Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Display Chinese and Japanese characters on my SLES console. Post 302819305 by DGPickett on Monday 10th of June 2013 03:14:02 PM
Old 06-10-2013
What do you get?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Chinese characters on Sol 2.7

Hi there, I need to get a Chinese disclaimer attached to an email on a Solaris 2.7 box. The disclaimer we use is in English and stored as a text file although I've been asked to see if we can add the Chinsese one? Is it simply just a matter of adding the Chinese locale to the OS or is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hayez
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Chinese characters in Vi editor

Dear All, I have excel files containing Chinese characters. I have a requirement to display the contents of both the English and the Chinese files in the Unix box using the vi editor. But I when I try to open the Chinese files, the characters are junk. Can one of you help me in getting rid of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email a File from UNIX which has Japanese characters in it

Hi, I'm trying to email from UNIX, a file which has Japanese characters in it (i,e. in the contents -- not the filename). The file gets emailed, but the Japanese characters do not show up properly when I open the file on Windows in my Outlook mailbox. I searched a lot of forums but still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jainkirti
4 Replies

4. Programming

Netbeans ide can't display chinese character in linux

When i write the source code in netbeans environment,if the source code,there are chinese characters,chinese characters will be displayed as box,how to solve this problem?please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fang_xiaoan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete

Greetings, I want to use a script (preferably awk) which determines if the first character in a line is double-byte (as in Japanese or Chinese) and deletes it. For example: (in the above quote, I see Japanese on my screen for two lines - with 2 characters in the first and 3 characters in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubbeauty
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Chinese / Global characters problem

Hello, I have large xml files with chinese characters on a windows box and they need to be FTP'd to UNIX box. When I ftp the file, the chinese text converts to junk characters. I tried changing my setting on putty to UTF-8, but still cannot view the correct text. Is there something I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokool420
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with non-chinese characters from xml file

Hi there, I'm looking for a way to remove all lines that don't contain chinese characters from an xml file. Example: http://pastebin.com/8KzSbCKe The result should be like this: http://pastebin.com/ZywXsNhx Only lines that don't contain chinese characters should be deleted. If theres a mix of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4rb4g3
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)?

Hi, One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)? If the answer is yes, then how to implement it? Thank you in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on Rhel 6?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my RHEL 6 Console. There is no more "bogl-bterm" for RHEL6, that is not supported anymore. Is there any way that I could display them? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies
big5(5) 							File Formats Manual							   big5(5)

NAME
big5 - A character encoding system (codeset) for Traditional Chinese DESCRIPTION
The big5 codeset is one of several codesets that support the Traditional Chinese language. This codeset includes the following character sets: ASCII Big-5 The big5 codeset uses a combination of single-byte data and two-byte data to represent ASCII characters, symbols, and Chinese ideographic characters. ASCII Characters All ASCII characters are represented in the form of single-byte, 7-bit data in the big5 codeset; that is, the most significant bit (MSB) of a byte that represents an ASCII character is always set off. For more information, see ascii(5). Big-5 Character Groups The Big-5 character set defines the following character groups: Special symbols (408) Level 1 characters (5401) Level 2 characters (7652) Level 1 user-defined space (785) Level 2 user-defined space (2983) Level 3 user-defined space (2041) Code Values for Big-5 Characters Each Big-5 character is represented by a two-byte code that compiles according to the Big-5 standard. The MSB of the first byte is always set on while that of the second byte can be on or off. Code ranges for characters in the different character groups are as follows: Special symbols: A140 to A3BF Level 1 characters: A440 to C67E Level 2 characters: C940 to F9D5 Level 1 user-defined space: FA40 to FEFE Level 2 user-defined space: 8E40 to A0FE Level 3 user-defined space: 8140 to 8DFE In this space, the valid code range for the first byte is 81 to FE, while that for the second byte is 40 to 7E and A1 to FE. Codeset Conversion The following codeset converter pairs are available for converting Traditional Chinese characters between big5 and other encoding formats. Refer to iconv_intro(5) for an introduction to codeset conversion. For more information about the other codeset for which big5 is the input or output, see the reference page specified in the list item. dechanyu_big5, big5_dechanyu Converting from and to DEC Hanyu: dechanyu(5) dechanzi_big5, big5_dechanzi Converting from and to DEC Hanzi: dechanzi(5) eucTW_big5, big5_eucTW Converting from and to Taiwanese Extended UNIX Code: eucTW(5) sbig5_big5, big5_sbig5 Converting from and to Shift Big-5: sbig5(5) telecode_big5, big5_telecode Converting from and to Telecode: telecode(5) UCS-2_big5, big5_UCS-2 Converting from and to UCS-2: Unicode(5) UCS-4_big5, big5_UCS-4 Converting from and to UCS-4: Unicode(5) UTF-8_big5, big5_UTF-8 Converting from and to UTF-8: Unicode(5) Note The big5 encoding format is identical to the encoding format used in PC code pages that support Traditional Chinese. Therefore, you can use codeset converters that convert between big5 and UCS-2, UCS-4, or UTF-8 to convert Traditional Chinese data between PC code-page and Uni- code encoding formats. Refer to code_page(5) for a discussion of how the operating system supports PC code pages. Fonts for Big-5 Characters The operating system supports Big-5 code by internally converting characters to DEC Hanyu. Therefore, DEC Hanyu fonts are used for Big-5 characters. Both display and printer fonts are provided for DEC Hanyu and these are listed in the dechanyu(5) reference page. For general information about printer support for and codeset conversion of Asian text, refer to i18n_printing(5). SEE ALSO
Commands: locale(1) Others: ascii(5), Chinese(5), code_page(5), dechanyu(5), dechanzi(5), eucTW(5), GBK(5), i18n_intro(5), i18n_printing(5), iconv_intro(5), l10n_intro(5), sbig5(5), telecode(5), Unicode(5) big5(5)