Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prstat rss and swap
Operating Systems Solaris Prstat rss and swap Post 302822137 by jlliagre on Monday 17th of June 2013 04:20:28 AM
Old 06-17-2013
swap it the size of the process virtual memory space (includes RAM but also swap area and unused yet reserved space)
rss is the subset of the former metric currently stored in RAM.

Edit: hergp was clearly faster ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rss

Could RSS-support mod be installed for this forum? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

prstat O/P

Good Evening everyone, I am confused about prstat O/P as it shows memory values which are different from actual value.Below is the O/P of prstat command and swap commands. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 48 root 2113M 1590M 1.2% 45:09.39 32% 31 daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. Solaris

RSS pmap and prstat

Hi, I have some question about memory in Solaris. How it's possible that prstat -a show me that some process using 230M RSS and when I'm using pmap -x show me that this same process using only 90M RSS ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deivo
0 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)

NAME
dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete an swap file SYNOPSIS
dphys-swapfile setup|swapon|swapoff|uninstall DESCRIPTION
dphys-swapfile computes the size for an optimal swap file (and resizes an existing swap file if necessary), mounts an swap file, unmounts it, and and delete it if not wanted any more. OPTIONS
There is only one parameter, an command, which can be either of these: setup Tells dphys-swapfile to compute the optimal swap file size and (re-)generate an fitting swap file. Default it 2 times RAM size. This can be called at boot time, so the file allways stays the right size for current RAM, or run by hand whenever RAM size has changed. swapon and swapoff These run the swapon and swapoff commands on the swapfile. Note that direct swapon/off from /etc/fstab is not possible, as that is (at least on Debian) done in the same script that mounts /var (which is where the swap file most likely resides). And we need to do our setup between those actions. So pass up /etc/fstab, and do our own swapon/off. uninstall Gets rid of an unwanted swap file, reclaiming the disk space. CONFIG
The config file /etc/dphys-swapfile allows the user to set up the working environment for dphys-swapfile. This config file is a sh script fragment full of assignments, which is sourced. Standard sh syntax rules apply. Assignments are: CONF_SWAPFILE Set where the swap file should be placed. Defaults to /var/swap. It is unlikely that you will need to change this, unless you have very strange partitioning, and then you will most likely be using an swap partition anyway. CONF_SWAPSIZE Force file size to this. Default is 2*RAM size. This is unlikely to be needed, unless in strange diskspace situations. Note that swap enabled and smaller than RAM causes kernal-internal VM trouble on random systems. CONF_SWAPFACTOR Set the relation between RAM and swap size. Must be an integer. Defaults to 2 which means swap size = 2 * RAM size CONF_MAXSWAP Set maximum size of the swap file in MBytes. Defaults to 2048 which was the former kernel limit for the swapfile size and is now a limit to prevent unusual big swap files on systems with a lot of RAM. FILES
/etc/dphys-swapfile user config $CONF_SWAPFILE the swap file, target of the whole action (defaults to /var/swap) EXAMPLES
dphys-swapfile is usually run at system startup and shutdown from an /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) script, such as this (minimal) one: #!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile - automatically set up an swapfile # author franklin, last modification 2004.06.04 # This script is copyright ETH Zuerich Physics Departement, # use under either modified/non-advertising BSD or GPL license case "$1" in start) /sbin/dphys-swapfile setup /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapon ;; stop) /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapoff ;; esac exit 0 If an sysadmin wants to have his swapfile in annother place, say /var/run/swap, he can use: In /etc/dphys-swapfile: CONF_SWAPFILE=/var/run/swap AUTHOR
franklin@phys.ethz.ch, http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~franklin/ D-PHYS Swapfile Tools 2006.09.15 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)