Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/fdo
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/fdo Post 302821835 by alister on Saturday 15th of June 2013 05:00:25 PM
Old 06-15-2013
Have you tried specifying the block device you want to work with, instead of allowing it to scan? The bug report indicates that as a workaround.

gparted is a front-end to parted. Perhaps calling the backend directly offers you more control? For more info, man parted may be useful. (Disclaimer: I don't use [g]parted.)

Alternatively, you can try a different partition table editing program, such as fdisk followed by the appropriate filesystem creation command (some variant of mkfs, I imagine).

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending alt-n to /dev/pts/1 from process bound to /dev/pts/2

Hello, i am using finch (unix commandline instant messaging client using libgnt) which is running connected to /dev/pts/1 Now I would like to "remote control" the program by sending the key combinations normally typed on the keyboard from a programm in another shell. So I tried:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mentos
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between /dev/hdisk and /dev/rhdisk

Hi, How can i check that i am using RAW devices for storage in my AIX machine... Also after adding a LUN from storage to a aix host, when i check /dev in the host, i can see both rhdisk and hdisk with same number eg: dcback1(root):/dev>ls -lrt | grep disk12 crw------- 1 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jibujacob
4 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in /dev/hd1 and /dev/hd9var

Hello AIXians, I can't boot my AIX, it hangs and stops at the code error: 0518 After searching google, I knew the problem is due to problems in File Systems. So the solution is booting from any bootable media, then run these commands in maintenance mode: #fsck -y /dev/hd4 #fsck -y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies
PARTED(8)							 GNU Parted Manual							 PARTED(8)

NAME
       GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program

SYNOPSIS
       parted [options] [device [command [options...]...]]

DESCRIPTION
       parted  is  a program to manipulate disk partitions.  It supports multiple partition table formats, including MS-DOS and GPT.  It is useful
       for creating space for new operating systems, reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new hard disks.

This manual page documents parted briefly.  Complete documentation is distributed with the package in GNU Info format.

OPTIONS
       -h, --help
	      displays a help message

-l, --list
	      lists partition layout on all block devices

-m, --machine
	      displays machine parseable output

-s, --script
	      never prompts for user intervention

-v, --version
	      displays the version

-a alignment-type, --align alignment-type
	      Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid alignment types are:

none   Use the minimum alignment allowed by the disk type.

cylinder
		     Align partitions to cylinders.

minimal
		     Use minimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This and the opt value will use layout information  provided
		     by the disk to align the logical partition table addresses to actual physical blocks on the disks.  The min value is the min-
		     imum alignment needed to align the partition properly to physical blocks, which avoids performance degradation.

optimal
		     Use optimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This aligns to a multiple of the physical block  size  in  a
		     way that guarantees optimal performance.

COMMANDS
       [device]
	      The block device to be used.  When none is given, parted will use the first block device it finds.

[command [options]]
	      Specifies the command to be executed.  If no command is given, parted will present a command prompt.  Possible commands are:

help [command]
		     Print general help, or help on command if specified.

align-check type partition
		     Check if partition satisfies the alignment constraint of type.  type must be "minimal" or "optimal".

mklabel label-type
		     Create  a	new  disklabel	(partition table) of label-type.  label-type should be one of "aix", "amiga", "bsd", "dvh", "gpt",
		     "loop", "mac", "msdos", "pc98", or "sun".

mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end
		     Make a part-type partition for filesystem fs-type (if specified), beginning at  start  and  ending  at  end  (by  default	in
		     megabytes).  part-type should be one of "primary", "logical", or "extended".

name partition name
		     Set the name of partition to name. This option works only on Mac, PC98, and GPT disklabels. The name can be placed in quotes,
		     if necessary.

print  Display the partition table.

quit   Exit from parted.

rescue start end
		     Rescue a lost partition that was located somewhere between start and end.	If a partition is found, parted will  ask  if  you
		     want to create an entry for it in the partition table.

resizepart partition end
		     Change the end position of partition.  Note that this does not modify any filesystem present in the partition.

rm partition
		     Delete partition.

select device
		     Choose  device  as  the current device to edit. device should usually be a Linux hard disk device, but it can be a partition,
		     software raid device, or an LVM logical volume if necessary.

set partition flag state
		     Change the state of the flag on partition to state.  Supported flags are: "boot", "root", "swap",	"hidden",  "raid",  "lvm",
		     "lba", "legacy_boot", "irst", "esp" and "palo".  state should be either "on" or "off".

unit unit
		     Set  unit	as the unit to use when displaying locations and sizes, and for interpreting those given by the user when not suf-
		     fixed with an explicit unit.  unit can be one of "s" (sectors), "B" (bytes), "kB", "MB", "MiB", "GB", "GiB", "TB", "TiB", "%"
		     (percentage  of  device size), "cyl" (cylinders), "chs" (cylinders, heads, sectors), or "compact" (megabytes for input, and a
		     human-friendly form for output).

toggle partition flag
		     Toggle the state of flag on partition.

version
		     Display version information and a copyright message.

REPORTING BUGS
       Report bugs to <bug-parted@gnu.org>

SEE ALSO
       fdisk(8), mkfs(8), The parted program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU partitioning software manual which is distributed  with
       the parted-doc Debian package.

AUTHOR
       This manual page was written by Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others).

parted								   2007 March 29							 PARTED(8)