Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/fdo
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/fdo Post 302821841 by lode on Saturday 15th of June 2013 05:27:43 PM
Old 06-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Have you tried specifying the block device you want to work with, instead of allowing it to scan? The bug report indicates that as a workaround.

gparted is a front-end to parted. Perhaps calling the backend directly offers you more control? For more info, man parted may be useful. (Disclaimer: I don't use [g]parted.)

Alternatively, you can try a different partition table editing program, such as fdisk followed by the appropriate filesystem creation command (some variant of mkfs, I imagine).

Regards,
Alister
Neither the terminal parted or specifying the block device helped.

But using fdisk worked like a charm! Thanks Alister.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending alt-n to /dev/pts/1 from process bound to /dev/pts/2

Hello, i am using finch (unix commandline instant messaging client using libgnt) which is running connected to /dev/pts/1 Now I would like to "remote control" the program by sending the key combinations normally typed on the keyboard from a programm in another shell. So I tried:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mentos
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between /dev/hdisk and /dev/rhdisk

Hi, How can i check that i am using RAW devices for storage in my AIX machine... Also after adding a LUN from storage to a aix host, when i check /dev in the host, i can see both rhdisk and hdisk with same number eg: dcback1(root):/dev>ls -lrt | grep disk12 crw------- 1 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jibujacob
4 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in /dev/hd1 and /dev/hd9var

Hello AIXians, I can't boot my AIX, it hangs and stops at the code error: 0518 After searching google, I knew the problem is due to problems in File Systems. So the solution is booting from any bootable media, then run these commands in maintenance mode: #fsck -y /dev/hd4 #fsck -y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)