Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Display Chinese and Japanese characters on my SLES console. Post 302817323 by DGPickett on Wednesday 5th of June 2013 02:53:24 PM
Old 06-05-2013
Check locale -a, maybe export LC_ALL=ja_JP.utf8
?
C.utf8 ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Chinese characters on Sol 2.7

Hi there, I need to get a Chinese disclaimer attached to an email on a Solaris 2.7 box. The disclaimer we use is in English and stored as a text file although I've been asked to see if we can add the Chinsese one? Is it simply just a matter of adding the Chinese locale to the OS or is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hayez
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Chinese characters in Vi editor

Dear All, I have excel files containing Chinese characters. I have a requirement to display the contents of both the English and the Chinese files in the Unix box using the vi editor. But I when I try to open the Chinese files, the characters are junk. Can one of you help me in getting rid of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email a File from UNIX which has Japanese characters in it

Hi, I'm trying to email from UNIX, a file which has Japanese characters in it (i,e. in the contents -- not the filename). The file gets emailed, but the Japanese characters do not show up properly when I open the file on Windows in my Outlook mailbox. I searched a lot of forums but still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jainkirti
4 Replies

4. Programming

Netbeans ide can't display chinese character in linux

When i write the source code in netbeans environment,if the source code,there are chinese characters,chinese characters will be displayed as box,how to solve this problem?please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fang_xiaoan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete

Greetings, I want to use a script (preferably awk) which determines if the first character in a line is double-byte (as in Japanese or Chinese) and deletes it. For example: (in the above quote, I see Japanese on my screen for two lines - with 2 characters in the first and 3 characters in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubbeauty
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Chinese / Global characters problem

Hello, I have large xml files with chinese characters on a windows box and they need to be FTP'd to UNIX box. When I ftp the file, the chinese text converts to junk characters. I tried changing my setting on putty to UTF-8, but still cannot view the correct text. Is there something I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokool420
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with non-chinese characters from xml file

Hi there, I'm looking for a way to remove all lines that don't contain chinese characters from an xml file. Example: http://pastebin.com/8KzSbCKe The result should be like this: http://pastebin.com/ZywXsNhx Only lines that don't contain chinese characters should be deleted. If theres a mix of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4rb4g3
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)?

Hi, One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)? If the answer is yes, then how to implement it? Thank you in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on Rhel 6?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my RHEL 6 Console. There is no more "bogl-bterm" for RHEL6, that is not supported anymore. Is there any way that I could display them? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies
open(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 open(3pm)

NAME
open - perl pragma to set default PerlIO layers for input and output SYNOPSIS
use open IN => ":crlf", OUT => ":bytes"; use open OUT => ':utf8'; use open IO => ":encoding(iso-8859-7)"; use open IO => ':locale'; use open ':encoding(utf8)'; use open ':locale'; use open ':encoding(iso-8859-7)'; use open ':std'; DESCRIPTION
Full-fledged support for I/O layers is now implemented provided Perl is configured to use PerlIO as its IO system (which is now the default). The "open" pragma serves as one of the interfaces to declare default "layers" (also known as "disciplines") for all I/O. Any two-argument open(), readpipe() (aka qx//) and similar operators found within the lexical scope of this pragma will use the declared defaults. Even three-argument opens may be affected by this pragma when they don't specify IO layers in MODE. With the "IN" subpragma you can declare the default layers of input streams, and with the "OUT" subpragma you can declare the default layers of output streams. With the "IO" subpragma you can control both input and output streams simultaneously. If you have a legacy encoding, you can use the ":encoding(...)" tag. If you want to set your encoding layers based on your locale environment variables, you can use the ":locale" tag. For example: $ENV{LANG} = 'ru_RU.KOI8-R'; # the :locale will probe the locale environment variables like LANG use open OUT => ':locale'; open(O, ">koi8"); print O chr(0x430); # Unicode CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER A = KOI8-R 0xc1 close O; open(I, "<koi8"); printf "%#x ", ord(<I>), " "; # this should print 0xc1 close I; These are equivalent use open ':encoding(utf8)'; use open IO => ':encoding(utf8)'; as are these use open ':locale'; use open IO => ':locale'; and these use open ':encoding(iso-8859-7)'; use open IO => ':encoding(iso-8859-7)'; The matching of encoding names is loose: case does not matter, and many encodings have several aliases. See Encode::Supported for details and the list of supported locales. When open() is given an explicit list of layers (with the three-arg syntax), they override the list declared using this pragma. open() can also be given a single colon (:) for a layer name, to override this pragma and use the default (":raw" on Unix, ":crlf" on Windows). The ":std" subpragma on its own has no effect, but if combined with the ":utf8" or ":encoding" subpragmas, it converts the standard filehandles (STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR) to comply with encoding selected for input/output handles. For example, if both input and out are chosen to be ":encoding(utf8)", a ":std" will mean that STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR are also in ":encoding(utf8)". On the other hand, if only output is chosen to be in ":encoding(koi8r)", a ":std" will cause only the STDOUT and STDERR to be in "koi8r". The ":locale" subpragma implicitly turns on ":std". The logic of ":locale" is described in full in encoding, but in short it is first trying nl_langinfo(CODESET) and then guessing from the LC_ALL and LANG locale environment variables. Directory handles may also support PerlIO layers in the future. NONPERLIO FUNCTIONALITY
If Perl is not built to use PerlIO as its IO system then only the two pseudo-layers ":bytes" and ":crlf" are available. The ":bytes" layer corresponds to "binary mode" and the ":crlf" layer corresponds to "text mode" on platforms that distinguish between the two modes when opening files (which is many DOS-like platforms, including Windows). These two layers are no-ops on platforms where binmode() is a no-op, but perform their functions everywhere if PerlIO is enabled. IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS
There is a class method in "PerlIO::Layer" "find" which is implemented as XS code. It is called by "import" to validate the layers: PerlIO::Layer::->find("perlio") The return value (if defined) is a Perl object, of class "PerlIO::Layer" which is created by the C code in perlio.c. As yet there is nothing useful you can do with the object at the perl level. SEE ALSO
"binmode" in perlfunc, "open" in perlfunc, perlunicode, PerlIO, encoding perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 open(3pm)