Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command is not search the complete pattern Post 302825869 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 09:57:41 AM
Old 06-25-2013
It could be as simple as quoting your search string:-
Code:
grep -h "${INPUT_FILE_T}" PCF_STARHUB_20130625_1

It's an odd search string though. From the man page I have on RHEL 6.1, I have:-
Code:
A regular expression may be followed by one of several repetition operators:
      ?      The preceding item is optional and matched at most once.
      *      The preceding item will be matched zero or more times.
      +      The preceding item will be matched one or more times.
      {n}    The preceding item is matched exactly n times.
      {n,}   The preceding item is matched n or more times.
      {,m}   The preceding item is matched at most m times.
      {n,m}  The preceding item is matched at least n times, but not more than m times.

So that you mean that you are looking for a record that starts (doesn't have to be at the beginning of the line) with an S, then the H is optional and then I get confused.

Are you trying to use the ? as a single character each time?

I would think a better search string would be more like:-
Code:
INPUT_FILE_T="^SH....................................US"

to represent Start of line, SH, then any 3 characters, then US. The remainder of the line can be ignored.

Do either of these meet your needs?

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-25-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Grammar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern by grep

hai folks, i am vijay very new to this website. My query: Search patterns from root directory to all directories by using grep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep line pattern search

Hello everyone, I have been trying to get a list of all files containing a line of this type: };#followed by anything with any spaces (0 or more or 0 or more tabs) before the } and between each of the characters. I have been trying this : grep '*}*;*#*' *.c but I have not been fully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a pattern using grep

Hi I am facing the below problem. I have set of lines in which i have to search for only the line which matches with the pattren "/" only. input:- /*+ some text */ /*+ some text */ /* Remove rows from a table of survey results. */ /* Add a survey respondent's name and answers. */ /*... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search using grep command !

Hi, I am trying to do pattern search using grep command. But i donot know what mistake i'm doing. I am not getting the expected Result. could any one please help me out? $ cat b.ksh AasdjfhB 57834B 86234B 472346B I want to print the line which is starting with either A or 8 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikesh29
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use grep to search a specific pattern?

Hi All, My file contain the below data : w_SA_infa1.log:INFO : LM_36620 : () Command task instance : running command , with command value . Binary file w_SA_infa1.log.bin matches w_SA_infa2.log:INFO : LM_36620 : (30377|1427806528) Command task instance : running command , with command value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aliva Dash
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pattern Search with grep

Hello, I have a bunch of zip files like SS_SAMPLE_101_123.zip SS_101_123.zip SS_SAMPLE_121_345.zip SS_SAMPLE_222_678.zip SS_123_890.zip SS_.zip The 'ls' should search and list the files such as SS_101_123.zip and SS_123_890.zip alone. Could you please guide me with this.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file pattern using grep command

I 'm writing a script to search particular strings from log files. The log file contains lines start with *. The file may contain many other lines start with *. I need to search a particular line from my log file. The grep command is working in command line , but when i run my script, Its printing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to search pattern corresponding to input from user

One more question: I want to grep "COS_12_TM_4 pattern from a file look likes : "COS_12_TM_4" " ];I am taking scan_out as the input from the user. How to search "COS_12_TM_4" in the file which is corresponds to scan_out (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)