Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Help with kernel panic - not syncing slackware 13.0 Post 302824041 by in2nix4life on Thursday 20th of June 2013 06:46:34 AM
Old 06-20-2013
If you're only goal is to grab data, have you considered booting up with a live CD such as Knoppix (Knoppix Linux Boot CD, Download Disk and Documents, Discuss, Get Help)? You mentioned being familiar with Ubuntu. They also provide a live CD (Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu). Either should allow access to the drive(s) and their data providing they're not physically damaged.
This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel panic

hello :-) I have one problem with my LiLO... I installed PLD Linux on my computer but when it boots, the last thing I can see is: request_module Root fs not mounted VFS: Cannot open root device 03:01 Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01 and the system stops :-( what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgas
1 Replies

2. Linux

kernel panic

I have compiled kernel version 2.6.12 in my linux box mandrake 10.1. I have followed www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html instructions. I have copied .config file from /usr/src/linux and lightly modified it (only the processor type) by xconfig. I have compiled the source and modules.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davide71
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel panic - not syncing == While RHEL AS install

I am trying to Install RHEL AS 4 on x86 pc, through VNC and got the below error, Am not pretty sure as how to resolve this. Can some one guide me through the process, or what might be missing.... Have Installed RHEL, many a times but cudnt find this out... Wud appreciate an early reply ......... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
0 Replies

4. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kernel panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting

Hi ALL, I am getting error.. kernal panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting. Please help me.. Thanks Jack (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what does the kernel panic mean?

Hi, all: How should I obtain the reason of kernel panic? How should I debug the program which result in a kernel panic? What can I get from the panic information? li, kunlun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

kenel panic not syncing

I installed a new kernel 3.0.22 on ubuntu server 11.04 32 bit. when I select the kenel from boot loader it stops when Code: loading initial ramdisk... I added all_generic_ide at the end of linux line and also added dev/sda1 to linux line: root=UUID=dev/sda1 now it says that ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Error: kernal panic not syncing

HI All, server stopped here, we are suspecting server crash, need install new OS. Any suggestions on this. kindly help to us. Thanks Rajesh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
0 Replies

9. SCO

Kernel Panic

Hello when i booting my SCO Server I become this Message PLS can anyone help me? Cheers Christoph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cga
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Kernel panic-not syncing

dear experts linux i am using RHEL 5.5 run on a physical server. i am front of a big trouble, the Rhel can't run correctly , it show me this error message in black screen: reading all physical volumes. this my take a while .. found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2 9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wassimpb
1 Replies
PANIC(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  PANIC(9)

NAME
panic -- Bring down system on fatal error SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/systm.h> void vpanic(const char *fmt, va_list ap); void panic(const char *fmt, ...); DESCRIPTION
The panic() and vpanic() functions terminate the NetBSD system. The message fmt is a printf(3) style format string which is printed to the console and saved in the variable panicstr for later retrieval via core dump inspection. A newline character is added at the end automati- cally, and is thus not needed in the format string. If a kernel debugger is installed, control is passed to it after the message is printed. If the kernel debugger is ddb(4), control may be passed to it, depending on the value of ddb.onpanic. See options(4) for more details on setting ddb.onpanic. If control is not passed through to ddb(4), a ddb(4)-specific function is used to print the kernel stack trace, and then control returns to panic(). If control remains in panic(), an attempt is made to save an image of system memory on the configured dump device. If during the process of handling the panic, panic() is called again (from the filesystem synchronization routines, for example), the system is rebooted immediately without synchronizing any filesystems. panic() is meant to be used in situations where something unexpected has happened and it is difficult to recover the system to a stable state, or in situations where proceeding might make the things worse, leading to data corruption/loss. It is not meant to be used in scenar- ios where the system could easily ignore and/or isolate the condition/subsystem and proceed. In general developers should try to reduce the number of panic() calls in the kernel to improve stability. RETURN VALUES
The panic() function does not return. SEE ALSO
sysctl(3), ddb(4), ipkdb(4), options(4), savecore(8), swapctl(8), sysctl(8) BSD
September 29, 2011 BSD