Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Carrier Detection in Solaris 8 for Dial in and Null Modem Connections Post 302821297 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of June 2013 10:48:30 AM
Old 06-14-2013
Well, the loss of DSR or CTS or even effectively a break (long zero) might also be what is detected. An rs232 can be as little as three wires, SD, RD and ground, emulating a current loop connection. Does stty have other lead watchers you might turn on? Can you put a breakout box on and see what leads are live as senders or receivers, or just a volt-ohm-meter, as even receivers usually have voltage or resistance you can sense?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Got connected with Modem but cannot dial Telephone no. to connect to host

Hello There, I configure my Modem as follow. Step1. # admintool & Then from Browse --> Serial Port i select tta port and Edit --> Modify From that i select Template : Modem:Dial Out Baud Rate: 9600 Ok Step 2 # tip /dev/cua/a connected (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dial-Up Modem

Im using Kinternet with a Lucent modem on Suse 9.0 Ive installed the ltmodem driver and suse says the device is ready and configured. Ive configured it at /dev/ttyS0 This is the log that Kinternet gives after trying to connect: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.06 on linux. Status... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. SCO

Dial-Out & Dial-In Connections in OpenServer 5.0.6.

Friends, I am facing a problem in connecting two SCO Openserver 5.0.6 servers through Dial-Up connectivity as is done in the case of two Windows PCs. Please help me out with the following problems: (a) How to configure the modem? (b) How to setup a Dial-In connection? (c) How to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobolguy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

null modem for testing

hi all.. sorry for repeating the same question many times, i just set up a null modem, i am using this as reference : DB25 DB9 -- - 2 TD ---- 2 RD 3 RD ---- 3 TD 4 RTS ---- 8 CTS 5 CTS ---- 7 RTS 7 GND ---- 5 GND 6 DSR -+ +--- 4 DTR 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
0 Replies

6. Solaris

help me!!!! how configure modem dial up with smc in solaris 10

Dear All, i have problem during install modem dial up with smc in solaris 10. i can't find "login" because it's stop in _receive started transmit started. thanks for your attention. this is the list during i dial to this number : altconn called Device Type ACU wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.ridho
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem (dial up) connecton to Unix machine

Hello to all, I have one problem and hope you'll be able to help me. It's about connecting Windows PC machine to Unix machine via dial up through Hyper terminal. Connection was working in the past. In the meantime, windows machine is replaced (win XP) and unix machine stayed as is. So nothing is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

9. BSD

Carrier Detection in FreeBSD

Regarding carrier detection on FreeBSD 9.1 being run within Virtual Box: I used a usb-serial dongle which shows up as ttyu0 on the BSD machine. Carrier detection appears to work. When I establish a null modem connection I receive a login prompt. If I login, and then unplug and plug back the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
2 Replies
dial(3C)																  dial(3C)

NAME
dial(), undial() - establish an outgoing terminal line connection SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function returns a file descriptor for a terminal line open for read/write. The argument to is a structure (defined in the header file). When finished with the terminal line, the calling program must invoke to release the semaphore that has been set during the allocation of the terminal device. The definition of in the header file is: elements are as follows: speed Intended only for use with an outgoing dialed call, in which case its value should be either 300 or 1200 to identify the 113A modem, or the high- or low-speed setting on the 212A modem. Note that the 113A modem or the low-speed setting of the 212A modem transmits at any rate between 0 and 300 bits per second. However, the high-speed setting of the 212A modem transmits and receives at 1200 bits per second only. baud Desired transmission baud rate. For example, one might set baud to 110 and speed to 300 (or 1200). However, if speed is set to 1200, baud must be set to high(1200). line If the desired terminal line is a direct line, a string pointer to its device name should be placed in the line element in the structure. Legal values for such terminal device names are kept in the file. In this case, the value of the baud element need not be specified as it will be determined from the file. telno A pointer to a character string representing the telephone number to be dialed. Such numbers can consist only of symbols described below. The termination symbol is supplied by the function, and should not be included in the telno string passed to in the structure. Permissible Codes Dial Dial Dial 4-second delay for second dial tone End of number Wait for secondary dial tone Flash off-hook for 1 second modem Specifies modem control for direct lines. Set to non-zero if modem control is required. attr Pointer to a structure, as defined in the header file. A NULL value for this pointer element can be passed to the func- tion, but if such a structure is included, the elements specified in it are set for the outgoing terminal line before the connection is established. This is often important for certain attributes such as parity and baud rate. device Holds the device name that establishes the connection. dev_len Length of the device name that is copied into the array device. RETURN VALUE
On failure, a negative value indicating the reason for the failure is returned. Mnemonics for these negative indices as listed here are defined in the header file. WARNINGS
Including the header file automatically includes the header file. The above routine uses which causes unexpected increases in the size of programs that otherwise do not use standard I/O. The function will modify the values of some of the fields of the structure so if is reinvoked, it will reinitialize the values of the structure. FILES
SEE ALSO
uucp(1), alarm(2), read(2), write(2), thread_safety(5), termio(7). UUCP tutorial in dial(3C)