Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX What is the limitation in AIX? Post 302803843 by verdepollo on Tuesday 7th of May 2013 02:22:45 PM
Old 05-07-2013
Using JFS2, there is no hard limit as far as I know.

There might be some limitations on the number of inodes your filesystem can allocate, although JFS2 can also perform on-demand inode allocation.

From IBM's official documentation:
Quote:
[...] the number of i-nodes available is limited by the size of the file system itself.
Theoretically JFS2 filesystems can support files up to 2 PBs in size. In reality however there's a pseudo-hard limit (the OS will warn you if you try to exceed this limit) set to 32 TB with files no larger than 16 TB.

So, if you were given an infinite amount of disk space under JFS2 it would be possible to have an infinite amount of files as long as the sum of their size did not exceed 2 PBs.

This means you still won't be able to store the whole Internet in your system. Smilie

EDIT: And yes, to the eyes of the OS, a directory is still a file.
This User Gave Thanks to verdepollo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find limitation

Hi , i'm trying to use "find "command with "-size "option but i encounter 2gb file limitation. Can you confirm this limitation ? Is there a simple way to do the same thing ? My command is : <clazz01g-notes01>/base/base01 # find /base/base01 -name '*.nsf' -size +5242880000c -exec ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i - File Size Limitation And Number Of Folders Limitation

Hi All, Can anyone please clarify me the following questions: 1. Is there any file size limitation in HP-UX 11i, that I can able to create upto certain size of file (say 2 GB) and not more then that???? 2. At max. how many files we can able to keep inside a folder???? 3. How many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundeep_mohanty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation of ls command

Hi, Iam using an alias to get the file count from one directory using normal ls command like ls file*|wc -l.If my file increases more than 35,000 ,my alias is not working.It shows that arg list too long. is that can be limitation of ls or problem in alias? I would appreciate if anyone can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a bug or a limitation?

Hi, I'm having a problem with a while loop syntax that doesn't seem to loop correctly. TODAY=`date +%d%m%Y` while read hostname #for hostname in $(cat $CONFIG) do OUTFILE=/tmp/health_check.$hostname.$TODAY if then touch $OUTFILE func_header else rm $OUTFILE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 : Limitation to 1 telnet session for some users

Hi, I search the way to limit, for a group on a AIX 5.3, one telnet session by user (Simultaneous). I search a lot in /etc/security but the only way found is with the pam authentication that i not use. No solution found also in smit menu... Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilong
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED on AIX Limitation

Hello, I have a problem running a script created in ksh for Linux (Tested on Debian 5.0, Ubuntu Server 10.04 and RHEL 5.1), it works properly. :b: I trying to pass it to a AIX 5.3. :wall: The problem is the character limit of 256 on a command system and SED. I need to cut the contents of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemesis.spa
8 Replies

7. AIX

Limitation for SFTP on AIX number of sessions

Hello. I am using AIX 6 and If wish to receive more than 500 files via SFTP, I get some time out errors. Could you please advise where is the limit for number of concurrent transfers setup in AIX Box or what is the limit and can that be changed? Many Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation on rm command

Hi all, does any one know ,if there is any limitation on rm command limitation referes here as a size . Ex:when my script try to rum rm command which have size of nearly 20-22 GB ..CPU load gets high ? if anyone know the relation of CPU load and limitation of rm command . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteshagrawal06
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limitation in addition

whats wrong with this addition? Whats the maximum number of digits can be handled? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ const=201234454654768979799999 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ let new+=const pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ echo $new -2152890657037557890 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX lpar bad disk I/O performance - 4k per IO limitation ?

Hi Guys, I have fresh new installed VIO 2.2.3.70 on a p710, 3 physical SAS disks, rootvg on hdisk0 and 3 VIO clients through vscsi, AIX7.1tl4 AIX6.1tl9 RHEL6.5ppc, each lpar has its rootvg installed on a LV on datavg (hdisk2) mapped to vhost0,1,2 There is no vg on hdisk1, I use it for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
1 Replies
EDQUOTA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						EDQUOTA(8)

NAME
edquota -- edit user quotas SYNOPSIS
edquota [-Hu] [-f file-system] [-p proto-username] -d | username ... edquota [-H] -g [-f file-system] [-p proto-groupname] -d | groupname ... edquota [-Hu] [-f file-system] [-h block#/inode#] [-s block#/inode#] [-t block grace time/inode grace time] -d | username ... edquota [-H] -g [-f file-system] [-h block#/inode#] [-s block#/inode#] [-t block grace time/inode grace time] -d | groupname ... edquota [-Hu] -c [-f file-system] username ... edquota [-H] -g -c [-f file-system] groupname ... DESCRIPTION
edquota is a quota editor. By default, or if the -u flag is specified, one or more users may be specified on the command line. Unless -h, -s, or -t are used, a temporary file is created for each user with an ASCII representation of the current disk quotas and grace time for that user. By default, quota for all quota-enabled file systems are edited; the -f option can be used to restrict it to a single file system. An editor is invoked on the ASCII file. The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR specifies otherwise. The quotas may then be modified, new quotas added, etc. Setting a quota to - or unlimited indicates that no quota should be imposed. Set- ting a quota to zero indicates that no allocation is permited. Setting a soft limit to zero with a unlimited hard limit indicates that allocations should be permitted on only a temporary basis. The current usage information in the file is for informational purposes; only the hard and soft limits, and grace time can be changed. Users are permitted to exceed their soft limits for a grace period that may be specified per user (or per-file system for quota version 1). Once the grace period has expired, the soft limit is enforced as a hard limit. The default grace period is one week. By default, disk quotas are in KB, grace time in seconds. Disk and inodes quota can be entered with a humanize_number(9) suffix (K for kilo, M for mega, G for giga, T for tera). Time can be entered with Y (year), W (week), D (day), H (hour) and M (minute) suffixes. Suffixes can be mixed (see EXAMPLES below). If the -H option if used, current quota, disk usage and time are displayed in a human-readable format. On leaving the editor, edquota reads the temporary file and modifies the on-disk quotas to reflect the changes made. If the -p flag is specified, edquota will duplicate the quotas of the prototypical user specified for each user specified. The -h, -s, and -t flags can be used to change quota limits (hard, soft and grace time, respectively) without user interaction, for usage in e.g. batch scripts. The arguments are the new block and inode number limit or grace time, separated by a slash. Units suffix may be used, as in the editor above. If the -g flag is specified, edquota is invoked to edit the quotas of one or more groups specified on the command line. With quota version 2, there is a per-file system user or group default quota to be copied to a user or group quota on the first allocation. The -d flag adds the default quota to the list of users or groups to edit. For quota version 1, there is no default block/inode quota, and no per-user/group grace time. To edit the file system-wide grace time, use -d. On quota2-enabled file systems, the -c flag cause edquota to clear quota entries for the specified users or groups. If disk or inode usages is not 0, limits are reverted to the default quota. If disk and inode usages are 0, the existing quota entries are freed. Only the super-user may edit quotas. EXAMPLES
Edit quotas for group games on all quota-enabled file systems: edquota -g Set 4MB hard block limit, 2MB soft block limit, 2048 inode hard limit, 1024 inode soft limit, 2 weeks and 3 days (or 17 days) block and inode grace time for the default quotas on file system /home: edquota -h 4M/2k -s 2M/1k -t 2W3D/2W3D -f /home -u -d SEE ALSO
quota(1), humanize_number(3), libquota(3), fstab(5), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), quotarestore(8), repquota(8) BSD
January 29, 2012 BSD