Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prstat rss and swap
Operating Systems Solaris Prstat rss and swap Post 302822111 by sunnys7143 on Monday 17th of June 2013 03:29:06 AM
Old 06-17-2013
Display Prstat rss and swap

Hi,

someone please explain me what's the difference b/w rss and swap in PRSTAT.

i'm getting output like below,

NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU
70 weblogic 48G 46G 73% 449:17:03 0.4%

swap always remains 48G, but rss will change frequently,, now, there is a difference of 2GB in b/w swap and rss, that means weblogic can use another 2GB??

correct me if im wrong..

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Rss

Could RSS-support mod be installed for this forum? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

prstat O/P

Good Evening everyone, I am confused about prstat O/P as it shows memory values which are different from actual value.Below is the O/P of prstat command and swap commands. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 48 root 2113M 1590M 1.2% 45:09.39 32% 31 daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. Solaris

RSS pmap and prstat

Hi, I have some question about memory in Solaris. How it's possible that prstat -a show me that some process using 230M RSS and when I'm using pmap -x show me that this same process using only 90M RSS ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deivo
0 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
KVM_SWAPINFO(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   KVM_SWAPINFO(3)

NAME
kvm_getswapinfo -- return swap summary statistics for the system LIBRARY
Kernel Data Access Library (libkvm, -lkvm) SYNOPSIS
#include <kvm.h> int kvm_getswapinfo(kvm_t *kd, struct kvm_swap *, int maxswap, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The kvm_getswapinfo() function fills an array of kvm_swap structures with swap summary information for each swap device, for up to maxswap - 1 devices. The number of devices, up to maxswap - 1, is returned. A grand total of all swap devices (including any devices that go beyond maxswap - 1) is returned in one additional array entry. This entry is not counted in the return value. Thus, if you specify a maxswap value of 1, the function will typically return the value 0 and the single kvm_swap structure will be filled with the grand total over all swap devices. The grand total is calculated from all available swap devices whether or not you made room for them all in the array. The grand total is returned. The flags argument is currently unused and must be passed as 0. If an error occurs, -1 is returned. Each swap partition and the grand total is summarized in the kvm_swap structure. This structure contains the following fields: char ksw_devname[]; int ksw_total; int ksw_used; int ksw_flags; Values are in PAGE_SIZE'd chunks (see getpagesize(3)). ksw_flags contains a copy of the swap device flags. CACHING
This function caches the nlist values for various kernel variables which it reuses in successive calls. You may call the function with kd == NULL to clear the cache. DIAGNOSTICS
If the load average was unobtainable, -1 is returned; otherwise, the number of swap devices actually retrieved is returned. If the name of the swap device does not fit in the static char buffer in the structure, it is truncated. The buffer is always zero termi- nated. SEE ALSO
kvm(3) BSD
January 22, 1999 BSD