX

bos.rte.5.2.0.10 - Failure to Install (/usr/lib/methods/cfgsf bad permissions)

I have a RS/6000 B80 which just had a disk failure; I've added a new drive and am in the process of rebuilding. I have reinstalled AIX 5.2 and am now looking to begin updating. (fyi this will be the second time I have attempted to rebuild this machine, the first time i installed ML 5200-10 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wesiman
1 Replies

5. Linux

install macbook pro fedora10 ???((<<if can install, how to install? >> ))

If may install can Tells everybody ??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzBSD
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Trying to install boost 1.4.1 without success maybe yum repository is wrong

Hi I following the tutorial to install boost 1.4.1 in centos 5.6 32 bit But without success maybe it doesn't find it in my repository in yum , but also when I compile the lib It doesn't find the libs . The tutorial link: Compiling gearman on CentOS 5.6 - gearman | Google Groups the error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Yum cannot install from repository

Hi guys, thanks for you help on this issue. I built a dvd repository on my server and when I try to install a package from it, I get this error ftp://10.0.0.12/pub/Packages/httpd-2.2.15-26.el6.x86_64.rpm: PYCURL ERROR 9 - "Server denied you to change to the given directory" I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: InstallMedia.

Most of my commands are returning this error on RHEL 6 64 bit: Also I tried installing many sofwtares, but it fails to correctly work. For example I treid installing dos2unix: # rpm -ivh dos2unix-5.3.3-5.ram0.98.src.rpm 1:dos2unix warning: user mockbuild does not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: India_2014
0 Replies

10. SuSE

Repository out of date.

I get this message when attempting to update OpenSUSE 42.2: Error building the cache: Warning: Repository 'Main Update Repository' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server. Nothing to do. What's happening? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geos0xAA55
2 Replies
patchmedia(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    patchmedia(1M)

NAME
patchmedia - modify Solaris media with patches and packages SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/patchmedia -d media-root [-v] [-o iso] [-l label] pkg_or_patch [pkg_or_patch ...] DESCRIPTION
The patchmedia utility takes a list of patches and packages as input and updates the install miniroot in media-root (the root directory of an on-disk image of a Solaris installation media) to include the specified patches and packages. These patches and packages are also placed in a subdirectory called DU under the Solaris install image. For example: media-root/Solaris_10/DU When booting a system from the updated media, the patches and packages will be part of the booted Solaris image. They will also be applied to the target system being installed at the end of the installation process. If -o is specified, a bootable ISO image is created in the file media.iso that contains the Solaris install media. The ISO image can then be burned onto a CD/DVD with utilities such as cdrw(1) or cdrecord(1). (The latter is not a SunOS man page.) OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d media-root Top-level directory of on-disk image of Solaris installation media. This is option must be specified. -o iso Create a Solaris ISO image of media-root. -l label Label/volume name of the ISO image (if -o option is specified). If -o is not specified, the name of Solaris directory under media-root, for example, Solaris_10, will be used. -v Verbose. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pkg_or_patch [pkg_or_patch ...] One or more patches or packages (you can have both patches and packages in a single command) with which the Solaris installation media media-root will be updated. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Updating a Solaris Install Image with Patch and Package The following command updates the Solaris install image in s10u1 by adding patch 123456-07 and package SUNWfoo. # /usr/bin/patchmedia -d s10u1 SUNWfoo 123456-07 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), mkcd(1M), attributes(5) mkisofs(8), (/usr/share/man/man8/mkisofs.8), in the SUNWfsman package (not a SunOS man page) SunOS 5.11 29 Jul 2008 patchmedia(1M)