Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NTP server name and ip details on Linux/Solaris Post 302805993 by sanzee007 on Sunday 12th of May 2013 03:29:28 AM
Old 05-12-2013
NTP server name and ip details on Linux/Solaris

Hi All,
Where can I find all the NTP server names/ip addresses on Linux/Solaris systems. How can I grep these names/IP address from specific files from a specific OS (Linux/Solaris).
I know on linux /etc/ntp.conf and /etc/ntp/ntp.conf on solaris contains these details. Whether I am right about these files or which other files can contain these details.?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment...???

Hi, Can someone let me know the detail procedure for configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment....??? I would like to use any NTP Server on Windows Server & rest of the systems running with Solaris 10/9 & Linux be as NTP Client. All NTP Client should take the time from NTP Server... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
8 Replies

3. Gentoo

connect linux to ntp server

could you please tell me how to connect a linux or Unix server to Network Time Server??? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alkingg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting UNIX/Linux to NTP server

Hello i want to connect my solaris & Linux boxes to ntp server i used the command /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u <NTP-IP> and added the NTP server as server in /etc/ntp.conf please help in completing the process and verifying it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learn82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment. Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgand
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about these quantities clearly. It is very much required for my project please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgand
3 Replies

7. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Linux

Configure ntp server and Linux in oel 5.9

i want to configure machine1 as ntp server. this machine has oel 5.9 64 bit installed and this machine is not connected to internet neither there is any ntp server. there is another machine2 and i want to configure that as ntp client. plz do tell me that what lines do i add in /etc/ntp.conf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)						  timesyncd.conf						 TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)

NAME
timesyncd.conf, timesyncd.conf.d - Network Time Synchronization configuration files SYNOPSIS
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf /run/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf /usr/lib/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
These configuration files control NTP network time synchronization. CONFIGURATION DIRECTORIES AND PRECEDENCE
The default configuration is defined during compilation, so a configuration file is only needed when it is necessary to deviate from those defaults. By default, the configuration file in /etc/systemd/ contains commented out entries showing the defaults as a guide to the administrator. This file can be edited to create local overrides. When packages need to customize the configuration, they can install configuration snippets in /usr/lib/systemd/*.conf.d/. Files in /etc/ are reserved for the local administrator, who may use this logic to override the configuration files installed by vendor packages. The main configuration file is read before any of the configuration directories, and has the lowest precedence; entries in a file in any configuration directory override entries in the single configuration file. Files in the *.conf.d/ configuration subdirectories are sorted by their filename in lexicographic order, regardless of which of the subdirectories they reside in. When multiple files specify the same option, for options which accept just a single value, the entry in the file with the lexicographically latest name takes precedence. For options which accept a list of values, entries are collected as they occur in files sorted lexicographically. It is recommended to prefix all filenames in those subdirectories with a two-digit number and a dash, to simplify the ordering of the files. To disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor, the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in the configuration directory in /etc/, with the same filename as the vendor configuration file. OPTIONS
The following settings are configured in the "[Time]" section: NTP= A space-separated list of NTP server host names or IP addresses. During runtime this list is combined with any per-interface NTP servers acquired from systemd-networkd.service(8). systemd-timesyncd will contact all configured system or per-interface servers in turn until one is found that responds. When the empty string is assigned, the list of NTP servers is reset, and all assignments prior to this one will have no effect. This setting defaults to an empty list. FallbackNTP= A space-separated list of NTP server host names or IP addresses to be used as the fallback NTP servers. Any per-interface NTP servers obtained from systemd-networkd.service(8) take precedence over this setting, as do any servers set via NTP= above. This setting is hence only used if no other NTP server information is known. When the empty string is assigned, the list of NTP servers is reset, and all assignments prior to this one will have no effect. If this option is not given, a compiled-in list of NTP servers is used instead. RootDistanceMaxSec= Maximum acceptable root distance. Takes a time value (in seconds). Defaults to 5 seconds. PollIntervalMinSec=, PollIntervalMaxSec= The minimum and maximum poll intervals for NTP messages. Each setting takes a time value (in seconds). PollIntervalMinSec= must not be smaller than 16 seconds. PollIntervalMaxSec= must be larger than PollIntervalMinSec=. PollIntervalMinSec= defaults to 32 seconds, and PollIntervalMaxSec= defaults to 2048 seconds. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-timesyncd.service(8), systemd-networkd.service(8) systemd 237 TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)