Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 11 disk issue
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 disk issue Post 302818085 by cbtshare on Friday 7th of June 2013 02:16:46 AM
Old 06-07-2013
Solaris 11 disk issue[solved]

I have 2 disks in my system.I recently added a zpool to the disk, but today I changed my mind and deleted the zpool ,
zpool destroy -f extra

The zpool is now deleted and I want to partition the disk, so I delete the only partition on the disk.

Now when I run format again,

Code:
format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c7d0 <SAMSUNG-S14JJ9DP72414-0001-149.05GB>
          /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@0/cmdk@0,0
       1. c8d1 <drive type unknown>
          /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@1/cmdk@1,0

Specify disk (enter its number): 1

AVAILABLE DRIVE TYPES:
        0. other

My issue is I can see the drive but I cannot access it (pressing 1)to partition it,I get the message above.Can anyone help?

Last edited by cbtshare; 06-07-2013 at 07:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 8 disk/mirroring issue

Hello! I recently inherited system administration duties for a SUN v880 box. The system has 6 physical hard disks.. In doing some basic maintenance, I found they're configured for mirroring. I ran the metastat and metadb commands, and many of the mirrors are showing they are in need of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
5 Replies

2. AIX

disk issue

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3 box here with problems cause of a disk in below VG. volume group: workvg lspv hdisk4 000166789869ab2d workvg hdisk5 000166789869b96b workvg now hdisk4 disk has failed and cause the quorum was set, workvg became varied off. I have to replace the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partition disk issue

hi guys, I've got a strange issue, may be one of you has experienced this. SunOS 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 everything is mirrored. My issue is that I have a umpty directory but seems to have data on. Let me show you # df -h /data Filesystem size used... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
10 Replies

5. AIX

Disk I/O Issue

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

6. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation issue Error 25: Disk cannot be read - Solved

Hi all, I guess most of you have seen this error message while installing Solaris 10 on an x86 platform. I got the error message while installing from DVD ISO on my home VMWare ESXi server. It took me a long time to figure the exact issue and a subsequent solution. the solution is very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Server disk issue need help

Hello all, Our Solaris 9? Sun Fire 480R backup server(in another city) is throwing disk errors such as these repeatedly. WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 24037056: Uncorrectable read error WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 7767072: Uncorrectable write error ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: RyanV
18 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)