Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Rsync for back up, external HD Post 302824527 by vbe on Friday 21st of June 2013 04:52:21 AM
Old 06-21-2013
Well Marek I suppose the lack of response comes from the usage you make of rsync... designed for remote copy...
And so most of us to do what you do would use cpio (or even tar...) or dd for exact copies
As to your Q3, with rsync like that you can forget about it... but I would give a try with dd ( your external disk must be same size or bigger, only if bigger, the difference will be lost...) I cant promise anything since I only did this on scsi devices almost identical or same standards... but it be worth trying ( but will it damage your external disk??). For if it works you would have an exact copyand then you could try to boot from it, if this works, you can return to your rsync for following backups I suppose

My 2 cents...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync back?

Hi, I am in the process of developing backup script using rsync, my code is bellow: EXCLUDE_DIR="/home/kannanpg/mscdr/src/ex1" rsync -az -e ssh -v --exclude $EXCLUDE_DIR --delete $HOSTTOBACKUP:$SOURCE $DR_BACKUP_DIR/daily.0 >$tempfile 2>&1 even my exclude dir is coping.. what is wrong in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to an external list of URLs

I'm going to have a text file formatted something like this: some_name http://www.someurl.com/ another_name http://www.anotherurl.com/ third_name http://www.thirdurl.com/ I need to write a script that can rsync from a file path I'll set, to each URL in the list. Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibsen
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to back up with rsync

I'm trying to write a script to back up with rsync, the script I am posting below: nomServer="shiva horus isis" dirshiva="/etc /faturamento" shivaListExc="/usr/local/bin/shivaListExclRsync" dumpDir="$dumpFile/Shiva" dateBkp=`date +%A` for nServer in ${nomServer} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmoreti
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm)

NAME
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom - the smallest unit in a rsync configuration file SYPONSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use RoPkg::Rsync::Atom; sub main { my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'uid', value => 'nobody', ); print $a->ToString(0),$/; return 0; } main(); DESCRIPTION
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom is a class used by RoPkg::Rsync modules. The Atom is considered the smallest part of any rsync configuration file. An atom can be (at this moment): param blank comment METHODS
All methods, throw the OutsideClass exception, if you use them as class methods. Example: perl -MRoPkg::Rsync::Atom -e 'RoPkg::Rsync::Atom->Type;' Called outside class instance Besides OutsideClass the methods are throwing other exceptions as well. Refer to each method documentation for more information. new() The constructor of the class. new accepts 3 parameters grouped inside a hash: *) type - type of the atom *) name - name of the atom *) value - value of the atom The type parameter must always be present. If the type parameter is not present, a Param::Missing exception is raised. At this moment, the atoms have 3 types: *) param - a parameter in the standard form (name = value) *) comment - a comment *) blank - a blank line (or only with separators) If the value of the type parameter is not one of the ones specified a Param::Wrong exception is raised. Examples: example 1 (param): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'gid', value => 'users', ); example 2 (param): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(type => 'param'); $a->Name('gid'); $a->Value('users'); print 'Name of the atom is:',$a->Name,$/; example 3 (comment): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'comment', value => '# this is the group id', ); example 4 (blank): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'blank', value => q{ }, ); Name($new_name) The Name method is a get/set method. If $new_name exists (and his value is defined) then the set behaviour is selected, otherwise the method acts as a get method. Returns the name of the atom. Value($new_value) The Value method is a get/set method. If $new_value exists (and his value is defined) then the set behaviour is selected, otherwise the method acts as a get method. Returns the value of the atom. ToString($indent, $spaces) Returns the string representation of the atom. Accepts 2 parameters: indent and spaces. $indent is a true/false value specifing that the string representation should be prefixed with a tab character; $spaces is used to compute the number of spaces that should be added after the atom name, so that the total length of the parameter name to match the $spaces value. Example: my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'gid', value => 'users', ); print $a->ToString(0, 6),$/, $a->ToString(0, 5),$/, $a->ToString(0, 4),$/, $a->ToString(0, 3),$/, $a->ToString(1, 6),$/, $a->ToString(1, 5),$/, $a->ToString(1, 4),$/, $a->ToString(1, 3),$/; The result is: gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users Type Returns the type (string representation) of the atom. PREREQUISITES
perl 5.008 (or later) is required. Besides perl, you must have the following: RoPkg::Exceptions English Scalar::Util SEE ALSO
RoPkg::Rsync::Node RoPkg::Rsync::ConfFile RoPkg::Exceptions AUTHOR
Subredu Manuel <diablo@iasi.roedu.net> LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 Subredu Manuel. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.8.8 2006-06-09 RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm)