Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Carrier Detection in Solaris 8 for Dial in and Null Modem Connections Post 302821297 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of June 2013 10:48:30 AM
Old 06-14-2013
Well, the loss of DSR or CTS or even effectively a break (long zero) might also be what is detected. An rs232 can be as little as three wires, SD, RD and ground, emulating a current loop connection. Does stty have other lead watchers you might turn on? Can you put a breakout box on and see what leads are live as senders or receivers, or just a volt-ohm-meter, as even receivers usually have voltage or resistance you can sense?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Got connected with Modem but cannot dial Telephone no. to connect to host

Hello There, I configure my Modem as follow. Step1. # admintool & Then from Browse --> Serial Port i select tta port and Edit --> Modify From that i select Template : Modem:Dial Out Baud Rate: 9600 Ok Step 2 # tip /dev/cua/a connected (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dial-Up Modem

Im using Kinternet with a Lucent modem on Suse 9.0 Ive installed the ltmodem driver and suse says the device is ready and configured. Ive configured it at /dev/ttyS0 This is the log that Kinternet gives after trying to connect: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.06 on linux. Status... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. SCO

Dial-Out & Dial-In Connections in OpenServer 5.0.6.

Friends, I am facing a problem in connecting two SCO Openserver 5.0.6 servers through Dial-Up connectivity as is done in the case of two Windows PCs. Please help me out with the following problems: (a) How to configure the modem? (b) How to setup a Dial-In connection? (c) How to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobolguy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

null modem for testing

hi all.. sorry for repeating the same question many times, i just set up a null modem, i am using this as reference : DB25 DB9 -- - 2 TD ---- 2 RD 3 RD ---- 3 TD 4 RTS ---- 8 CTS 5 CTS ---- 7 RTS 7 GND ---- 5 GND 6 DSR -+ +--- 4 DTR 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
0 Replies

6. Solaris

help me!!!! how configure modem dial up with smc in solaris 10

Dear All, i have problem during install modem dial up with smc in solaris 10. i can't find "login" because it's stop in _receive started transmit started. thanks for your attention. this is the list during i dial to this number : altconn called Device Type ACU wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.ridho
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem (dial up) connecton to Unix machine

Hello to all, I have one problem and hope you'll be able to help me. It's about connecting Windows PC machine to Unix machine via dial up through Hyper terminal. Connection was working in the past. In the meantime, windows machine is replaced (win XP) and unix machine stayed as is. So nothing is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

9. BSD

Carrier Detection in FreeBSD

Regarding carrier detection on FreeBSD 9.1 being run within Virtual Box: I used a usb-serial dongle which shows up as ttyu0 on the BSD machine. Carrier detection appears to work. When I establish a null modem connection I receive a login prompt. If I login, and then unplug and plug back the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
2 Replies
AIBS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   AIBS(4)

NAME
aibs -- ASUSTeK AI Booster ACPI ATK0110 voltage, temperature and fan sensor SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device acpi device aibs Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): acpi_load="YES" aibs_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The aibs driver provides support for the voltage, temperature and fan sensors available through the ATK0110 ASOC ACPI device on ASUSTeK moth- erboards. The number of sensors of each type, as well as the description of each sensor, varies according to the motherboard. The driver supports an arbitrary set of sensors, provides descriptions regarding what each sensor is used for, and reports the current values as well as the supposed range specifications of each sensor's input as defined by the motherboard manufacturer through ACPI. The range specifications are as follows: o Voltage sensors have a lower and an upper range specification. o Temperature sensors have two upper specifications. o Fan sensors may either have only the lower specification, or, depending on the DSDT, one lower and one upper specification. Sensor readings and the range specifications are made available through the sysctl(3) interface, and can be monitored with sysctl(8). For example, on an ASUS V3-P5G965 barebone: > sysctl dev.aibs.0.{volt,temp,fan} dev.aibs.0.volt.0: 1192 850 1600 dev.aibs.0.volt.1: 3312 2970 3630 dev.aibs.0.volt.2: 5017 4500 5500 dev.aibs.0.volt.3: 12302 10200 13800 dev.aibs.0.temp.0: 28.0C 80.0C 95.0C dev.aibs.0.temp.1: 55.0C 60.0C 95.0C dev.aibs.0.fan.0: 878 600 7200 dev.aibs.0.fan.1: 0 700 7200 > sysctl -d dev.aibs.0.{volt,temp,fan} dev.aibs.0.volt: dev.aibs.0.volt.0: Vcore Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.1: +3.3 Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.2: +5 Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.3: +12 Voltage dev.aibs.0.temp: dev.aibs.0.temp.0: CPU Temperature dev.aibs.0.temp.1: MB Temperature dev.aibs.0.fan: dev.aibs.0.fan.0: CPU FAN Speed dev.aibs.0.fan.1: CHASSIS FAN Speed Generally, sensors provided by the aibs driver may also be supported by certain other drivers or utilities that access the ISA / LPC or I2C / SMBus devices directly. The precise collection of aibs sensors is comprised of the sensors specifically utilised in the motherboard design, which may be supported through a combination of one or more physical hardware monitoring chips. The aibs driver, however, provides the following advantages when compared to the native hardware monitoring drivers or other utilities: o Sensor values from aibs are expected to be more reliable. For example, voltage sensors in many hardware monitoring chips can only sense voltage from 0 to 2 or 4 volts, and the excessive voltage is removed by the resistors, which may vary with the motherboard and with the voltage that is being sensed. In aibs, the required resistor factors are provided by the motherboard manufacturer through ACPI; in the native drivers, the resistor factors are encoded into the driver based on the chip manufacturer's recommendations. In essence, sensor values from aibs are very likely to be identical to the readings from the Hardware Monitor screen in the BIOS. o Sensor descriptions from aibs are more likely to match the markings on the motherboard. o Sensor range specifications are supported by aibs. The range specification is reported for each individual sensor as suggested by the motherboard manufacturer. For example, the threshold for the CPU temperature sensor is likely to be significantly higher than that for the chassis temperature sensor. o Support for newer chips in aibs. Newer chips may miss a native driver, but should be supported through aibs regardless. SEE ALSO
sysctl(3), acpi(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The aibs driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.7, DragonFly 2.5, NetBSD 6.0 and FreeBSD 9.0. An earlier version of the driver, acpi_aiboost, first appeared in FreeBSD 7.0 and NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The aibs driver was written for OpenBSD, DragonFly, NetBSD and FreeBSD by Constantine A. Murenin <cnst@FreeBSD.org>, Raouf Boutaba Research Group, David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo. An earlier version of the driver, named acpi_aiboost, was written for FreeBSD by Takanori Watanabe. BSD
April 4, 2010 BSD