Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print events from two lines with a common identifier Post 302824543 by rbatte1 on Friday 21st of June 2013 05:11:22 AM
Old 06-21-2013
So, just to get the logic right first:-
  • You want to get the start record of an alarm and grab the first five fields
  • You want to append the clear-alarm record fields 5 & 6
If this is true, then it depends on the volume of data as to weather it is easier to write a shell script with greps or a more complex awk

You could:-
  • Get a list of all the common identifiers then use grep to get those records and blend them together.
  • Split the record into two files, strip out the fields you don't want then use paste

There are probably plenty of other ways too. What are your thoughts on this?

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

COMMON_ROOT=/files/common: is not an identifier

hi, i am getting this error while executing the script with cron:- COMMON_ROOT=/files/common: is not an identifier Manual run is ok, not getting any error. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinmoriwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to take out common of two lines in a file

I use sed and awk. I am not a big expert but to some extent. I have file like this PFA0165c ctg_6843 PFA0335w ctg_6843 ctg_6871 ctg_6977 ctg_6654 ctg_7052 ctg_6899 ctg_6840 ctg_7202 ctg_6638 PFA0155c ctg_6877 ctg_7169 ctg_7179 ctg_6843 ctg_6871 Now I want output like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_ali49
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common lines from files

Hello guys, I need a script to get the common lines from two files with a criteria that if the first two columns match then I keep the maximum value of the 3rd column.(tab separated columns) Sample input: file1: 111 222 0.1 333 444 0.5 555 666 0.4 file 2: 111 222 0.7 555 666... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common lines from files

Hello guys, I need a script to get the common lines from two files with a criteria that if the first two columns match then I keep the maximum value of the 5th column.(tab separated columns) . 3rd and 4th columns corresponds to the row which has highest value for the 5th column. Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common numbers and print yes or no

Hi I have 2 files with following data First file, sp|Q676U5|A16L1_HUMAN, Autophagy-related protein 16-1 OS=Homo sapiens GN=ATG16L1 PE=1 SV=2, Maximum coiled-coil residue probability: 0.657 in position 163. Maximum dimeric residue probability: 0.288 in position 163. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum column values based in common identifier in 1st column.

Hi, I have a table to be imported for R as matrix or data.frame but I first need to edit it because I've got several lines with the same identifier (1st column), so I want to sum the each column (2nd -nth) of each identifier (1st column) The input is for example, after sorted: K00001 1 1 4 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two files and print based on common variable value.

Hi All, i have below two files. FILE: NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="" MOUNTPOINT="" NAME="/dev/sda1" TYPE="part" SIZE="500M" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="/dev/sda" MOUNTPOINT="/boot" NAME="/dev/sda2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
3 Replies
alarm(2)							   System Calls 							  alarm(2)

NAME
alarm - schedule an alarm signal SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int alarm(unsigned int sec); DESCRIPTION
The alarm() function causes the system to generate a SIGALRM signal for the process after the number of real-time seconds specified by sec- onds have elapsed (see signal.h(3HEAD)). Processor scheduling delays may prevent the process from handling the signal as soon as it is generated. If seconds is 0, a pending alarm request, if any, is cancelled. Alarm requests are not stacked; only one SIGALRM generation can be scheduled in this manner; if the SIGALRM signal has not yet been gen- erated, the call will result in rescheduling the time at which the SIGALRM signal will be generated. The fork(2) function clears pending alarms in the child process. A new process image created by one of the exec functions inherits the time left to an alarm signal in the old process's image. RETURN VALUES
If there is a previous alarm request with time remaining, alarm() returns a non-zero value that is the number of seconds until the previous request would have generated a SIGALRM signal. Otherwise, alarm() returns 0. ERRORS
The alarm() function is always successful; no return value is reserved to indicate an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), fork(2), signal.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Jun 2001 alarm(2)