Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Rsync for back up, external HD Post 302825895 by vbe on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 11:02:42 AM
Old 06-25-2013
Wanted to thank you for your contribution!
As I already said rsync wasnt what it was supposed to be for that is why you have so little feed back, as for rsync making something bootable, that certainly cant be done the only standard unix tool to my knowlege able to do so is dd for you will have to create a bootstrap and that no ordinary copy command can do..that is why backup utilities that are able to create bootable tapes use dd to write at the beginning of tape then pass to tar... I might give a try when I have time and a bit $$ to spend on an extra external usb disk and see what happens with dd from a MacOS at home (my laptop in my bedroom...)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync back?

Hi, I am in the process of developing backup script using rsync, my code is bellow: EXCLUDE_DIR="/home/kannanpg/mscdr/src/ex1" rsync -az -e ssh -v --exclude $EXCLUDE_DIR --delete $HOSTTOBACKUP:$SOURCE $DR_BACKUP_DIR/daily.0 >$tempfile 2>&1 even my exclude dir is coping.. what is wrong in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to an external list of URLs

I'm going to have a text file formatted something like this: some_name http://www.someurl.com/ another_name http://www.anotherurl.com/ third_name http://www.thirdurl.com/ I need to write a script that can rsync from a file path I'll set, to each URL in the list. Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibsen
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to back up with rsync

I'm trying to write a script to back up with rsync, the script I am posting below: nomServer="shiva horus isis" dirshiva="/etc /faturamento" shivaListExc="/usr/local/bin/shivaListExclRsync" dumpDir="$dumpFile/Shiva" dateBkp=`date +%A` for nServer in ${nomServer} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmoreti
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
SVN::Notify::Mirror::Rsync(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   SVN::Notify::Mirror::Rsync(3pm)

NAME
SVN::Notify::Mirror::Rsync - Mirror a repository path via Rsync SYNOPSIS
Use svnnotify in post-commit: svnnotify --repos-path "$1" --revision "$2" --handler Mirror::Rsync --to "/path/to/local/htdocs" [--svn-binary /full/path/to/svn] --rsync-host remote_server [--rsync-delete=[yes|no]] [--rsync-dest "/path/on/remote/server"] [--rsync-args arg1 [--rsync-args arg2...]] [[--rsync-ssh] [--ssh-user remote_user] [--ssh-identity /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa]] or better yet, use SVN::Notify::Config for a more sophisticated setup: #!/usr/bin/perl -MSVN::Notify::Config=$0 --- #YAML:1.0 '': PATH: "/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin" 'path/in/repository': handler: Mirror to: "/path/to/www/htdocs" 'some/other/path/in/repository': handler: Mirror to: "/path/to/local/www/htdocs" rsync-host: "remote_host" rsync-dest: "/path/on/remote/www/htdocs" ssh-user: "remote_user" ssh-identity: "/home/user/.ssh/id_rsa" DESCRIPTION
Keep a directory in sync with a portion of a Subversion repository. Typically used to keep a development web server in sync with the changes made to the repository. This directory can either be on the same box as the repository itself, or it can be remote (via SSH connection). USAGE
Depending on whether the target is a "Local Mirror" or a Remote Mirror, there are different options available. All options are available either as a commandline option to svnnotify or as a hash key in SVN::Notify::Config (see their respective documentation for more details). Working Copy on Local host Because 'svn export' is not able to be consistently updated, the local rsync'd directory must be a full working copy. The remote server will only contain the ordinary files (no Subversion admin files). The files in the working copy must be writeable (preferrably owned) by the user identity executing the hook script (this is the user identity that is running Apache or svnserve respectively). Local Mirror Please see " SVN::Notify::Mirror " for details. Remote Mirror Used for directories not located on the same machine as the repository itself. Typically, this might be a production web server located in a DMZ, so special consideration must be paid to security concerns. In particular, the remote mirror server may not be able to directly access the repository box. o rsync-host This value is required and must be the hostname or IP address of the remote host (where the mirror directories reside). o rsync-delete The default mode of operation is to delete remote files which are not present in the local working copy. NOTE: this will delete any unversioned files in the remote directory tree. Unless you have all of your files under version control, you should pass the "--no-rsync-delete" or "--rsync-delete no" option. o rsync-dest This optional value specifies the path to update on the remote host. If you do not specify this value, the same path as passed in as the "--to" parameter will be used (this may not be what you meant to do). o rsync-args This optional parameter can be used to pass additional commandline options to the rsync command. You can use this multiple times in order to pass multiple options. The default args are "--archive --compress". See the "rsync-ssh" options for using SSH instead of RSH (rather than pass those commands via "--rsync-args" o rsync-ssh This optional parameter signals that you wish to use SSH instead of whatever the default remote shell program is configured in your copy of rsync. You may need to set one or more of the "ssh-*" parameters as well. o ssh-user If the remote user is different than the local user executing the postcommit script, you can specify it with this parameter. You would often use this in conjunction with the next parameter. o ssh-identity This value may be optional and should be the full path to the local identity file being used to authenticate with the remote host. If you are setting the ssh-user to be something other than the local user name, you will typically also have to set the ssh-identity. AUTHOR
John Peacock <jpeacock@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2008 John Peacock This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. SEE ALSO
SVN::Notify, SVN::Notify::Config, SVN::Notify::Mirror perl v5.14.2 2012-07-04 SVN::Notify::Mirror::Rsync(3pm)