Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Python...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Python... Post 302821925 by bakunin on Sunday 16th of June 2013 06:15:21 AM
Old 06-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker
I had no idea that the transient command structure was dynamic and that there is a minimal requirement.
Every command is a single executable. When you type "ls" you invoke "/usr/bin/ls", which is a program in its own right, quite as any other program. Now there might be a package "basic.commands", which bundles "ls" with other, similarily ubiquitous commands, but that doesn't have to be so. You could remove "/usr/bin/ls" from a system with no other consequence than not being able to list directories/files.

Now, there is a list of programs ("commands"), which is described in the POSIX documents as "mandatory". That means, if a systems calls itself "UNIX" it can be expected to have these programs. "ls" is part of this list, as is "awk", "sed", "sh", etc.. These commands should be installed wether or not they are actually used in a script running on this system. The same goes for libraries, interfaces, system calls, and similar functions of the system. All these are described in the POSIX documents. For the example "ls" this would mean there is a description about which commandlne options it has to understand and what exactly these options will make "ls" do when invoked.

Everything else is installed on top of that, but it is not "UNIX", just very common. That goes for "perl" as well as "gzip" and "ssh" and whatnot. These are quite common tools, but not "part of the UNIX system". It was once quite common to have these annoying nodding sausage dogs in the back of a car, but just because these are (or were) quite common doesn't mean they were "part of the system 'automobile'", like the steering wheel or the brake.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python

I have written a small practice Python script to determine the prime numbers between 2-10, for practice. Although I have pored over this script numurous times, I have not found the problem. The problem is: Python will not print "is a prime" when a number is a prime. After examining the code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furtoes00
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is python?

I heard that its a new programming language but ill like to get a deeper explaination of it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
1 Replies

3. Programming

Python: bash-shell-like less functionality in the python shell

Hello, Is there some type of functional way to read things in the Python shell interpreter similar to less or more in the bash (and other) command line shells? Example: >>> import subprocess >>> help(subprocess) ... ... I'm hoping so as I hate scrolling and love how less works with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Python 3.1 vs 2.6?

i just found python 3.1 in the Ubuntu Software Center today... yes i know, i've probably been under a rock... but my question is, would installing 3.1 cause any conflicts with the 2.6 installation in terms of retro compatibility with python based apps? i don't know if 3.1 is supposed to replace... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sterist
0 Replies

5. Programming

Help with Python. Please and thanks.

Hi everybody, I've been experimenting with Python lately and for the most part it's been a smooth ride. I have one little problem that maybe one of you can help me with. PROBLEM: I have list with one word per line. EXAMPLE apples oranges pears grapes etc... I also have a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o0110o
2 Replies

6. SuSE

"ssh suse-server 'python -V' > python-version.out" not redirecting

Okay, so I have had this problem on openSUSE, and Debian systems now and I am hoping for a little help. I think it has something to do with Python but I couldn't find a proper Python area here. I am trying to redirect the output of "ssh suse-server 'python -V'" to a file. It seems that no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Druonysus
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

**python** unable to read the background color in python

I am working on requirement on spreadsheet in python scripting. I have a spreadsheet containing cell values and with background color. I am able to read the value value but unable to get the background color of that particular cell. Actually my requirement is to read the cell value along... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to execute python script on remote with python way..?

Hi all, I am trying to run below python code for connecting remote windows machine from unix to run an python file exist on that remote windows machine.. Below is the code I am trying: #!/usr/bin/env python import wmi c = wmi.WMI("xxxxx", user="xxxx", password="xxxxxxx")... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
1 Replies

9. Programming

Create a C source and compile inside Python 1.4.0 to 3.7.0 in Python for ALL? platforms...

Hi all... As you know I like making code backwards compatible for as many platforms as possible. This Python script was in fact dedicated for the AMIGA A1200 using Pythons 1.4.0, 1.5.2, 1.6.0, 2.0.1, and 2.4.6 as that is all we have for varying levels of upgrades from a HDD and 4MB FastRam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
perl(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   perl(1)

NAME
perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language DESCRIPTION
The perl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for perl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) perl(1)