Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Carrier Detection in Solaris 8 for Dial in and Null Modem Connections Post 302820971 by rstor on Thursday 13th of June 2013 05:44:34 PM
Old 06-13-2013
@DGPickett

When using the null modem cable on the FreeBSD machine to another computer terminal, I receive the login prompt when the null modem cable is connected, and when I login, and then disconnect the cable and reconnect the cable again I receive the login prompt again. It appears the getty process in FreeBSD is detecting the carrier loss when the cable is disconnected and ending the previous login session. This is the correct behaviour to my understanding.

However on the Solaris system, when the null modem cable is connected to another computer terminal, if I login, and then disconnect the cable and then connect it back again I am still logged in at the shell. This means that on the Solaris machine it did not detect the carrier loss when the null modem cable was disconnected.

Since I have tried the same null modem cable on both the FreeBSD machine and the Solaris machine, I am thinking it has something to do with either a configuration setting in Solaris itself, the hardware on which Solaris is running on, or something else? ....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Got connected with Modem but cannot dial Telephone no. to connect to host

Hello There, I configure my Modem as follow. Step1. # admintool & Then from Browse --> Serial Port i select tta port and Edit --> Modify From that i select Template : Modem:Dial Out Baud Rate: 9600 Ok Step 2 # tip /dev/cua/a connected (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dial-Up Modem

Im using Kinternet with a Lucent modem on Suse 9.0 Ive installed the ltmodem driver and suse says the device is ready and configured. Ive configured it at /dev/ttyS0 This is the log that Kinternet gives after trying to connect: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.06 on linux. Status... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. SCO

Dial-Out & Dial-In Connections in OpenServer 5.0.6.

Friends, I am facing a problem in connecting two SCO Openserver 5.0.6 servers through Dial-Up connectivity as is done in the case of two Windows PCs. Please help me out with the following problems: (a) How to configure the modem? (b) How to setup a Dial-In connection? (c) How to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobolguy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

null modem for testing

hi all.. sorry for repeating the same question many times, i just set up a null modem, i am using this as reference : DB25 DB9 -- - 2 TD ---- 2 RD 3 RD ---- 3 TD 4 RTS ---- 8 CTS 5 CTS ---- 7 RTS 7 GND ---- 5 GND 6 DSR -+ +--- 4 DTR 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
0 Replies

6. Solaris

help me!!!! how configure modem dial up with smc in solaris 10

Dear All, i have problem during install modem dial up with smc in solaris 10. i can't find "login" because it's stop in _receive started transmit started. thanks for your attention. this is the list during i dial to this number : altconn called Device Type ACU wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.ridho
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem (dial up) connecton to Unix machine

Hello to all, I have one problem and hope you'll be able to help me. It's about connecting Windows PC machine to Unix machine via dial up through Hyper terminal. Connection was working in the past. In the meantime, windows machine is replaced (win XP) and unix machine stayed as is. So nothing is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

9. BSD

Carrier Detection in FreeBSD

Regarding carrier detection on FreeBSD 9.1 being run within Virtual Box: I used a usb-serial dongle which shows up as ttyu0 on the BSD machine. Carrier detection appears to work. When I establish a null modem connection I receive a login prompt. If I login, and then unplug and plug back the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
2 Replies
DOCSIS(1)						      General Commands Manual							 DOCSIS(1)

NAME
DOCSIS - Docsis configuration file creator. DESCRIPTION
DOCSIS Configuration File creator. This program encodes text configuration files which contain Configuration File Settings into binary configuration files, as specified by the DOCSIS RFI 1.1 Specification, Appendix C. To encode a cable modem configuration file: ./docsis -e <modem_cfg_file> <key_file> <output_file> To encode multiple cable modem configuration files: ./docsis -m <modem_cfg_file1> ... <key_file> <new_extension> To encode a MTA configuration file: ./docsis -p <mta_cfg_file> <output_file> To encode multiple MTA configuration files: ./docsis -m -p <mta_file1> ... <new_extension> To decode a CM or MTA config file: ./docsis -d <binary_file> Where: <cfg_file> = name of text (human readable) cable modem or MTA configuration file <key_file> = text file containing the authentication key (shared secret) to be used for the CMTS MIC <output_file> = name of output file where the binary data will be written to (if it does not exist it is created). <binary_file> = name of binary file to be decoded <new_extension> = new extension to be used when encoding multiple files See examples/*.cfg for configuration file format. BUGS
/QUESTIONS Please send bugs or questions to docsis-users@lists.sourceforge.net COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999,2000,2001 Cornel Ciocirlan, ctrl@users.sourceforge.net Copyright (C) 2002,2003,2004,2005 Evvolve Media SRL, docsis@evvolve.com This manual page was written by Lisandro Damian Nicanor Perez Meyer based on the output of help2man for the Debian project, but may be used by others. DOCSIS Configuration File creator. February 2012 DOCSIS(1)