Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prstat rss and swap
Operating Systems Solaris Prstat rss and swap Post 302822227 by sunnys7143 on Monday 17th of June 2013 07:01:27 AM
Old 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hergp
That's right. The operating system tries to avoid this situation by paging (and swapping). But if a process protects too much of it's address space against paging, it sometimes has a really hard time to do so.
thanks a lot,
currently rss is reaching size.
Code:
PID USERNAME  SIZE   RSS STATE  PRI NICE      TIME  CPU PROCESS/NLWP       
12503 weblogic 3048M 2968M sleep   59    0   6:32:06 0.1% java/150

so, if it RSS reaches SIZE , then OS tries to use the new memory in swap. here, can't we manually increase the size of the process. OR any parameter to limit the process size , so that we can increase it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rss

Could RSS-support mod be installed for this forum? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

prstat O/P

Good Evening everyone, I am confused about prstat O/P as it shows memory values which are different from actual value.Below is the O/P of prstat command and swap commands. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 48 root 2113M 1590M 1.2% 45:09.39 32% 31 daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. Solaris

RSS pmap and prstat

Hi, I have some question about memory in Solaris. How it's possible that prstat -a show me that some process using 230M RSS and when I'm using pmap -x show me that this same process using only 90M RSS ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deivo
0 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
prstat(1M)																prstat(1M)

NAME
prstat - report active process statistics SYNOPSIS
prstat [-acJLmRtTv] [-C psrsetlist] [-j projlist] [-k tasklist] [-n ntop[,nbottom]] [-p pidlist] [-P cpulist] [-s key | -S key ] [-u euidlist] [-U uidlist] [-z zoneidlist] [-Z] [interval [count]] The prstat utility iteratively examines all active processes on the system and reports statistics based on the selected output mode and sort order. prstat provides options to examine only processes matching specified PIDs, UIDs, zone IDs, CPU IDs, and processor set IDs. The -j, -k, -C, -p, -P, -u, -U, and -z options accept lists as arguments. Items in a list can be either separated by commas or enclosed in quotes and separated by commas or spaces. If you do not specify an option, prstat examines all processes and reports statistics sorted by CPU usage. The following options are supported: -a Report information about processes and users. In this mode prstat displays separate reports about processes and users at the same time. -c Print new reports below previous reports instead of overprinting them. -C psrsetlist Report only processes or lwps that are bound to processor sets in the given list. Each processor set is identified by an integer as reported by psrset(1M). The load averages displayed are the sum of the load averages of the specified processor sets (see pset_getload- avg(3C)). Processes with one or more LWPs bound to processor sets in the given list are reported even when the -L option is not used. -j projlist Report only processes or lwps whose project ID is in the given list. Each project ID can be specified as either a project name or a numerical project ID. See project(4). -J Report information about processes and projects. In this mode prstat displays separate reports about processes and projects at the same time. -k tasklist Report only processes or lwps whose task ID is in tasklist. -L Report statistics for each light-weight process (LWP). By default, prstat reports only the number of LWPs for each process. -m Report microstate process accounting information. In addition to all fields listed in -v mode, this mode also includes the percentage of time the process has spent processing system traps, text page faults, data page faults, waiting for user locks and waiting for CPU (latency time). -n ntop[,nbottom] Restrict number of output lines. The ntop argument determines how many lines of process or lwp statistics are reported, and the nbottom argument determines how many lines of user, task, or projects statistics are reported if the -a, -t, -T, or -J options are specified. By default, prstat displays as many lines of output that fit in a window or terminal. When you specify the -c option or direct the out- put to a file, the default values for ntop and nbottom are 15 and 5. -p pidlist Report only processes whose process ID is in the given list. -P cpulist Report only processes or lwps which have most recently executed on a CPU in the given list. Each CPU is identified by an integer as reported by psrinfo(1M). -R Put prstat in the real time scheduling class. When this option is used, prstat is given priority over time-sharing and interactive pro- cesses. This option is available only for superuser. -s key Sort output lines (that is, processes, lwps, or users) by key in descending order. Only one key can be used as an argument. There are five possible key values: cpu Sort by process CPU usage. This is the default. pri Sort by process priority. rss Sort by resident set size. size Sort by size of process image. time Sort by process execution time. -S key Sort output lines by key in ascending order. Possible key values are the same as for the -s option. See -s. -t Report total usage summary for each user. The summary includes the total number of processes or LWPs owned by the user, total size of process images, total resident set size, total cpu time, and percentages of recent cpu time and system memory. -T Report information about processes and tasks. In this mode prstat displays separate reports about processes and tasks at the same time. -u euidlist Report only processes whose effective user ID is in the given list. Each user ID may be specified as either a login name or a numerical user ID. -U uidlist Report only processes whose real user ID is in the given list. Each user ID may be specified as either a login name or a numerical user ID. -v Report verbose process usage. This output format includes the percentage of time the process has spent in user mode, in system mode, and sleeping. It also includes the number of voluntary and involuntary context switches, system calls and the number of signals received. Statistics that are not reported are marked with the - sign. -z zoneidlist Report only processes or LWPs whose zone ID is in the given list. Each zone ID can be specified as either a zone name or a numerical zone ID. See zones(5). -Z Report information about processes and zones. In this mode, prstat displays separate reports about processes and zones at the same time. OUTPUT
The following list defines the column headings and the meanings of a prstat report: PID The process ID of the process. USERNAME The real user (login) name or real user ID. SIZE The total virtual memory size of the process, including all mapped files and devices, in kilobytes (K), megabytes (M), or gigabytes (G). RSS The resident set size of the process (RSS), in kilobytes (K), megabytes (M), or gigabytes (G). The RSS value is an estimate provided by proc(4) that might underestimate the actual resident set size. Users who want to get more accurate usage information for capacity plan- ning should use the -x option to pmap(1) instead. STATE The state of the process: cpuN Process is running on CPU N. sleep Sleeping: process is waiting for an event to complete. run Runnable: process in on run queue. zombie Zombie state: process terminated and parent not waiting. stop Process is stopped. PRI The priority of the process. Larger numbers mean higher priority. NICE Nice value used in priority computation. Only processes in certain scheduling classes have a nice value. TIME The cumulative execution time for the process. CPU The percentage of recent CPU time used by the process. If executing in a non-global zone and the pools facility is active, the percent- age will be that of the processors in the processor set in use by the pool to which the zone is bound. PROCESS The name of the process (name of executed file). LWPID The lwp ID of the lwp being reported. NLWP The number of lwps in the process. With the some options, in addition to a number of the column headings shown above, there are: NPROC Number of processes in a specified collection. MEMORY Percentage of memory used by a specified collection of processes. The following columns are displayed when the -v or -m option is specified USR The percentage of time the process has spent in user mode. SYS The percentage of time the process has spent in system mode. TRP The percentage of time the process has spent in processing system traps. TFL The percentage of time the process has spent processing text page faults. DFL The percentage of time the process has spent processing data page faults. LCK The percentage of time the process has spent waiting for user locks. SLP The percentage of time the process has spent sleeping. LAT The percentage of time the process has spent waiting for CPU. VCX The number of voluntary context switches. ICX The number of involuntary context switches. SCL The number of system calls. SIG The number of signals received. Under the -L option, one line is printed for each lwp in the process and some reporting fields show the values for the lwp, not the process. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: count Specifies the number of times that the statistics are repeated. By default, prstat reports statistics until a termination signal is received. interval Specifies the sampling interval in seconds; the default interval is 5 seconds. Example 1: Reporting the Five Most Active Super-User Processes The following command reports the five most active super-user processes running on CPU1 and CPU2: example% prstat -u root -n 5 -P 1,2 1 1 PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/LWP 306 root 3024K 1448K sleep 58 0 0:00.00 0.3% sendmail/1 102 root 1600K 592K sleep 59 0 0:00.00 0.1% in.rdisc/1 250 root 1000K 552K sleep 58 0 0:00.00 0.0% utmpd/1 288 root 1720K 1032K sleep 58 0 0:00.00 0.0% sac/1 1 root 744K 168K sleep 58 0 0:00.00 0.0% init/1 TOTAL: 25, load averages: 0.05, 0.08, 0.12 Example 2: Displaying Verbose Process Usage Information The following command displays verbose process usage information about processes with lowest resident set sizes owned by users root and john. example% prstat -S rss -n 5 -vc -u root,john PID USERNAME USR SYS TRP TFL DFL LCK SLP LAT VCX ICX SCL SIG PROCESS/LWP 1 root 0.0 0.0 - - - - 100 - 0 0 0 0 init/1 102 root 0.0 0.0 - - - - 100 - 0 0 3 0 in.rdisc/1 250 root 0.0 0.0 - - - - 100 - 0 0 0 0 utmpd/1 1185 john 0.0 0.0 - - - - 100 - 0 0 0 0 csh/1 240 root 0.0 0.0 - - - - 100 - 0 0 0 0 powerd/4 TOTAL: 71, load averages: 0.02, 0.04, 0.08 The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ proc(1), psrinfo(1M), psrset(1M), sar(1M), pset_getloadavg(3C), proc(4), project(4), attributes(5), zones(5) The snapshot of system usage displayed by prstat is true only for a split-second, and it may not be accurate by the time it is displayed. When the -m option is specified, prstat tries to turn on microstate accounting for each process; the original state is restored when prstat exits. See proc(4) for additional information about the microstate accounting facility. The total memory size reported in the SIZE and RSS columns for groups of processes can sometimes overestimate the actual amount of memory used by processes with shared memory segments. 13 Sep 2005 prstat(1M)