Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with awk'ing formatting this Post 302825011 by RudiC on Sunday 23rd of June 2013 02:03:13 AM
Old 06-23-2013
With some searching in these fora you could have dreamed up a solution yourself, as quite similar problems have been posted here before. Anyhow - try this and adapt to your needs:
Code:
awk     'FNR==9         {for (n=1; n<=NF; n++) if ($n==SRCH) {COL=n; break};  next}
         FNR==11        {print SRCH ":" $COL}
        ' SRCH="SHORTP_POLICY"  file
SHORTP_POLICY:720

The lines you are looking for are lines 9 and 11, resp., as nl does not count empty lines if not asked to do so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting using awk

Let's say I write a simple script that contains the following: date | awk '{print $1}' date | awk '{print $2}' Of course, when I run the script the output will look similar to: Tue Mar What if I want my ouput to be on one line as follows: Tue Mar What changes would I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe'ing grep output to awk

This script is supposed to find out if tomcat is running or not. #!/bin/sh if netstat -a | grep `grep ${1}: /tomcat/bases | awk -F: '{print $3}'` > /dev/null then echo Tomcat for $1 running else echo Tomcat for $1 NOT running fi the /tomcat/bases is a file that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using AWK

Hi, I need to insert a line at a particular line number. I am using the below code: sed $REV_LINO_NO" i\\ # $CURRENT_DATE $NAME Changed pwd for cindy\'s id" file > file1 This code works, but the formatting is not as I expected. For example, I get lines as shown below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK formatting help.

Dear all I require help with AWK regarding this situation Input is : fn1 12345 fn1 23456 fn3 231513 fn1 22325 fn3 123125 Desired output is fn1 12345 23456 22325 fn3 231513 123125 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peasant
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting awk

when i try this awk its giving out put as below. awk '!(/^$/||/--/||/selected/||/^ *$/){print $1}' tmp.txt output ===== 1 2010-08-03-12.31.26.126000 how excluede the 1st line ? i mean i want output only 2nd line i.e 2010-08-03-12.31.26.126000; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a report using awk

Our vendor produces a report that I would like to format in a particular way. Here is the sample output from their report: # AA.INDEX 2 11 2 239 52 (7,2) 07 MAY 11 203.1 55 # ACCOUNT 2 89561 2 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaller
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk formatting

Hi all, I'm writing a simple awk code: awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"};{print "Type\tNumber\ttypes\tTotal";};{print $1, "\t", $2, "\t", $3, "\t", $4, "\t";}' db_query.txt it gives me the result: Type Number types Total XXX 498.0 5100.0 5274.661 Type Number types Total... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : finding and formatting

Hi , I was trying to find files of a particular date and did that but then I also wanted to format a field based on some condition so had put another if else in awk. Now it is getting the files of particular date or also the files which are matching that if else condition. find . -name "*"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data formatting using awk

Need assistance on the data extraction using awk Below is the format and would like to extract the data in another format ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Minimum Temperature (deg F ) DAY 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)