Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Rsync for back up, external HD Post 302824209 by marek on Thursday 20th of June 2013 10:57:41 AM
Old 06-20-2013
Rsync for back up, external HD

Hello all!

I am quite unsure with all options of rsync. Here my backup configuration: I am on Mac X (10.8) and want an exact copy of my HD to an external HD. I formatted the new USB drive with Mac OS extended (Journaled, Encrypted) and made in my shell the following command and got the following errors:
Code:
sudo rsync -a / /Volumes/backup_2013/
Password:
rsync: opendir "/dev/fd/3" failed: Bad file descriptor (9)
file has vanished: "/Users/mstep/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.DiskUtility.savedState/data.data"
file has vanished: "/Users/mstep/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.DiskUtility.savedState/window_1.data"
file has vanished: "/Users/mstep/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.DiskUtility.savedState/window_2.data"
file has vanished: "/Users/mstep/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.DiskUtility.savedState/windows.plist"
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]

I think, this is due to the fact, that I was working while this very long backup was running. And probably there were some temporary files of the format just before I run the backup ...

My questions:

1. Is this the good option (rsync -a) for the first backup?
2. Is for the following backups `rsync -a --delete HD/ backup` right?
3. Is it possible to make the backup bootable (it is password protected)?

Thank you for your hints!

marek - greetings from very hot Munich

Last edited by vbe; 06-20-2013 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: code tags...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync back?

Hi, I am in the process of developing backup script using rsync, my code is bellow: EXCLUDE_DIR="/home/kannanpg/mscdr/src/ex1" rsync -az -e ssh -v --exclude $EXCLUDE_DIR --delete $HOSTTOBACKUP:$SOURCE $DR_BACKUP_DIR/daily.0 >$tempfile 2>&1 even my exclude dir is coping.. what is wrong in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to an external list of URLs

I'm going to have a text file formatted something like this: some_name http://www.someurl.com/ another_name http://www.anotherurl.com/ third_name http://www.thirdurl.com/ I need to write a script that can rsync from a file path I'll set, to each URL in the list. Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibsen
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to back up with rsync

I'm trying to write a script to back up with rsync, the script I am posting below: nomServer="shiva horus isis" dirshiva="/etc /faturamento" shivaListExc="/usr/local/bin/shivaListExclRsync" dumpDir="$dumpFile/Shiva" dateBkp=`date +%A` for nServer in ${nomServer} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmoreti
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
svn-fast-backup(1)					      General Commands Manual						svn-fast-backup(1)

NAME
svn-fast-backup - very fast backup for Subversion fsfs repositories. SYNOPSIS
svn-fast-backup [-q] [-k{N|all}] [-f] [-t] [-s] repos_path backup_dir DESCRIPTION
svn-fast-backup uses rsync snapshots for very fast backup of a Subversion fsfs repository at repos_path to backup_dir/repos-rev, the latest revision number in the repository. Multiple fsfs backups share data via hardlinks, so old backups are almost free, since a newer revision of a repository is almost a complete superset of an older revision. This is good for replacing incremental log-dump+restore-style backups because it is just as space-conserving and even faster; there is no inter-backup state (old backups are essentially caches); each backup directory is self-contained. It has the same command-line interface as svn-hot-backup(1) (if you use --force), but only works for fsfs repositories. svn-fast-backup keeps 64 backups by default and deletes backups older than these; this can be adjusted with the -k option. OPTIONS
-h, --help Shows some brief help text. -q, --quiet Quieter-than-usual operation. -k, --keep=N Keep a specified number of backups; the default is to keep 64. -k, --keep=all Do not delete any old backups at all. -f, --force Make a new backup even if one with the current revision exists. -t, --trace Show actions. -s, --simulate Don't perform actions. AUTHOR
Voluntary contributions made by many individuals. Copyright (C) 2006 CollabNet. 2006-11-09 svn-fast-backup(1)