Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dealing with lilo and uefi
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Dealing with lilo and uefi Post 302818593 by a sandwhich on Saturday 8th of June 2013 01:07:18 AM
Old 06-08-2013
[solved] Dealing with lilo and uefi

Recently I have been trying to boot into slackware on a new laptop that came preinstalled with windows 8. I have successfully installed slackware and Lilo, but I have had great difficult attempting to boot into it. Since the laptop contains no optical drive, I have been attempting to boot into various systems I have on other usb drives. The only fully successful boot came from tinycore, and that is a pain to install grub (or any bootloader ) from. My current situation is trying to get it to boot using EasyBCD, and I can get to the (windows) boot menu and select the created slackware option, but after that it shows a windows mbr error. Where would you recommend I go from here? Any help is appreciated, and tell me if this thread would be better suited in another location please.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Does anyone know what LILO stands for and what it exactly does during the boot process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jensam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Guys, Any idea how to Install Lilo after Instal linux 7.2 ( 2.4.7 ). At first when i was installing Linux 7.2 i didnt install LILO because i have alllready installed Boot Magic from Power Quest (Having dual boot Windows2000 Server and Linux Red Hat7.2 ). I didnt install LILO because i was... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
20 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

I have installed linux.. but it wont boot.. it says: "LI" and then my computer freezes.. it has worked before.. A couple of days ago, I tried to install OpenBSD.. I used the whole disk for it.. I think it's something with the MBR-settings I made in the OpenBSD installation.. How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need help with lilo

:confused: I've been trying to figure out what happen to Windows 2000 since I upgrade my partition of Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2. Before I even upgraded my system would dual boot both OS's now it only sees Linux in lilo. Can some one help me I'm in need of help. Can you tell me what I'm missing in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing lilo

I have a machine that dual boots win2k and linux, and we are handing it off so it no longer needs linux. Linux is a separate partition so I can delete the partition, but I need to remove lilo- how do I do that ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

lilo question

I use redhat7.0, and I want to update kernel to 2.4.0,I make following steps: #gzip -cd linux-2.4.0.tar.gz | tar xvf - #cd linux #make mrproper #make config #make dep #make bzdisk #make modules #make modules_install #cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot then I modify lilo.conf,like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount UEFI partition

I want to gain read/write access to a Windows 8 partition from a linux live cd. Prior to Windows 8, I used ntfs-3g to mount the partition from the command line. The "Fdisk -l" command does not seem to be able to read efi partitions. There must be some new strategy for linux users. This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

GRUB2 + UEFI issue, new entry each boot

Hello This is happening on: 3.13.7-200.fc20.x86_64 This happened already some weeks ago, until now i didn install linunx onto this machine, as i had to turn in the laptop to the service center so they could fix the UEFI flash storage. Either way, its happening again. as i installed Fedora 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Dual boot Windows10 and Solaris 11.3??? UEFI

I can't get dual boot to work. I have first installed Windows10 on a new SSD, and then I installed Solaris 11.3 on the same disk. When I boot the disk, the GRUB shows Solaris, but no Windows. I can boot into Solaris fine. When I try to boot from a Windows10 partition, it does not work. Windows says... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
7 Replies
GRUBBY(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 GRUBBY(8)

NAME
grubby - command line tool for configuring grub, lilo, and elilo SYNOPSIS
grubby [--add-kernel=kernel-path] [--args=args] [--bad-image-okay] [--boot-filesystem=bootfs] [--bootloader-probe] [--config-file path] [--copy-default] [--default-kernel] [--grub] [--info=kernel-path] [--initrd=initrd-path] [--lilo] [--make-default] [-o path] [--remove-kernel=kernel-path] [--set-default=kernel-path] [--title=entry-title] DESCRIPTION
grubby is a command line tool for updating and displaying information about the configuration files for the grub, lilo, elilo (ia64), and yaboot (powerpc) boot loaders. It is primarily designed to be used from scripts which install new kernels and need to find information about the current boot environment. On Intel x86 platforms, grub is the default bootloader and the configuration file is in /boot/grub/grub.conf. On Intel ia64 platforms, elilo mode is used and the default location for the configuration file is /boot/grub/grub.conf. On PowerPC platforms, yaboot parsing is used and the configuration file should be in /etc/yaboot.conf. There are a number of ways to specify the kernel used for --info, --remove-kernel, and --update-kernel. Specificying DEFAULT or ALL selects the default entry and all of the entries, respectively. If a comma separated list of numbers is given, the boot entries indexed by those numbers are selected. Finally, the title of a boot entry may be specified by using TITLE=title as the argument; all entries with that title are used. OPTIONS
--add-kernel=kernel-path Add a new boot entry for the kernel located at kernel-path. --args=kernel-args When a new kernel is added, this specifies the command line arguments which should be passed to the kernel by default (note they are merged with the arguments from the template if --copy-default is used). When --update-kernel is used, this specifies new arguments to add to the argument list. Multiple, space separated arguments may be used. If an argument already exists the new value replaces the old values. The root= kernel argument gets special handling if the configuration file has special handling for specifying the root filesystem (like lilo.conf does). --bad-image-okay When grubby is looking for a entry to use for something (such as a template or a default boot entry) it uses sanity checks, such as ensuring that the kernel exists in the filesystem, to make sure entries that obviously won't work aren't selected. This option over- rides that behavior, and is designed primarily for testing. --boot-filesystem=bootfs The grub boot loader expects file paths listed in it's configuration path to be relative to the top of the filesystem they are on, rather then relative to the current root filesystem. By default grubby searches the list of currently mounted filesystems to deter- mine this. If this option is given grubby acts as if the specified filesystem was the filesystem containing the kernel (this option is designed primarily for testing). --bootloader-probe grubby tries to determine if grub or lilo is currently installed. When one of those bootloaders is found the name of that bootloader is displayed on stdout. Both could be installed (on different devices), and grubby will print out the names of both bootloaders, one per line. The probe for grub requires a commented out boot directive grub.conf identical to the standard directive in the lilo configuration file. If this is not present grubby will assume grub is not installed (note that anaconda places this directive in grub.conf files it creates). This option is only available on ia32 platforms. --config-file=path Use path as the configuration file rather then the default. --copy-default grubby will copy as much information (such as kernel arguments and root device) as possible from the current default kernel. The kernel path and initrd path will never be copied. --default-kernel Display the full path to the current default kernel and exit. --elilo Use an elilo style configuration file. --grub Use a grub style configuration file instead of lilo style. This is the default on ia32 platforms. --info=kernel-path Display information on all boot entries which match kernel-path. I --initrd=initrd-path Use initrd-path as the path to an initial ram disk for a new kernel being added. --lilo Use a lilo style configuration file. --make-default Make the new kernel entry being added the default entry. --remove-args=kernel-args The arguments specified by kernel-args are removed from the kernels specified by --update-kernel. The root argument gets special handling for configuration files that support separate root filesystem configuration. --remove-kernel=kernel-path Removes all boot entries which match kernel-path. This may be used along with --add-kernel, in which case the new kernel being added will never be removed. --set-default=kernel-path The first entry which boots the specified kernel is made the default boot entry. --title=entry-title When a new kernel entry is added entry-title is used as the title (lilo label) for the entry. If entry-title is longer then maximum length allowed by the bootloader (15 for lilo, unlimited for grub and elilo) the title is shortened to a (unique) entry. --update-kernel=kernel-path The entries for kernels matching kernel-path are updated. Currently the only items that can be updated is the kernel argument list, which is modified via the --args and --remove-args options. --version Display the version of grubby being run and then exit immediately. --yaboot Use an yaboot style configuration file. BUGS
The command line syntax is more then a little baroque. This probably won't be fixed as grubby is only intended to be called from shell scripts which can get it right. SEE ALSO
grub(8), lilo(8), yaboot(8), mkinitrd(8) AUTHOR
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Thu Jun 21 2002 GRUBBY(8)