Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ls command question
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Ls command question Post 302804249 by jmartin99 on Wednesday 8th of May 2013 09:39:27 AM
Old 05-08-2013
Code:
$ uname
SunOS
$ echo $SHELL
/bin/ksh
$

Last edited by vbe; 05-08-2013 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: code tags next time please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about rm command

i have a lot of messages file in the var directory i want to delete now i want to keep messages.1 to messages.10 and then delete everything else after 10 which is like 10 to 96 obviously i cant delete these files individual, can someone tell me the command to delete messages.11 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMPTRUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about using tr command

Hello all: I'm trying to use the tr command to change some text in a file, but it is not working as expected. Here's what I'm trying: tr 'INVOIC01' 'INVOICZZ' < inputfile > outputfile It looks to be changing not just the entire string, but any characters within. I just want to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merliech
2 Replies

3. Solaris

question about command

On Solaris 8 - what is the equal command to chfs. Thanks carson (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

cp command Question?

I am trying to following.. cp -rp oradata to /prod1 /prod2 /prod3 How I can copy oradata directory in to multiple directories? Thanks -Ad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deal732
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Question

What does 'directory=`pwd $1` ' mean, I know pwd is present working directory, so does that command take the present working directory of the directory the user is in depending on the varible ($1)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayden
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while command question

Hi What does while ( : ); do ...... ...... ...... done; mean? Does "while ( : )" refer too while true? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv Command question

When I use the mv command like say, mv file1 ../, it will move file1 to the parent directory of my current working directory. But where would the file go if I do mv file ... (with 3 periods), where would this move file1? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaStErXLY
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about why a command does this

$ echo 2 * 3 > 5 is a valid inequality. This will create a file in the current directory named '5' with the number '2' in it, the names of all the files in the current directory, followed by the number '3' and 'is a valid inequality.' What I do not understand is why 'is a valid inequality' gets... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Unix command line and have a question about the "sort" command

I am going through the Unix Made Easy second edition book by John Muster. So far it's been very informative and I can tell it may be a bit out of date. In one of the exercises it talks about the "sort" command and using it to sort column's of data etc. The "sort" command has changed a bit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budfoxcat
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on command

Hi, can you please tell me what is the purpose of the following line: sh -c /home/dir/script.sh || exit 33 what i am confused is the || is this an OR boolean, or it might have some other purpose. do you know how this works ? i believe the first to run is the /home/dir/script.sh but what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: antoniotunin
4 Replies
DLB(6)								   Games Manual 							    DLB(6)

NAME
dlb - NetHack data librarian SYNOPSIS
dlb { xct } [ vfIC ] arguments... [ files... ] DESCRIPTION
Dlb is a file archiving tool in the spirit (and tradition) of tar for NetHack version 3.1 and higher. It is used to maintain the archive files from which NetHack reads special level files and other read-only information. Note that like tar the command and option specifiers are specified as a continuous string and are followed by any arguments required in the same order as the option specifiers. This facility is optional and may be excluded during NetHack configuration. COMMANDS
The x command causes dlb to extract the contents of the archive into the current directory. The c command causes dlb to create a new archive from files in the current directory. The t command lists the files in the archive. OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS
v verbose output f archive specify the archive. Default if f not specified is LIBFILE (usually the nhdat file in the playground). I lfile specify the file containing the list of files to put in to or extract from the archive if no files are listed on the command line. Default for archive creation if no files are listed is LIBLISTFILE. C dir change directory. Changes directory before trying to read any files (including the archive and the lfile). EXAMPLES
Create the default archive from the default file list: dlb c List the contents of the archive 'foo': dlb tf foo AUTHOR
Kenneth Lorber SEE ALSO
nethack(6), tar(1) BUGS
Not a good tar emulation; - does not mean stdin or stdout. Should include an optional compression facility. Not all read-only files for NetHack can be read out of an archive; examining the source is the only way to know which files can be. 4th Berkeley Distribution 28 Oct 1993 DLB(6)