Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NTP server name and ip details on Linux/Solaris Post 302807391 by DGPickett on Tuesday 14th of May 2013 03:35:28 PM
Old 05-14-2013
NTP servers come in many forms, but usually the configuration can be read. If configured with IP, do an nslookup to see if it reverses. I cannot say whether name or IP is more reliable, but usually a name is used, so there can be multiple IP supporting the name. If you do not have infrastructure guys to tell you what the internal NTP is, you may need to use an Internet one. My ntp is xntpd, and the default config is /etc/ntp.conf, but I cannot open it. However, 'ntpq -dp -ccooked' shows me three time servers! My windows internet time has an amazing huge list of servers, protocols.

A system that gets time, but does not serve time to the network, is a client. It just needs a server or two to call periodically to keep the clock in sync.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment...???

Hi, Can someone let me know the detail procedure for configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment....??? I would like to use any NTP Server on Windows Server & rest of the systems running with Solaris 10/9 & Linux be as NTP Client. All NTP Client should take the time from NTP Server... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
8 Replies

3. Gentoo

connect linux to ntp server

could you please tell me how to connect a linux or Unix server to Network Time Server??? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alkingg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting UNIX/Linux to NTP server

Hello i want to connect my solaris & Linux boxes to ntp server i used the command /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u <NTP-IP> and added the NTP server as server in /etc/ntp.conf please help in completing the process and verifying it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learn82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment. Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgand
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about these quantities clearly. It is very much required for my project please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgand
3 Replies

7. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Linux

Configure ntp server and Linux in oel 5.9

i want to configure machine1 as ntp server. this machine has oel 5.9 64 bit installed and this machine is not connected to internet neither there is any ntp server. there is another machine2 and i want to configure that as ntp client. plz do tell me that what lines do i add in /etc/ntp.conf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
ntp_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      ntp_intro(7)

NAME
ntp_intro - Network Time Protocol (NTP) introductory information DESCRIPTION
The Tru64 UNIX software supports two time services: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP) Because it can be traced to clocks of high absolute accuracy, NTP provides a more accurate time service than TSP. By contrast, TSP syn- chronizes time to the average of the network host times. TSP is an acceptable time service if your system is not on the Internet and does not have access to a highly accurate time server; otherwise, NTP is recommended. Network Time Protocol The Network Time Protocol (NTP) provides accurate, dependable, and synchronized time for hosts on both wide area networks (like the Inter- net) and local area networks. In particular, NTP provides synchronization traceable to clocks of high absolute accuracy, and avoids syn- chronization to clocks keeping bad time. Hosts running NTP periodically exchange datagrams querying each other about their current estimate of the time. Using the round-trip time of the packet, a host can estimate the one-way delay to the other host. (The assumption is that the delay is roughly equal in both direc- tions.) By measuring the one-way delay and examining the timestamps that are returned with the NTP packet, a host computes the difference between its clock time and that of the host it queried. A host queries a remote host several times over a period and feeds the results from the multiple samples to a digital-filtering algorithm. The algorithm provides a more accurate estimate of the delay, clock offset, and clock stability than could be obtained with a single sam- ple. NTP messages also contain information about the accuracy and reliability of the time sources. An NTP host connected directly to a highly accurate time source, such as a radio receiver tuned to a time code signal broadcast by a government agency, is called a stratum 1 server. Every other NTP host adopts a stratum number that is one higher than the host from which it sets its own time. For example, a host syn- chronized to a stratum 1 server becomes a stratum 2 host. Stratum determination is done automatically, and the stratum of a host can vary as its connectivity changes. A host running NTP combines various information to decide which of the hosts it queried provides the time it believes to be the most accu- rate. This information includes the output of the digital-filtering algorithm and the stratum numbers of the hosts it queried. By commu- nicating with several other hosts, an NTP host can usually detect those hosts that are keeping bad time, and is able to stay synchronized even if some of the other hosts become unavailable for long periods. In practice, NTP is able to synchronize clocks to within a few milliseconds even over wide area networks spanning thousands of miles. To obtain even greater accuracy, use the NTP_TIME kernel option. See System Administration for more information. You can optionally use a high-resolution clock, enabling the time returned by the clock_gettime routine to be extrapolated between the clock ticks. The granularity of the time returned will be in microseconds. To use the high-resolution clock, use the MICRO_TIME kernel option. For detailed information on NTP, see Network Time Protocol (Version 3) (RFC 1305). Time Synchronization Protocol The Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP) is the protocol used by the daemon. In its simplest application, the TSP servers on a broadcast network (for example, an Ethernet) periodically broadcast TSP packets. The hosts on the network elect one of the hosts on the network run- ning TSP as a master. The master then controls the further operation of the protocol until it fails and a new master is elected. The mas- ter collects time values from the other hosts and computes the average of all the times reported. It then sets its own clock to this aver- age, and tells the other hosts to synchronize their clocks with it. TSP quickly synchronizes all participating hosts. However, because TSP does not trace time back to sources of known accuracy, it is unable to correct for systematic errors. If a clock drifts significantly, or if a mistake is made in setting the time on a participating host, the average time calculated and distributed by the master can be affected significantly. For information on setting up the network time services, refer to Network Administration. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ntp(1), ntpdate(8), ntptrace(8), timedsetup(8), xntpdc(8) Functions: ctime(3) Files: ntp.conf(4), ntp.drift(4), ntp.keys(4) Daemons: timed(8), xntpd(8) Network Time Protocol (Version 3) (RFC 1305) Network Administration System Administration delim off ntp_intro(7)