Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append this string to end of each line Post 302817621 by balajesuri on Thursday 6th of June 2013 07:21:56 AM
Old 06-06-2013
Code:
sed 's/$/ is a great language/' languages.txt

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO Append String to End of Line

I have a comma delimited text file and need to appened ",000000" to the end of every line. For example: Before: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll $" ,1103.45 After: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I append a string at the end of a line in a file

Hi, guys. I have one question: I have a file called "group", the contents of it is below: ******************************** ... test:x:203: sales:x:204: repair:x:205: research:x:206:brownj ... *********** Now I want to add string ",sherrys" at the end of "research:x:206:brownj", so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I append a ^M to the end of each 129 character string

Hello all, I have a stumper of a problem. I am trying to append a ^M or "newline" to the end of each 129 character string in a huge file in unix. Each string starts with A00. I am trying to get the file to go from... A00vswjdv1 Test Junk Junk A00vswjdv2 Test Junk Junk ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Captain
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a string at the end of every line in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file with many lines as shown below. /START SAMPLE LINE/ M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\port\Post.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\switchview\View.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a /END SAMPLE LINE/ I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append the end of each line in a file with a given string

Hi friends, I have a file containing many lines as follows. M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\ADBasicView.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a I would like to append the string "\0" at the end of each line in the file. The output should look... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append char to the end of string from Nth column

I'm sure this is easy to do but I can't find a one line command with awk or sed to append a char to the end of the string from Nth column. Any sugestion please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabrao
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string, then append character to end of that line only

I have 2 files that I am working with $ cat file1 server1 server3 server5 server6 server8 $ cat file2 server1;Solaris; server2; SLES; server3;Linux; server4; Solaris; server5;SLES; server6;SLES; server7;Solaris; server8;Linux; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically

hi, i need a help in the script , need to append a string at the end of each line of a files , and append the files into a single file vertically. eg file1 has the following columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa files 2 has the following rows and columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)