Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dealing with lilo and uefi
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Dealing with lilo and uefi Post 302819985 by a sandwhich on Tuesday 11th of June 2013 08:18:45 PM
Old 06-11-2013
Yes, I was trying to preserve windows. I found the problem, turns out I was putting Lilo on the wrong disk and not fully enabling legacy bios support.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Does anyone know what LILO stands for and what it exactly does during the boot process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jensam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Guys, Any idea how to Install Lilo after Instal linux 7.2 ( 2.4.7 ). At first when i was installing Linux 7.2 i didnt install LILO because i have alllready installed Boot Magic from Power Quest (Having dual boot Windows2000 Server and Linux Red Hat7.2 ). I didnt install LILO because i was... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
20 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

I have installed linux.. but it wont boot.. it says: "LI" and then my computer freezes.. it has worked before.. A couple of days ago, I tried to install OpenBSD.. I used the whole disk for it.. I think it's something with the MBR-settings I made in the OpenBSD installation.. How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need help with lilo

:confused: I've been trying to figure out what happen to Windows 2000 since I upgrade my partition of Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2. Before I even upgraded my system would dual boot both OS's now it only sees Linux in lilo. Can some one help me I'm in need of help. Can you tell me what I'm missing in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing lilo

I have a machine that dual boots win2k and linux, and we are handing it off so it no longer needs linux. Linux is a separate partition so I can delete the partition, but I need to remove lilo- how do I do that ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

lilo question

I use redhat7.0, and I want to update kernel to 2.4.0,I make following steps: #gzip -cd linux-2.4.0.tar.gz | tar xvf - #cd linux #make mrproper #make config #make dep #make bzdisk #make modules #make modules_install #cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot then I modify lilo.conf,like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount UEFI partition

I want to gain read/write access to a Windows 8 partition from a linux live cd. Prior to Windows 8, I used ntfs-3g to mount the partition from the command line. The "Fdisk -l" command does not seem to be able to read efi partitions. There must be some new strategy for linux users. This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

GRUB2 + UEFI issue, new entry each boot

Hello This is happening on: 3.13.7-200.fc20.x86_64 This happened already some weeks ago, until now i didn install linunx onto this machine, as i had to turn in the laptop to the service center so they could fix the UEFI flash storage. Either way, its happening again. as i installed Fedora 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Dual boot Windows10 and Solaris 11.3??? UEFI

I can't get dual boot to work. I have first installed Windows10 on a new SSD, and then I installed Solaris 11.3 on the same disk. When I boot the disk, the GRUB shows Solaris, but no Windows. I can boot into Solaris fine. When I try to boot from a Windows10 partition, it does not work. Windows says... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
7 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)