Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Carrier Detection in Solaris 8 for Dial in and Null Modem Connections Post 302821297 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of June 2013 10:48:30 AM
Old 06-14-2013
Well, the loss of DSR or CTS or even effectively a break (long zero) might also be what is detected. An rs232 can be as little as three wires, SD, RD and ground, emulating a current loop connection. Does stty have other lead watchers you might turn on? Can you put a breakout box on and see what leads are live as senders or receivers, or just a volt-ohm-meter, as even receivers usually have voltage or resistance you can sense?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Got connected with Modem but cannot dial Telephone no. to connect to host

Hello There, I configure my Modem as follow. Step1. # admintool & Then from Browse --> Serial Port i select tta port and Edit --> Modify From that i select Template : Modem:Dial Out Baud Rate: 9600 Ok Step 2 # tip /dev/cua/a connected (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dial-Up Modem

Im using Kinternet with a Lucent modem on Suse 9.0 Ive installed the ltmodem driver and suse says the device is ready and configured. Ive configured it at /dev/ttyS0 This is the log that Kinternet gives after trying to connect: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.06 on linux. Status... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. SCO

Dial-Out & Dial-In Connections in OpenServer 5.0.6.

Friends, I am facing a problem in connecting two SCO Openserver 5.0.6 servers through Dial-Up connectivity as is done in the case of two Windows PCs. Please help me out with the following problems: (a) How to configure the modem? (b) How to setup a Dial-In connection? (c) How to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobolguy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

null modem for testing

hi all.. sorry for repeating the same question many times, i just set up a null modem, i am using this as reference : DB25 DB9 -- - 2 TD ---- 2 RD 3 RD ---- 3 TD 4 RTS ---- 8 CTS 5 CTS ---- 7 RTS 7 GND ---- 5 GND 6 DSR -+ +--- 4 DTR 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
0 Replies

6. Solaris

help me!!!! how configure modem dial up with smc in solaris 10

Dear All, i have problem during install modem dial up with smc in solaris 10. i can't find "login" because it's stop in _receive started transmit started. thanks for your attention. this is the list during i dial to this number : altconn called Device Type ACU wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.ridho
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem (dial up) connecton to Unix machine

Hello to all, I have one problem and hope you'll be able to help me. It's about connecting Windows PC machine to Unix machine via dial up through Hyper terminal. Connection was working in the past. In the meantime, windows machine is replaced (win XP) and unix machine stayed as is. So nothing is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

9. BSD

Carrier Detection in FreeBSD

Regarding carrier detection on FreeBSD 9.1 being run within Virtual Box: I used a usb-serial dongle which shows up as ttyu0 on the BSD machine. Carrier detection appears to work. When I establish a null modem connection I receive a login prompt. If I login, and then unplug and plug back the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
2 Replies
solterm(1)						   IPMI Serial over LAN program 						solterm(1)

NAME
solterm - An IPMI Serial over LAN program SYNOPSIS
solterm <connection parms> [-e escape_char] [-notencrypted] [-notauthenticated] [-bitrate (9600|19200|38400|57600|115200)] [-alerts (suc- ceed|defer|fail)] [-holdoff] [-ack-retries n] [-ack-timeout microseconds] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
The solterm program allows a user to make a remote serial connection over IPMI. The requires that the remote system support IPMI 2.0 Serial Over LAN. OPTIONS
<connection parms> The parameters for the connection depend on the connection type. These are all described in openipmi_conparms (7) -e escape_char The character to use to escape, or exit, the program. Entering this chatacter right after a newline is entered causes the program to go into command mode. A single character after this performs a command. The default escape character is "~" as shown below. Suppported commands are: ~. Terminate the program ~B Send a serial BREAK over the connection ~F Flush all buffers ~R Assert the Ring Indicator (RI) line ~r Deassert the Ring Indicator (RI) line ~D Assert DCD and DSR lines ~d Deassert DCD and DSR lines ~C Pause the output using CTS ~c Put CTS under BMC control ~? Help on escape commands ~~ Enter the escape character twice to send it. -notencrypted Do not encrypt the SOL data going over the connection. -notauthenticated Do not do integrity checks on the SOL data going over the connection. -bitrate Set the bitrate to the given value. The default is whatever the BMC has set it to. -alerts This specifies what to do if a alert that requires a callout occurs on the line. succeed specifies that serial/modem alerts are to succeed while SoL is active. deferred specifies that serial/modem alerts are to be deferred for the duration of the SoL session. fail specifies that serial/modem alerts automatically fail during the SoL session. This is the default. -holdoff Specifies that CTS, DTR, and DSR are to be deasserted at the start of the SoL session so that the configuration may be modifeid before the handshake is released. -v Be more verbose. Maybe specified multiple time for more output. -q Be less verbose. Maybe specified multiple time for less output. SEE ALSO
openipmi_conparms(7) KNOWN PROBLEMS
None AUTHOR
Darius Davis <dariusd@users.sourceforge.net> OpenIPMI 05/13/03 solterm(1)