Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing multiple special chars with single char Post 302822139 by MadeInGermany on Monday 17th of June 2013 04:21:47 AM
Old 06-17-2013
Code:
tr -s '.' '%' < file

tr always reads stdin, therefore the < file
The -s is the "squeeze" option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Char in Multiple Files

We develop a file in windows and move to unix box as a part of deployment. When we do this, we get ctrl-M(^M) character added to the file. So we need to remove ctrl-M(^M) character from all the files from deployment folder and all subfolders folder. Currently we move to individual folders and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinakarmani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

treating special chars

Hi, I need some advise on treating non printable chars over ascii value 126 Case 1 : On some fields in the text , I need to retiain then 'as-is' and load to a database.I understand it also depends on database codepage. but i just wanna know how do i ensure it do not change while loading... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines with single line

Can any one give me the idea on replacing multiple blank lines with a single blank line? Please conside it for a file having more than 100 number of characters. Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

4. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace char between chars - help needed

Hello, I have a csv file with "^" as text delimiters and "|" as field delimiters. It's converted from a xls file. One record looks like this: ^Tablete Internet^|Archos|501838|^Tableta Internet ARCHOS 80 G9 ...| ... (more lines) ... "501|838"^|330.00|USD|sl|12|0|Link|^router wireless 150... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: go0ogl3
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

All strings within two special chars

I have a file with multiple lines. From each line I want to get all strings that starts with '+' and ends with '/'. Then I want the strings to be separated by ' + ' Example input: +$A$/NOUN+At/NSUFF_FEM_PL+K/CASE_INDEF_ACC Sample output: $A$ + At + K (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a single line with multiple lines in a file

Hi Am confused with the usage of "sed" command I want to replace a single line with multiple lines of a file.. eg., A file has Hi, How are you? I need to replace as Am fine What are You doing? I used the script as string1="Hi, How are you?" echo "$string1 is the value"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Multiple spaces with a single space but excluding few regular expressions

Hi All. Attached are two files. I ran a query and have the output as in the file with name "FILEWITHFOURRECORDS.txt " I didn't want all the spaces between the columns so I squeezed the spaces with the "tr" command and also added a carriage return at the end of every line. But in two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)