Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NTP server name and ip details on Linux/Solaris Post 302806803 by DGPickett on Monday 13th of May 2013 05:00:03 PM
Old 05-13-2013
Usually, you ntp off the nearer gov sites like USNO, or a corporate or site standard that chains back to same. Is your dilemma how to configure a client to listen, or how to configure server to listen to his master sources and serve clients? Often a firewall does this function, as it is on the Internet and can hit gov servers and provide time to the inside.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment...???

Hi, Can someone let me know the detail procedure for configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment....??? I would like to use any NTP Server on Windows Server & rest of the systems running with Solaris 10/9 & Linux be as NTP Client. All NTP Client should take the time from NTP Server... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
8 Replies

3. Gentoo

connect linux to ntp server

could you please tell me how to connect a linux or Unix server to Network Time Server??? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alkingg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting UNIX/Linux to NTP server

Hello i want to connect my solaris & Linux boxes to ntp server i used the command /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u <NTP-IP> and added the NTP server as server in /etc/ntp.conf please help in completing the process and verifying it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learn82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment. Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgand
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about these quantities clearly. It is very much required for my project please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgand
3 Replies

7. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Linux

Configure ntp server and Linux in oel 5.9

i want to configure machine1 as ntp server. this machine has oel 5.9 64 bit installed and this machine is not connected to internet neither there is any ntp server. there is another machine2 and i want to configure that as ntp client. plz do tell me that what lines do i add in /etc/ntp.conf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
nameserv::server(n)					       Name service facility					       nameserv::server(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
nameserv::server - Name service facility, Server SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require nameserv::server ?0.3.2? package require comm package require interp package require logger ::nameserv::server::start ::nameserv::server::stop ::nameserv::server::active? ::nameserv::server::cget -option ::nameserv::server::configure ::nameserv::server::configure -option ::nameserv::server::configure -option value... _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Please read Name service facility, introduction first. This package provides an implementation of the serviver side of the name service facility queried by the client provided by the package nameserv. All information required by the server will be held in memory. There is no persistent state. This service is built in top of and for the package comm. It has nothing to do with the Internet's Domain Name System. If the reader is looking for a package dealing with that please see Tcllib's packages dns and resolv. This server supports the Core protocol feature, and since version 0.3 the Search/Continuous feature as well. API
The package exports five commands, as specified below: ::nameserv::server::start This command starts the server and causes it to listen on the configured port. From now on clients are able to connect and make requests. The result of the command is the empty string. Note that any incoming requests will only be handled if the application the server is part of does enter an event loop after this command has been run. ::nameserv::server::stop Invoking this command stops the server and releases all information it had. Existing connections are shut down, and no new connec- tions will be accepted any longer. The result of the command is the empty string. ::nameserv::server::active? This command returns a boolean value indicating the state of the server. The result will be true if the server is active, i.e. has been started, and false otherwise. ::nameserv::server::cget -option This command returns the currently configured value for the specified -option. The list of supported options and their meaning can be found in section OPTIONS. ::nameserv::server::configure In this form the command returns a dictionary of all supported options, and their current values. The list of supported options and their meaning can be found in section OPTIONS. ::nameserv::server::configure -option In this form the command is an alias for "::nameserv::server::cget -option]". The list of supported options and their meaning can be found in section OPTIONS. ::nameserv::server::configure -option value... In this form the command is used to configure one or more of the supported options. At least one option has to be specified, and each option is followed by its new value. The list of supported options and their meaning can be found in section OPTIONS. This form can be used only if the server is not active, i.e. has not been started yet, or has been stopped. While the server is active it cannot be reconfigured. OPTIONS
The options supported by the server are for the specification of the TCP port to listen on, and whether to accept non-local connections or not. They are: -localonly bool This option specifies whether to accept only local connections (-localonly 1) or remote connections as well (-localonly 0). The default is to accept only local connections. -port number This option specifies the port the name service will listen on after it has been started. It has to be a positive integer number (> 0) not greater than 65536 (unsigned short). The initial default is the number returned by the command ::nameserv::server::com- mon::port, as provided by the package ::nameserv::server::common. HISTORY
0.3 Extended the server with the ability to perform asynchronous and continuous searches. 0.2 Changed name of -local switch to -localonly. 0.1 Initial implementation of the server. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category nameserv of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
nameserv::client(n), nameserv::common(n) KEYWORDS
name service, server CATEGORY
Networking COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> nns 0.3.2 nameserv::server(n)