Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking New network bandwidth requirements Post 302820369 by DGPickett on Wednesday 12th of June 2013 02:34:00 PM
Old 06-12-2013
If you have too much you can measure how much less you could do with, but if you have too little, how much too little gets buried in backed up and even dropped packets. However, the usual rules about service length and service arrival frequency versus number of servers, at a very high level, applies. Everything is a server at a high level: a CPU, an ethernet link, a disk controller, a disk drive, a fiber link. With one server, it is very easy for backlog to occur even if the averages are not violated. Think snake that swallowed a basketball. As you approach critical loading, you will see backlog peaks start occurring due to periodic bad luck. With one server, like one line at the bank, if you can remember when people walked to the bank, one customer with big needs makes a huge line that lasts for hours.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bandwidth check?

I'm on T1, is there any way i can check my acctual bandwidth? Thank you all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Bandwidth Caping With PF

i have two questions actually... i need to block certain ports with openbsd and PF in a large lan, the firewall is supposed to be a router between the internet and the first lan switch. first of all, would this work at all in theory? second, i tried doing this a few days ago at a huge lan but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocturnal
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Bandwidth Regulation

Hello, I was wondering how one would go about regulating bandwidth of a server running RH Linux 8.0 and Apache. I am running a webserver, and want only one person to be able to download one file at a time. So, they can't click about 10 files and soak up lots of bandwidth. Plus, I would like to cap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bandwidth Monitoring.

Hi, I'm looking for some way to bring up in a shell window a realtime (or something that updates at 10 second intervals or whatever) bandwidth monitor. I just want something that shows me how much kbps is going in and how much is going out of each interface. Is there something that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bandwidth monitoring

Hi Gurus, Need to have a way to monitor Bandwidth utilization on Linux servers, running squid . Have worked on 3rd party monitoring tools like Bandwidth d, Nagios etc. But we are working to find out a way to monitor this through Sitescope, for which we need to find a file where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

bandwidth

Hi, 1-What is bandewidth ? 2-How to calculate ? 3-How to measure ? Any free software to measure it ? Many thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

Bandwidth montor

Hi all I have been running iptraf on a linux box for a few months monitoring bandwidth utilization realtime from mac address with port mirroring. Now I want to graph these bandwidth utilization. Is MRTG the right software? Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palm101
4 Replies

8. Linux

Network bandwidth Manager

Dear Engineer, Can anyone please inform me some application name like (CBQ) to control network bandwidth and please provide me the url to configure it. With Best Regards, Md. Abdullah-Al Kauser (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Network bandwidth Manager

Dear Engineer, Can anyone please inform me some application name like (CBQ) to control network bandwidth and please provide me the url to configure it. With Best Regards, Md. Abdullah-Al Kauser (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: makauser
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-TIMESYNCD.SERVICE(8)				     systemd-timesyncd.service				      SYSTEMD-TIMESYNCD.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-timesyncd.service, systemd-timesyncd - Network Time Synchronization SYNOPSIS
systemd-timesyncd.service /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd DESCRIPTION
systemd-timesyncd is a system service that may be used to synchronize the local system clock with a remote Network Time Protocol server. It also saves the local time to disk every time the clock has been synchronized and uses this to possibly advance the system realtime clock on subsequent reboots to ensure it monotonically advances even if the system lacks a battery-buffered RTC chip. The systemd-timesyncd service specifically implements only SNTP. This minimalistic service will set the system clock for large offsets or slowly adjust it for smaller deltas. More complex use cases are not covered by systemd-timesyncd. The NTP servers contacted are determined from the global settings in timesyncd.conf(5), the per-link static settings in .network files, and the per-link dynamic settings received over DHCP. See systemd.network(5) for more details. timedatectl(1)'s set-ntp command may be used to enable and start, or disable and stop this service. FILES
/var/lib/systemd/timesync/clock This file contains the timestamp of the last successful synchronization. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), timesyncd.conf(5), systemd.network(5), systemd-networkd.service(8), timedatectl(1), localtime(5), hwclock(8) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-TIMESYNCD.SERVICE(8)