Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Rsync for back up, external HD Post 302825071 by marek on Sunday 23rd of June 2013 09:52:35 AM
Old 06-23-2013
Thank you vbe and del for your hints!

Sorry for answering so late. I have had to read tons of manual pages of rsync, cp, dd, cpio, tar, rsnapshot.

My question was concerning an exact backup of my HD on a USB-HD and how to do it incrementally.

@drl

Off course rsync is also a tool for external HDs not only over network.

If I am right the command I will use in future is the following to make a incremental backup - you may still prevent a catastrophe with some helpful hints:

Code:
sudo rsync -tavu --delete / /Volumes/backup_2013/

The option -t preserves modification times. -a archive mode. -v verbose. -u update (only newer files are transferred - this switch I was looking for). --delete means all files which are deleted on the source HD are deleted on the destination too. Because I asked for an exact copy of my actual HD, this is the option I was looking for.

To make the external HD bootable (MacOS Lion) I have to make some researches again ... It is for a later post. (I am not sure, whether it will possible with an encrypted HD).

marek

---------- Post updated at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:23 PM ----------

To make the external HD bootable (only to make this thread complete for some MacOS X users):

First try: I opened the HD Utility in the Utilities folder. I was hoping to find something like "Make Disk Bootable", but no help. I will not claim, that there is no such "button". I simply did not find it.

I have no Install MacOS X Disk Image in my Applications Folder. My idea was, to run the installer over the external HD to make it bootable. But to download this large installer file over the App Store, just to make an external HD bootable, I thought that this is overkill. So I decided to try the following and it worked:

The old version of CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), which is now payable, is working! I just have had to run a copy of the HD over the external HD ...

I expected from this forum, to help me to find the right switches for rsync, and perhaps tell me, how to make an external HD bootable over the Shell. Disappointed!

Hope this helps somebody out there

marek

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync back?

Hi, I am in the process of developing backup script using rsync, my code is bellow: EXCLUDE_DIR="/home/kannanpg/mscdr/src/ex1" rsync -az -e ssh -v --exclude $EXCLUDE_DIR --delete $HOSTTOBACKUP:$SOURCE $DR_BACKUP_DIR/daily.0 >$tempfile 2>&1 even my exclude dir is coping.. what is wrong in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to an external list of URLs

I'm going to have a text file formatted something like this: some_name http://www.someurl.com/ another_name http://www.anotherurl.com/ third_name http://www.thirdurl.com/ I need to write a script that can rsync from a file path I'll set, to each URL in the list. Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibsen
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to back up with rsync

I'm trying to write a script to back up with rsync, the script I am posting below: nomServer="shiva horus isis" dirshiva="/etc /faturamento" shivaListExc="/usr/local/bin/shivaListExclRsync" dumpDir="$dumpFile/Shiva" dateBkp=`date +%A` for nServer in ${nomServer} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmoreti
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
BOOTCDBACKUP(1) 						   bootcd utils 						   BOOTCDBACKUP(1)

NAME
bootcdbackup - create a bootable offline backup of a unix system SYNOPSIS
bootcdbackup [-i] [-v] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url] [-nomount] [-2diskconf <file>] <dev> <name> <builddir> DESCRIPTION
bootcdbackup creates a offline backup from a installed system. You need a running bootcd to boot the system with. This CD/DVD is booted on the system and bootcdbackup creates a bootable CD/DVD with the bootcd kernel and the backup disk as tar-file. To restore or clone the system, boot the CD/DVD image and install it with bootcd2disk -c <name> on the system. bootcdbackup can try to discover the disk partition by searching for fstab on the given partition. A other way to backup the partition ta- ble is the program bootcdmk2diskconf which creates a configuration file on a running system. OPTIONS
-i The bootcdbackup runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which includes the file "bootcdbackup.conf", default is "/etc/bootcd". -url <url> If bootcdbackup is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcdbackup use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the configured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. -nomount The target disk should not be mounted and no search for fstab is done. --cpio Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of cpio can be forced. --star Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of star can be forced. -2diskconf <file> The parameter configures a bootcd2disk.conf for the restore of the system done by bootcd2disk. The configuration file can be created with the command bootcdmk2diskconf. <dev> Configures the device where bootcdbackup finds the file "fstab" and discover the configuration for the restore. <name> The name of the backup (no blanks!) is used on the creation time and to restore the backup with bootcd2disk -c <name>. <builddir> Builddir is an directory on the backup system where bootcdbackup build the backup CD/DVD. Space for the CD/DVD image, for compression and the data is needed! All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcdbackup.conf Configuration for bootcdbackup. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcdbackup.conf bootcdbackup.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcdbackup 2007-07-05 BOOTCDBACKUP(1)