Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Python...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Python... Post 302824325 by figaro on Thursday 20th of June 2013 04:25:07 PM
Old 06-20-2013
The scientific and high performance computing distributions generally offer Python as prt of the standard install. Search the distrowatch.com site for examples.
Mind you, these are distributions that have a custom made install script that happens to include Python and some Python libraries. There is obviously nothing stopping you from writing a script of your own on top of a bare bones Linux installation.
The BSD ecosystem generally does not have Python upon installation.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python

I have written a small practice Python script to determine the prime numbers between 2-10, for practice. Although I have pored over this script numurous times, I have not found the problem. The problem is: Python will not print "is a prime" when a number is a prime. After examining the code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furtoes00
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is python?

I heard that its a new programming language but ill like to get a deeper explaination of it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
1 Replies

3. Programming

Python: bash-shell-like less functionality in the python shell

Hello, Is there some type of functional way to read things in the Python shell interpreter similar to less or more in the bash (and other) command line shells? Example: >>> import subprocess >>> help(subprocess) ... ... I'm hoping so as I hate scrolling and love how less works with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Python 3.1 vs 2.6?

i just found python 3.1 in the Ubuntu Software Center today... yes i know, i've probably been under a rock... but my question is, would installing 3.1 cause any conflicts with the 2.6 installation in terms of retro compatibility with python based apps? i don't know if 3.1 is supposed to replace... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sterist
0 Replies

5. Programming

Help with Python. Please and thanks.

Hi everybody, I've been experimenting with Python lately and for the most part it's been a smooth ride. I have one little problem that maybe one of you can help me with. PROBLEM: I have list with one word per line. EXAMPLE apples oranges pears grapes etc... I also have a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o0110o
2 Replies

6. SuSE

"ssh suse-server 'python -V' > python-version.out" not redirecting

Okay, so I have had this problem on openSUSE, and Debian systems now and I am hoping for a little help. I think it has something to do with Python but I couldn't find a proper Python area here. I am trying to redirect the output of "ssh suse-server 'python -V'" to a file. It seems that no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Druonysus
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

**python** unable to read the background color in python

I am working on requirement on spreadsheet in python scripting. I have a spreadsheet containing cell values and with background color. I am able to read the value value but unable to get the background color of that particular cell. Actually my requirement is to read the cell value along... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to execute python script on remote with python way..?

Hi all, I am trying to run below python code for connecting remote windows machine from unix to run an python file exist on that remote windows machine.. Below is the code I am trying: #!/usr/bin/env python import wmi c = wmi.WMI("xxxxx", user="xxxx", password="xxxxxxx")... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
1 Replies

9. Programming

Create a C source and compile inside Python 1.4.0 to 3.7.0 in Python for ALL? platforms...

Hi all... As you know I like making code backwards compatible for as many platforms as possible. This Python script was in fact dedicated for the AMIGA A1200 using Pythons 1.4.0, 1.5.2, 1.6.0, 2.0.1, and 2.4.6 as that is all we have for varying levels of upgrades from a HDD and 4MB FastRam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
PYGETTEXT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      PYGETTEXT(1)

NAME
pygettext - Python equivalent of xgettext(1) SYNOPSIS
pygettext [OPTIONS] INPUTFILE ... DESCRIPTION
pygettext is deprecated. The current version of xgettext supports many languages, including Python. pygettext uses Python's standard tokenize module to scan Python source code, generating .pot files identical to what GNU xgettext generates for C and C++ code. From there, the standard GNU tools can be used. pygettext searches only for _() by default, even though GNU xgettext recognizes the following keywords: gettext, dgettext, dcgettext, and gettext_noop. See the -k/--keyword flag below for how to augment this. OPTIONS
-a, --extract-all Extract all strings. -d, --default-domain=NAME Rename the default output file from messages.pot to name.pot. -E, --escape Replace non-ASCII characters with octal escape sequences. -D, --docstrings Extract module, class, method, and function docstrings. These do not need to be wrapped in _() markers, and in fact cannot be for Python to consider them docstrings. (See also the -X option). -h, --help Print this help message and exit. -k, --keyword=WORD Keywords to look for in addition to the default set, which are: _ You can have multiple -k flags on the command line. -K, --no-default-keywords Disable the default set of keywords (see above). Any keywords explicitly added with the -k/--keyword option are still recognized. --no-location Do not write filename/lineno location comments. -n, --add-location Write filename/lineno location comments indicating where each extracted string is found in the source. These lines appear before each msgid. The style of comments is controlled by the -S/--style option. This is the default. -o, --output=FILENAME Rename the default output file from messages.pot to FILENAME. If FILENAME is `-' then the output is sent to standard out. -p, --output-dir=DIR Output files will be placed in directory DIR. -S, --style=STYLENAME Specify which style to use for location comments. Two styles are supported: o Solaris # File: filename, line: line-number o GNU #: filename:line The style name is case insensitive. GNU style is the default. -v, --verbose Print the names of the files being processed. -V, --version Print the version of pygettext and exit. -w, --width=COLUMNS Set width of output to columns. -x, --exclude-file=FILENAME Specify a file that contains a list of strings that are not be extracted from the input files. Each string to be excluded must appear on a line by itself in the file. -X, --no-docstrings=FILENAME Specify a file that contains a list of files (one per line) that should not have their docstrings extracted. This is only useful in conjunction with the -D option above. If `INPUTFILE' is -, standard input is read. BUGS
pygettext attempts to be option and feature compatible with GNU xgettext where ever possible. However some options are still missing or are not fully implemented. Also, xgettext's use of command line switches with option arguments is broken, and in these cases, pygettext just defines additional switches. AUTHOR
pygettext is written by Barry Warsaw <barry@zope.com>. Joonas Paalasmaa <joonas.paalasmaa@iki.fi> put this manual page together based on "pygettext --help". pygettext 1.4 PYGETTEXT(1)