Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS? Post 302808453 by fpmurphy on Thursday 16th of May 2013 07:28:24 PM
Old 05-16-2013
Linux does not natively support NFTS. You can format a FAT32 filesystem in Fedora using something like the following
Code:
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdb3

or
Code:
mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/sdb3

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

converting file systems (FAT32 to NTFS)

People who still have FAT32, usaly have 2 or more operating systems running on their computer. An example of that is like runnging OS x over Windows 95 or XP. Stuff like that. On one of my lap tops, I have Linux, Unix, and OS x running on one HD. The OS x runs really really slow thought...I hardly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Find a Fat32 partition under solaris 10 x86

Hello, I use Sun Solaris 10 under a x86 computer, and I want to mount a Fat32 partition who are stored in the same disk with the UFS filesystem. But, before mount this partition, I need to know is location in /dev/dsk Because there are a lot of file "c0t0d0" etc..., and I didn't find my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willits
4 Replies

5. SuSE

writing on win ntfs partition from linux

Is it possible to save a file from linux environment to a windows ntfs partition? I use SUSE 8.3 and I can access win ntfs files only as read only. I want to know whether writing is possible on win ntfs partition. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyashkunte
2 Replies

6. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fat32 vs ntfs

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Interoperability Is this no longer accurate about fat32? I just used a 4 gb flash drive to share several video files between Windows XP and Linux Mint. I also plan on sharing several files in the future with that 4 gb flash drive between XP and Mint so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

No option to create partition using FAT32

Hi, i have a new laptop without any OS. I'm about to install win 7. i have a FreeDos CD and I'm currently trying to install it. My hard drive has about 610 000 GB space. I'm unable to create a partition bigger than ~2 GB. I know that normally when you start FDISK, you're asked if you want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harriii
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks... it was pre-installed with windows 8.0.. I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [options] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX filesystem on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The device may be a block device or a image file of one, but this is not enforced. Expect not much fun on a character device :-). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device for bad blocks before creating the filesystem. If any are found, the count is printed. -n, --namelength length Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30 for file system versions 1 and 2. Ver- sion 3 allows only value 60. The default is 30. -i, --inodes number Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l, --badblocks filename Read the list of bad blocks from filename. The file has one bad-block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -1 Make a Minix version 1 filesystem. This is the default. -2, -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. -3 Make a Minix version 3 filesystem. -V, --version Display version information and exit. The long option cannot be combined with other options. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
fsck(8), mkfs(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2015 MKFS.MINIX(8)