Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 11 disk issue
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 disk issue Post 302818549 by jlliagre on Friday 7th of June 2013 05:31:49 PM
Old 06-07-2013
Quote:
This worked fine, but the issue is I wanted to actually partition the disk then use one partition for NFS ,SMB etc. If I just create back another pool, I have access to the disk , but not able create partitions.
It seems you are confusing partitions and file systems here. You certainly can create new file systems in your existing ZFS pool and dedicate them to NFS, SMB or whatever you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 8 disk/mirroring issue

Hello! I recently inherited system administration duties for a SUN v880 box. The system has 6 physical hard disks.. In doing some basic maintenance, I found they're configured for mirroring. I ran the metastat and metadb commands, and many of the mirrors are showing they are in need of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
5 Replies

2. AIX

disk issue

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3 box here with problems cause of a disk in below VG. volume group: workvg lspv hdisk4 000166789869ab2d workvg hdisk5 000166789869b96b workvg now hdisk4 disk has failed and cause the quorum was set, workvg became varied off. I have to replace the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partition disk issue

hi guys, I've got a strange issue, may be one of you has experienced this. SunOS 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 everything is mirrored. My issue is that I have a umpty directory but seems to have data on. Let me show you # df -h /data Filesystem size used... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
10 Replies

5. AIX

Disk I/O Issue

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

6. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation issue Error 25: Disk cannot be read - Solved

Hi all, I guess most of you have seen this error message while installing Solaris 10 on an x86 platform. I got the error message while installing from DVD ISO on my home VMWare ESXi server. It took me a long time to figure the exact issue and a subsequent solution. the solution is very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Server disk issue need help

Hello all, Our Solaris 9? Sun Fire 480R backup server(in another city) is throwing disk errors such as these repeatedly. WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 24037056: Uncorrectable read error WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 7767072: Uncorrectable write error ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: RyanV
18 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD