Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Emails issue
Operating Systems Solaris Emails issue Post 302823365 by Junaid Subhani on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 07:35:32 AM
Old 06-19-2013
Wrench Emails issue

Dear all,
I am facing an issue in my data Center environment related to mails being generated by users on my machines.

Let me walk you through the issue one by one.

Each system (100+ servers in my DC) has a user sysmon on it that sends mails to a specific Email ID. The user runs scripts related to system monitoring i.e. scripts monitoring disk space , system health etc.

Example name of 2 systems are mercury0 & mercury1

The scripts work fine and send Emails to the ID given.

The issue arises when the /var/spool/mqueue directory on my MTA Relay host servers starts to increase with Emails being stuck in them.

Those emails are addressed to the system's own users.
Mercury0 is sending an Email to itself using sysmon ID.

Example of two mail outputs found on my MTA Relay host servers are below:

I did did the following on the /var/spool/mqueue directory on one of my MTA Relay host servers:

Code:
sudo cat * | grep sysmon | grep mercury0

Code:
H??To: sysmon@mercury0.domain.com

H??To: sysmon@mercury1.domain.com

How can I make sure that such mails do not pile up in the /var/spool/mqueue directory of my MTA Relay host servers?
Is there a way to make sure such mails being addressed to a systems own ID be forwarded to another Email ID but hte best option would be to simply discard them.

P.S. I have placed the IP address of MTA Host servers in the submit.cf file on all client machines.

Regards

Last edited by Junaid Subhani; 06-19-2013 at 08:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

send emails to groups

Hi, I am trying to send alert emails through my script to users using a group name like DL_Failure Group@company.com but I am not able to send it, I thought it is because of the space in between and I tried to sedn is with quotes "DL_Failure Group@company.com" but that too did not work....I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating emails

Hi, I posted here 2 months ago, saying I wanted to learn UNIX for my work running a small ISP. I had the problem of practically no technical support for our system. Many courses later, I can just about do everything I need to do. The server is a FreeBSD i386. I can now create email accounts for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferret495
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

duplicate emails

Hi all new here. Question. My mail server is sending out duplicate emails but its not system wide. We have several virtual host that use our email server and some are having the duplicate emails issue and some are not. For example in the office some people are getting duplicate emails but i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emails on HP-UX

Hi Guys I am running Oracle database on HP-UX, every now and then I get emails that are sent to me by root. When check with the sysadmin know one have a clue as to where does the emails come from. I need to stop this emails...how do I check which script is sending me the emails. Thanks ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Adding a footer to all emails

I am running Solaris 10 and have been asked to create a footer for all emails that go from the server. I have been looking around but no dice. I am not sure how complicated or easy it is to do it. Our system generates emails every night and then sends them out to different people on the list. We... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

examples of hyperlinks in emails

Hi All, Im using bash on a sloaris box. I am using mailx to send emails from the unix box to internal email accounts. Does anyone have an example of how I can generate a hyperlink within the email body so that when the recipeint recieves the email, they can click on the link and the link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.forward for forwarding emails

Hi, I want to forward my emails to a different email account on Unix. I created a .forward file with just one line in it. forward_to@yahoo.com The emails are not getting forwarded to the forward_to email address, instead they are going to my original inbox. Is it required that I run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxtron
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send emails

hi guys I need to send emails to some accounts 1. I need sendmail up and running right? 2. I need my local sendmail to use an existing SMTP server to send emails (10.x.x.x)? in that case what I need to configure to send emails? since using mail myaccount@companyame.com is not sending emails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting emails from a file

i have a large html file that has emails like something@domain.com and somethingdomain.com how can i print the emails? its fine if duplicates show up and it doesnt need to save into a file or anything, just whatever is the easiest way to make some basic code for this thanks! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
2 Replies

10. Debian

Problem sending out emails

Hi, Our email relay server is a debian server. The application team in our company regularly receives email alerts from one hpux server (which is routed through the email relay server). Today we had problems whereby our company's email recipients are not receiving email alerts from the hpux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
etrn(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  etrn(1M)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-b] [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the processing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connec- tions to their service providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b System boot special case. Make sure localhost is accepting SMTP connections before initiating the SMTP session with server-host. This option is useful because it prevents race conditions between sendmail(1M) accepting connections and server-host attempting to deliver queued mail. This check is performed automatically if no client-hosts are specified. -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
No environment variables are used. However, at system start-up, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail reads /etc/default/sendmail. In this file, if the variable ETRN_HOSTS is set, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail parses this variable and invokes etrn appropriately. ETRN_HOSTS should be of the form: "s1:c1.1,c1.2 s2:c2.1 s3:c3.1,c3.2,c3.3" That is, white-space separated groups of server:client where client can be one or more comma-separated names. The :client part is optional. server is the name of the server to prod; a mail queue run is requested for each client name. This is comparable to running: /usr/lib/sendmail -qR client on the host server. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using etrn Inserting the line: ETRN_HOSTS="s1.domain.com:clnt.domain.com s2.domain.com:clnt.domain.com" in /etc/default/sendmail results in svc:/network/smtp:sendmail invoking etrn such that ETRN commands are sent to both s1.domain.com and s2.domain.com, with both having clnt.domain.com as the ETRN argument. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server.domain.com:client1.domain.com,client2.domain.com" results in two ETRN commands being sent to server.domain.com, one with the argument client1.domain.com, the other with the argument client2.domain.com. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server1.domain.com server2.domain.com" results in set of a ETRN commands being sent to both server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com; each set contains one ETRN command for each host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email, with that host name as the argument. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file /etc/default/sendmail Variables used by svc:/network/smtp:sendmail ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) RFC 1985 NOTES
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. SunOS 5.11 10 Aug 2004 etrn(1M)