Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash, remove numbers after colon Post 302806109 by bakunin on Sunday 12th of May 2013 01:53:34 PM
Old 05-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3therk1ll
Yeah I just meant a text file
In this case you should read the file line by line and then do what i showed you in a loop, like this:

Code:
while read var ; do
     echo ${var%%:*}
done < /path/to/text.file

Instead of the "echo" insert whatever you want to do with the value. Using "awk" or "sed" (or "perl" or whatever) for the same purpose will be slower because these programs have to be invoked while parameter expansion is done within the shell itself.

If your goal is not solely to produce a modified file (in this case "sed" is the best solution) but to do something inside the shell with the values thus generated you should do it like i told you.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all lines with something other than numbers

Hi, How would I get rid of lines having something else than numbers (such as tabs,white space, special characters, empty line, letters). So I have big file with numers as follows: 12345678901 23456789012 32343678901 42345638901 52345678901 and I sometimes the file might contain some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a colon and number and leaving the rest

just have a file 1:2333 2:-09393 ]3:45453 4:-09999 5:-09933 6:93939 question is to get output by removing colons as well as number before each colon (in bold) 2333 -09393 45453 -09999 09933 93939 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove numbers from filename

Hi all, Can I edit this script: find . -type f | while read i;do && mv "$i" "${i//abc/}" ;done so that it will not only take out abc from the filename but also take out any numbers that might be in the filename as well. An example would be, Input: filename abc 2009.mov Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove the numbers

How can I remove the numeric (1,2,3,4,5,etc.) in front of each line? The file look like this.. 1CREATE OR REPLACE pROD (p_sc_id number, 2 p_snap_id number , p_sid number, p_halt varchar2 default 'N', p_a_nm varchar2 ) 3 as 4 v_rtn number; 5 6 v_rtn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash aliases and command chaining with ; (semi-colon)

What am I doing wrong here? Or is this not possible? A bug? alias f='find . >found 2>/dev/null &' f ; sleep 20 ; ls -l -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: star_man
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove char after Colon

Hi guys, This is my input 2735:<7001> 34 789 701 2 2774:<7001> 34 789 701 2 How to delete characters after colon : Including colon : too ? My output should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Numbers from file

I have a file that has some text that looks like this Some Text 1. More text 2. Different text Final Text I would like the remove the lines of text that start with the numbers. Some Text Final Text I have tried to use cat file.txt | grep -Ev 1. >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: icculus99
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numbers which has colon (:) in between

Although i tried multiple option i couldn't find a way to get the rigt ouput. Say i have the following data cat file.txt C request C response C request C response The output should look like (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove numbers

how to remove all numbers from this.Using sed command 1. abcd123 2. 312jjs33 (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash to remove find and remove specific extension

The bash below executes and does find all the .bam files in each R_2019 folder. However set -x shows that the .bam extension only gets removed from one .bam file in each folder (appears to be the last in each). Why is it not removing the extension from each (this is $SAMPLE)? Thank you :). set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)