Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mysqldump rotate backup
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mysqldump rotate backup Post 302825783 by timgolding on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 06:42:03 AM
Old 06-25-2013
Mysqldump rotate backup

I have a very simple script that uses a cron job to take a daily backup of our orders database.

Code:
echo "Dumping ORDERS database";
mysqldump -u root --password='mypassword' -h '1.1.1.1' --opt --compress ORDERS $tbl_names > /Volumes/Files_Backup_1/db_backups/orders.sql
echo "Copied database to external disk";

This will make a single backup on the external hard disk. My worry is if somehow the orders database was TRUNCATED, DROPPED then that evening the database backup would overwrite the empty version of the database to the backup and i would be in big trouble. What i need to know how to do it understand how i can use mysqldump to make a weeks worth of daily backup. Maybe a mon, tue, wed, thur, fri, sat, sun backup or something similar.

I could do

Code:
mysqldump ... > database_$(date +%Y_%m_%d).sql

Or something but then my backup disk would fill up. I need some way of deleting the older backups. Any ideas

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mysqldump script without hardcode password

OS: Linux ambglx02 2.6.16.60-0.21-default #1 Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Shell: bash Currently I have a mysqldump script to backup my mysql database, the command is as below: /opt/novell/mysql/bin/mysqldump --add-drop-table -u root -p -h mydb > /home/john/mydb.sql ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mysqldump bus error - cored dumped

hi, I need to backup a database but I'm getting the error "bus error - core dumped" just after I run mysqldump command. The server has installed solaris 9. Any help would be appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mysqldump slowing down the process?

Hi All, I have a data calculation process-a perl script running each and every hour which will do some calculations on the data stored in a mysql server. Normally it tooks around 2minutes (max) to complete. But in case if i did any actions on the linux box where the database is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for mysqldump command

I want to take a backup of a database and redirect the output of the whole process to a log file. I am using the below command: mysqldump -A --add-drop-table > mysql-daily-backup.sql &> /tmp/backup_log/mysql.log Is there anything wrong with the syntax? ---------- Post updated at 08:32 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with my crontab file, using mysqldump

My crontab file tells cron to run a certain shell script at 10:30 AM every day. The shell script backs up my database with mysqldump and then runs a sed script that does some editing of the backup file. I have programmed the shell script to write an error message to a file I have in my home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mysqldump certain tables

Hi, I have to upload part of my database periodically when i make changes to product data etc. However I only want to upload certain tables. We suffer from bandwidth chock here, so i want to write a couple of separate scripts that upload parts of the database that changed. The database is large... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with automatically Import from special mysqldump

Hi @ all I need a little bit help with a tricky problem ... Here´s the situation: We´ve 2 MySQL-Servers, one is productive, the other is Backup. At the productive Server there runs every 2 hours a cron Job which does a Dump from MySQL-DB with script 'automysqlbackup.sh' and copy it then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
7 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)